Bring back Street of Dreams

6 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

one if the best songs off CD, let it take This I Love in the set. One of my favorite melodies and lyrics from Axl. 

Id like to see this one return 

Wow- I hated 'Nu Guns' but this version (who is the drummer?  He's great) was tight.  This is great.  You (well I) forget how great Axl was even during these solo years.  What a waste.  Too bad they didn't reunite like 10 years ago.  

Edited by Original

14 minutes ago, Original said:

"OK never mind"....  Yes I agree 100%.  This song screams Slash too IMO.  It's the most "real" GnR thing on CD.  

Hmm...I'm mixed on this one. On one hand I agree with you... but on the other hand....if people thought November Rain was cheesy, this song is that x 100. Unbelievably cheesy.

Like all the chi dem songs - there's parts of it that are good and remind one of Illusions, but there's stuff that's just too "liberace"? 

To me this song is a classic example of Axl needing the "guns" of Slash, Duff and Izzy to take it to the next level.

Catcher in the Rye is another one that reminds me of Illusions era Guns but atleast the demo had a pro like Brian May to elevate it.

12 minutes ago, Original said:

Wow- I hated 'Nu Guns' but this version (who is the drummer?  He's great) was tight.  This is great.  You (well I) forget how great he was even during these solo years.  What a waste.  Too bad they didn't reunite like 10 years ago.  

Looks like Brain maybe? He was a kickass drummer - had that loose feel of Adler.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Original said:

Wow- I hated 'Nu Guns' but this version (who is the drummer?  He's great) was tight.  This is great.  You (well I) forget how great he was even during these solo years.  What a waste.  Too bad they didn't reunite like 10 years ago.  

Reunion 10 years ago would have been incredible. I think you take the energy and sound now and up it x100...the shows would have been nuts. 

That drummer was incredible. If he was on the tour now there would be far less complaints in that department 

3 hours ago, Original said:

Wow- I hated 'Nu Guns' but this version (who is the drummer?  He's great) was tight.  This is great.  You (well I) forget how great Axl was even during these solo years.  What a waste.  Too bad they didn't reunite like 10 years ago.  

It was Brain.  He was amazing. Best GNR drummer.  ( I dont count Josh Freese since he never played live)

BTW Axl was awful on this, soo out of tune, his voice was shit.

Edited by gnfnr2k

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I remain convinced this song is about Slash and I do not think they'll ever do it with him in the band.

Whoa. Dude!

You've just blown my fucking mind. I've never heard anyone suggest this before anywhere and it never occurred to me. I always assumed, like seemingly everyone, that is was a Seymour ballad (and the female visuals at past shows and female artwork seemed to back that up). But i've just recited the lyrics in my head and not only do they work in the context of a platonic relationship but they very much make sense in relation to Slash. Completely, in fact. There isn't a single line which requires a romantic relationship. 

That's fucking crazy. Cheers, dude! 

If you're right this also changes another assumption i've held which is, regardless of Axl's strong assertion to the contrary, that Sorry is specifically sang to Slash (verses) and fans (chorus). I did a line-by-line examination of Sorry a while back showing who it only made sense as directed to Slash, the old band and fans as opposed to a composite of enemies or another person entirely. And another another reason to think that was there just had to be one track specifically about Slash as opposed to the more general Madagascar, Prostitute and Scraped. 

But now you've made me realise that SoD could very well be the song specifically directed at Slash that does take Sorry off the hook, along with the fact that they're playing it. (Still can't get past "No lyrics, no melodies. Just shut up and sing, Axl." 

As for them bringing back Sod, Madagascar, Prostitute or playing e.g. Slither, I think the first stadium run is gonna be what it is. Over the next 5-10 years as they play different markets in arenas or clubs we'll get more deep cuts and even those songs swapped in for the current deep cuts. 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Still can't get past "No lyrics, no melodies. Just shut up and sing, Axl." 

The quote by Axl was:

I was specifically told "No lyrics, no melodies". Just sing what I was told or fuck off.

It's not exactly the same.

I don't think Sorry is about Slash.

5 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Whoa. Dude!

You've just blown my fucking mind. I've never heard anyone suggest this before anywhere and it never occurred to me. I always assumed, like seemingly everyone, that is was a Seymour ballad (and the female visuals at past shows and female artwork seemed to back that up). But i've just recited the lyrics in my head and not only do they work in the context of a platonic relationship but they very much make sense in relation to Slash. Completely, in fact. There isn't a single line which requires a romantic relationship. 

