Madagascar is the missing link

5 minutes ago, HOOSIER GUNZ said:

Interesting, maybe?  Could it be a little too emotionally reflective to perform now?

Axl will say bs but something on CD had to be inspired by being abandoned by Slash. 

Madagascar broke off from something bigger than itself. And I think the metaphor goes that Axl was abandoned by something other than a singular relationship such as with Stephanie and that's why the lyrics refer to "they" instead of "you" like the rest of CD...he's referring to a group that abandoned him and left him to fail. 

So the song is about finding a way back through this new found freedom of abandonment 

• Like 1

Madagascar is sort of rationale for the CD era though isn't it? Like the self righteous reasoning for it. These people let me down but I will survive. And SOD is similar but it's more about the determination to carry on. Both are like Axl on the ropes. 

But Slash on GNR's Kashmir could be great. But they aren't really down right now. It's a new day, maybe that's why they need some new songs. A theme tune for the GNR plane. 

Would love Madagascar, it's been missing for too long imo. IRS and SoD would be cool too.

I think it's a shame they seem to have stopped playing a CD-song at the beginning of the encore. I am hoping for TWAT, prostitute or catcher in Stockholm next week. 

3 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I think Chinese Democracy is largely about Axl trying to piece himself back together.

It's a superficial analysis to say that Madagascar is about redemption although it certainly is, it's also conceivably about the cognitive paths in Axl's mind being blocked to him and the things that weigh heavy on his soul. 

Nothing on that record is any one thing. 

Madagascar was one of the first things Axl did for CD. 

There's somekind of chronology that tells a story. 

This I Love

Catcher in the Rye

Madagascar

Chinese Democracy

Riad N the Bedouins

Street of Dreams

IRS

There was a Time

Prostitute

Better

If the World

Shackler's Revenge

Scraped

Sorry

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl will say bs but something on CD had to be inspired by being abandoned by Slash. 

Madagascar broke off from something bigger than itself. And I think the metaphor goes that Axl was abandoned by something other than a singular relationship such as with Stephanie and that's why the lyrics refer to "they" instead of "you" like the rest of CD...he's referring to a group that abandoned him and left him to fail. 

So the song is about finding a way back through this new found freedom of abandonment 

He specifically said at Rio that "hopefully this will express my sentiments...." and although he didn't qualify with "about the breakup of the old band" the title pretty much confirms it. It's amazing to me how seemingly nobody ever reflected on the title and what he was saying with it. 

I'd really, really love to hear the current band play it and since they're doing Sorry I don't know why they wouldn't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jordan Rose said:

He specifically said at Rio that "hopefully this will express my sentiments...." and although he didn't qualify with "about the breakup of the old band" the title pretty much confirms it. It's amazing to me how seemingly nobody ever reflected on the title and what he was saying with it. 

I'd really, really love to hear the current band play it and since they're doing Sorry I don't know why they wouldn't. 

They also played Prostitute during some of the soundchecks

21 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I like Maddy, but I'm not sure it would feel right with band.

I'm surprised they haven't tried SOD, seems like it would fit right in.

Maddy, Shackler's Revenge, Street of Dreams and Prostitute are the songs I wanna hear live.  

I hope that their version of SoD is based on the live performances from 2001/2002. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Maddy, Shackler's Revenge, Street of Dreams and Prostitute are the songs I wanna hear live.  

I hope that their version of SoD is based on the live performances from 2001/2002. 

"The Blues". Those early performances were the best.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sosso said:

They also played Prostitute during some of the soundchecks

Yeah, exactly. It is a tiny bit disappointing that Slither has disappeared off the list and that Slash and Duff haven't been able to influence a more fluid setlist over the last year but who knows, maybe they're just as adamant that the set remain static right now. The fact is it was their choice to rehearse and go with as many Chinese songs as they did and no doubt they're aware of the lull in the crowd during those songs. They've thrown Catcher, Sorry and Twat out there in addition to the three mainstays so to add something as obscure as Prostitute at this point in a stadium setting  would probably make them feel a little uneasy. Plus it's a pig to sing. I'm sure we'll hear some of the other stuff and deeper Illusions cuts over the next 5-10 years as they play arenas in different markets. It wouldn't surprise me to see Madagascar and SoD become regulars again at some point.