Richard Fortus' co-songwriting on Better

I've read in some interviews that Richard co-wrote some parts of the chorus. But I wonder why he wasn't credited for that in the albums liner notes

Edited by Sosso

8 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

I think I'd prefer the song without the heavy section in the middle, I particularly dislike the riff. I remember when the song leaked and likening it less and less the more of it I heard (I loved the first part). 

The middle part is what make the song great, just look at the Rock Am Ring's performance. But this has nothing to do with this thread or Richard.

Edited by Silent Jay

18 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

The middle part is what make the song great, just look at the Rock Am Ring's performance. But this has nothing to do with this thread or Richard.

Not a fan. Nothing inspired about that imo. Not what I associate Gn'r with.

37 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Obviously they needed to fill the void with another simple and catchy riff, better fitted, but this isn't significant enough for a songwriting credit.

Nevertheless Better is Robin's baby and was conceived before 4tus came.

But every other little detail is in the liner notes? That doesn't make any sense to me

Buckethead was apparantly wrote the bridge the song, but he also wasn't credited. (I dont have a source for this, but apparantly it was Bumblefoot who said that Buckethead was the one who wrote the bridge riff after the first solo)

If you write the music for the chorus you should get credit.  Same if Bumble is correct abut Buckethed.  Such a strange band.  Maybe there was just so much to sort through that they were honestly just lost in the shuffle?

The riff fortus created for chorus reminds me of Slashs intro riff to Garden of Eden

9 minutes ago, soon said:

If you write the music for the chorus you should get credit.  Same if Bumble is correct abut Buckethed.  Such a strange band.  Maybe there was just so much to sort through that they were honestly just lost in the shuffle?

The riff fortus created for chorus reminds me of Slashs intro riff to Garden of Eden

I heard that Paul Tobias was responsible for the credits. Maybe he ignored Richard because of personal reasons? Just a guess though.

13 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I heard that Paul Tobias was responsible for the credits. Maybe he ignored Richard because of personal reasons? Just a guess though.

Good point.  Thats possible.  Or maybe he wasnt around anymore?  Im fuzzy on his role after not playing live anymore.

1 hour ago, soon said:

The way it works is if you write the melody for the song you get 50% credit, if you write the lyrics you get 50% credit.

Then the rest of the writing credits is optional.

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

what personal issues? Paul did not want to tour, he hated it.  that is why they got Richard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gnfnr2k said:

The way it works is if you write the melody for the song you get 50% credit, if you write the lyrics you get 50% credit.

Then the rest of the writing credits is optional.

Finck didnt write Axls melody or the lyrics

Just now, gnfnr2k said:

Finck wrote the melody in better, Axl even said it was a Finck song.

Axl saying it was "a Finck song" does not indicate Finck wrote Axls melody.

It could be said that Fincks parts are very melodic so naturally Axls sings along to it fairly closely through out.  However Axl sings identical to the melody of Fortus part.

1 minute ago, soon said:

Axl saying it was "a Finck song" does not indicate Finck wrote Axls melody.

It could be said that Fincks parts are very melodic so naturally Axls sings along to it fairly closely through out.  However Axl sings identical to the melody of Fortus part.

I am not talking about the vocal melody, I am talking about the music melody.  

Maybe composition is the better word and not melody. 

Edited by gnfnr2k

2 minutes ago, gnfnr2k said:

I am not talking about the vocal melody, I am talking about the music melody.  

Maybe composition is the better word and not melody. 

Oh, I got ya.  Yes, I very much agree that Finck is the main music writer of the song.  Its a Finck song.

And that Fortus, and possibly buckethead composed sections of music as well.  

Just now, soon said:

Oh, I got ya.  Yes, I very much agree that Finck is the main music writer of the song.  Its a Finck song.

And that Fortus, and possibly buckethead composed sections of music as well.  

Yeah that is what I meant.  Axl wrote the lyrics and Finck write the main music for the song.

I just didnt want to use the term music because solos dont count for song writing credits.  that is why slash does not get credit for estranged but Axl does thank him in the liner notes.

Just now, gnfnr2k said:

Yeah that is what I meant.  Axl wrote the lyrics and Finck write the main music for the song.

I just didnt want to use the term music because solos dont count for song writing credits.  that is why slash does not get credit for estranged but Axl does thank him in the liner notes.

yep, sounds like we agree.  But I think Fortus should have a writing credit as well.  So the musical composition is 50% (although thats not how Guns split it on UYI) so Finck would get most of that 50% and Fortus and perhaps Bucket get smaller parts of that 50%

5 minutes ago, soon said:

yep, sounds like we agree.  But I think Fortus should have a writing credit as well.  So the musical composition is 50% (although thats not how Guns split it on UYI) so Finck would get most of that 50% and Fortus and perhaps Bucket get smaller parts of that 50%

Lets hope I can explain this so it makes sense lol.

There are two main parts to songwriting credit, lyrics, and composition

Each part gets 50% but you can break up those 50% how ever you want.

So if GNR had a song where Axl wrote most of the lyrics, then you could  give Axl 40% for lyrics and then Izzy the other 10%

Then for the music, it could be like slash gets 30% the Duff 10% and izzy 10%.

It just depends on who wrote what but like I said they can break it down for each section how ever they want.

For example AFD they credit the full band for all of the writing credits officially. But we do have the real break down that is out there and has been shown

Edited by gnfnr2k

16 minutes ago, 2414225 said:

The truth is, 4tus has still no credits to any popular pop/rock track in and outside GnR. 

That's not true. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Spit_Love_(album)

Credited for: 5/12 songs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trysome_Eatone

Credited for: 11/13 songs

Edited by Sosso

7 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Actually a really good song from Finck, would like to hear more he wrote from the vault. The Fortus additions improve the song in my opinion.

Better is really good. I wish that era could've stayed together, that Finck/Buckethead combination had potential.

• Like 1