Staffless Conveinence Store

wasted

Thanks for posting this

Theres a radio program on Canadas National Public Broadcaster about technology.  Its called Spark.  Its tag line is "The future is coming.  Arrive intact."  Sounds so ominous to me, especially a show that celebrates tech.

To me, Bingobox is a good example of why the tag line is suitable.

First thing that strikes me is that I have really enjoyed nice rapports with convenience store clerks.  My life has been enriched by chats and running jokes, and community news sharing with the clerks.   And, in many cases, there has been an exchange of practicing english as part of a cultural exchange where I learn of other cultures.  Ive held newborns in celebration, Ive been encouraged through recovery from an Achilles Heel injury, I would miss it all greatly.

And then of course theres the jobs being lost.

For me personally, I like to use cash.  I just do.  But I also don't care to have my buying habits collected, bought and sold.  I do not see capitalism as my friend or a neutral and therefore do not seek to aid it with info.  

And I dont trust it to not be hacked and prevent me from purchasing freely.

'Weapons of Math Destruction, how big data increases inequality and threatens democracy' by Cathy O'Neil is a great read.  Basically algorithms are far from accurate.  So the info tracked through this method of payment potentially produces decisions made on my behalf that harm instead of help due to flawed programming and ideology.  

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Everything is mobiley and credit cardy now.

Have you seen people speak on their phones without putting the phone to their head? It is the weirdest thing ever seen.

It's not really. No more weird than people walking down the street talking into a mobile phone was 20 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

It's not really. No more weird than people walking down the street talking into a mobile phone was 20 years ago. 

Well my first reaction is always, ''there is a nutter talking to himself''.

I bet you're the modern city man Dazey. I bet you have the landyard and walk around Manchester with a polystyrene cup of 'la-di-da' coffee and a copy of the Guardian tucked under your arm?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well my first reaction is always, ''there is a nutter talking to himself''.

I bet you're the modern city man Dazey. I bet you have the landyard and walk around Manchester with a polystyrene cup of 'la-di-da' coffee and a copy of the Guardian tucked under your arm?

I feel we've had this conversation before. I used to have a large cup of tea from Costa that I drank on the train from Manchester to Widnes on a morning.

I've now moved 20 miles west and cycle to work thus making anything wet or under the arm largely impractical. 

This is interesting to me. I am a convenience store clerk and convienent stores are big business where I live. 

This concept may work in some parts of the USA, but I don't see it working in others. 

Hot food, coffee, beer and tobacco are the biggest sellers. These items will not be sold unless they are staffed with a clerk. 

Perhaps we will start to see some of these stores in large metropolitan areas. I always thought gas pumps that took bills would be a great idea. 

7 hours ago, soon said:

Thanks for posting this

Theres a radio program on Canadas National Public Broadcaster about technology.  Its called Spark.  Its tag line is "The future is coming.  Arrive intact."  Sounds so ominous to me, especially a show that celebrates tech.

To me, Bingobox is a good example of why the tag line is suitable.

First thing that strikes me is that I have really enjoyed nice rapports with convenience store clerks.  My life has been enriched by chats and running jokes, and community news sharing with the clerks.   And, in many cases, there has been an exchange of practicing english as part of a cultural exchange where I learn of other cultures.  Ive held newborns in celebration, Ive been encouraged through recovery from an Achilles Heel injury, I would miss it all greatly.

And then of course theres the jobs being lost.

For me personally, I like to use cash.  I just do.  But I also don't care to have my buying habits collected, bought and sold.  I do not see capitalism as my friend or a neutral and therefore do not seek to aid it with info.  

And I dont trust it to not be hacked and prevent me from purchasing freely.

'Weapons of Math Destruction, how big data increases inequality and threatens democracy' by Cathy O'Neil is a great read.  Basically algorithms are far from accurate.  So the info tracked through this method of payment potentially produces decisions made on my behalf that harm instead of help due to flawed programming and ideology.  

At this poinr most people use their phone to pay for stuff. So the jump is very easy to see. Even in McDonalds I use the computer screen to order, then just wait for my order to come up. 

If there's a descernible price drop in BingoBox it might work. But it goes the other way too with Family mart and Easy becoming more like Starbucks. They have more seating and almost like restaurants. Whereas Bingo is limited choice. But with full automation it could get there. 

I remember texting a number to a place for a sandwich and thinking this is the end. 7347. And it arrived. 

Big Data is watching us though. They know where and what we buy, who we are. 

2 hours ago, arnold layne said:

This is interesting to me. I am a convenience store clerk and convienent stores are big business where I live. 

This concept may work in some parts of the USA, but I don't see it working in others. 

Hot food, coffee, beer and tobacco are the biggest sellers. These items will not be sold unless they are staffed with a clerk. 

Perhaps we will start to see some of these stores in large metropolitan areas. I always thought gas pumps that took bills would be a great idea. 

At first but theres machines that make burgers now. There's coffee machines that make coffee. Theres this machine that makes fresh orange juice from visible oranges. I see it on the subway. A pack of smokes can be delivered by machine. But fresh unpackage food or a draft beer is harder, but theres the atmosphere as well. The social aspect. I just think you will pay more for that, like we do now, pay to go in a club or 3 dollars for a draft beer when road beer is 30 cents. 

It looks like it could replace con stores for some people. Just like a big vending machine. 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Everything is mobiley and credit cardy now.

Have you seen people speak on their phones without putting the phone to their head? It is the weirdest thing ever seen.

Yes, i think it's wifi headsets, in ear. Guys in the bank still working on their lunch break. On girls sending audio text messages. Ask Siri some questions. Siri why is wasted always right? Siri: drinking kills 20 million people every second. 

21 minutes ago, wasted said:

At first but theres machines that make burgers now. There's coffee machines that make coffee. Theres this machine that makes fresh orange juice from visible oranges. I see it on the subway. A pack of smokes can be delivered by machine. But fresh unpackage food or a draft beer is harder, but theres the atmosphere as well. The social aspect. I just think you will pay more for that, like we do now, pay to go in a club or 3 dollars for a draft beer when road beer is 30 cents. 

It looks like it could replace con stores for some people. Just like a big vending machine. 

As much as I would love to see a beer and smokes vending machine as the next guy, I feel like some mothers will put a stop to it because it lacks 'morals'. 

I suppose they can scan your ID and use facial recognition software, but that idea seems way too far-fetched at this time. 

Edit: I just realized my state has my thumbprint on record, so I guess I they could use this too. 

Edited by arnold layne

2 hours ago, arnold layne said:

As much as I would love to see a beer and smokes vending machine as the next guy, I feel like some mothers will put a stop to it because it lacks 'morals'. 

I suppose they can scan your ID and use facial recognition software, but that idea seems way too far-fetched at this time. 

Edit: I just realized my state has my thumbprint on record, so I guess I they could use this too. 

I think its possible but those are factors. The shop vending machine would have security. Youd have to have a bank account linked to your phone etc. if a kid doesn't a QR code or phone they can't buy anything. But you can get cards that you put money on and they only work at the food court. So there's an option. Booze cards. 

I'm not talking about any modern credit cardy bollocks but just normal coin-operating drinks vending machines having beer, usually in little cans. I remember using one - a bit too frequently I hate to say - in a youth hostel in Barcelona. Apparently they are in the streets in Japan so if you need to booze at four in the morning, you can go there.

PS

In France (Paris) also they exist.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm not talking about any modern credit cardy bollocks but just normal coin-operating drinks vending machines having beer, usually in little cans. I remember using one - a bit too frequently I hate to say - in a youth hostel in Barcelona. Apparently they are in the streets in Japan so if you need to booze at four in the morning, you can go there.

Yes I think so. Japan not a huge drinking culture or sort of formal about getting lashed. There arent teams of knife wielding 9 years trying rob liquor stores. 

What I see happening is conveinence stores with no staff. Maybe a security guard or maintenance worker on site.  

1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

This country is too conservative for that shit. 

You should look into setting up your own vending machines. It's the future. 

On June 23, 2017 at 9:57 PM, wasted said:

At this poinr most people use their phone to pay for stuff. So the jump is very easy to see. Even in McDonalds I use the computer screen to order, then just wait for my order to come up. 

If there's a descernible price drop in BingoBox it might work. But it goes the other way too with Family mart and Easy becoming more like Starbucks. They have more seating and almost like restaurants. Whereas Bingo is limited choice. But with full automation it could get there. 

I remember texting a number to a place for a sandwich and thinking this is the end. 7347. And it arrived. 

Big Data is watching us though. They know where and what we buy, who we are. 

Yeah, Ill just miss the people and relationships.  The sense of community. 

And as far as big data, I heard about a gadget that a guy can were during sex and it gathers data on his performance which is posted on a website for men to compare results.  And all this is even kept and utilized by big data.  Just to me, it really feels like we took a wrong turn somewhere along the way!

8 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah, Ill just miss the people and relationships.  The sense of community. 

And as far as big data, I heard about a gadget that a guy can were during sex and it gathers data on his performance which is posted on a website for men to compare results.  And all this is even kept and utilized by big data.  Just to me, it really feels like we took a wrong turn somewhere along the way!

takes the Internet of Things to the next level. I see guys running (I know are they crazy!) and they have those blood pressure straps or pedometer things. 

It's all going Minority Report meets Hangar 18. 

4 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'm all for it. It'd get me out of the horrible C-Store job I'm working now

I have theory/wild conspiracy that AI and technology will be used to enslave us. You already have the idea of fast food, using the sugar mountain and processed foods as cheap ways to feed huge populations, using advertising to convince us it's good food. What they are really doing is selling us waste producrs at way inflated prices. But how to cream off more money. Well lose the staff and streamline production with robots. So only a few people make money. The rest of us will be happy not to work but have a small anount of money to buy these fake products which often have some sort of fancy cache to them. That's how we will remain happy. 

On 6/23/2017 at 2:59 AM, wasted said:

it's just basically a giant vending machine...i have seen all kinds of things in vending machines, combs, toothbrushes etc etc., they just took the idea and ran with it. but it's cool cos some places hire young people that are vulnerable to asses that come in and attack them. so kudos?

54 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it's just basically a giant vending machine...i have seen all kinds of things in vending machines, combs, toothbrushes etc etc., they just took the idea and ran with it. but it's cool cos some places hire young people that are vulnerable to asses that come in and attack them. so kudos?

That's an upside I guess. 

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah....

like working down a mine, it's a job but at least if you lose your job you don't get black lung. Just victims of the in house drive by, they say jump you say how high. 

• Like 1