If you're right this also changes another assumption i've held which is, regardless of Axl's strong assertion to the contrary, that Sorry is specifically sang to Slash (verses) and fans (chorus). I did a line-by-line examination of Sorry a while back showing who it only made sense as directed to Slash, the old band and fans as opposed to a composite of enemies or another person entirely. And another another reason to think that was there just had to be one track specifically about Slash as opposed to the more general Madagascar, Prostitute and Scraped. 

But now you've made me realise that SoD could very well be the song specifically directed at Slash that does take Sorry off the hook, along with the fact that they're playing it. (Still can't get past "No lyrics, no melodies. Just shut up and sing, Axl." 

As for them bringing back Sod, Madagascar, Prostitute or playing e.g. Slither, I think the first stadium run is gonna be what it is. Over the next 5-10 years as they play different markets in arenas or clubs we'll get more deep cuts and even those songs swapped in for the current deep cuts. 

Wow, you've never seen me claim this before??? I get BASHED for it all the time and pretty much have since like 2002 :lol:

But yeah, I've tried to tell people exactly what you're saying; there's nothing about the song that HAS to be romantic. The first line that made me think it might be about Slash was "What this means to me is more than I know you believe. What I thought of you, has cost most than it should for me" and so on. To me, that's directly addressing Slash, why Axl carried on and how Slash not being there was such a problem for everyone else. 

I could go on and on, but yeah, I've always thought The Blues was about Slash.

• Like 1

Yesssss, bring back The Blues/Street of Dreams :drool: It's one of my favorite CD songs.

I wish they'd just stop playing TIL and play SoD instead. And also play Madagascar, Prostitute and Slither (or some other VR/Slash songs).

11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

My favorite part on the album is when the song pauses and you hear Axl's voice break the silence with "What this means to me is more than I know you believe" 2010 Ireland is my favorite for this part. He had the power to bring the meaning to it 

Yeah, that's my favorite part too.

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I remain convinced this song is about Slash and I do not think they'll ever do it with him in the band.

5 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Whoa. Dude!

Guys...

SoD being about Slash has been discussed and analyzed extensively in the Women's Thread.

Needless to say, many people (at least down there in the Jungle lol) are of the opinion that SoD is about Slash. And they have provided some pretty convincing arguments for that. So yeah, I agree with that interpretation too and yes, unfortunately I could see this being the reason why they're not playing it anymore now that Slash is back.

(Also, SoD is not cheesy :max: TIL and November Rain are cheesy, but SoD... is a sad song about losing Slash and struggling to move on without him.)

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yesssss, bring back The Blues/Street of Dreams :drool: It's one of my favorite CD songs.

I wish they'd just stop playing TIL and play SoD instead. And also play Madagascar, Prostitute and Slither (or some other VR/Slash songs).

Yeah, that's my favorite part too.

Guys...

SoD being about Slash has been discussed and analyzed extensively in the Women's Thread.

Needless to say, many people (at least down there in the Jungle lol) are of the opinion that SoD is about Slash. And they have provided some pretty convincing arguments for that. So yeah, I agree with that interpretation too and yes, unfortunately I could see this being the reason why they're not playing it anymore now that Slash is back.

(Also, SoD is not cheesy :max: TIL and November Rain are cheesy, but SoD... is a sad song about losing Slash and struggling to move on without him.)

Ok, but I have to play my hipster card and this and point out that I've been making that claim for literally 15 years! :lol: Every time it comes up I get insulted over and over about how crazy I am for thinking it! This is honest to God the first time in the history of any forum where I've had anyone have a remotely warm reception to the idea lol. Let me put it this way; when I logged into today and saw I had 10 notifications, I thought "Oh shit. Here we go. Everyone is gonna pile on me about The Blues" lol. I was so happy to see otherwise for once.

1 minute ago, BreakDown2014 said:

I honestly don't think SOD is about Slash... unless Axl has a secret crush on him

Again.... there's nothing about the lyrics that can't be applied to a platonic relationship. 

It is a bit bordering on the romantic for it to be about Slash.

To the feelings that I felt
I saved for you and no one else

I don't know just what I should do
Everywhere I go I see you

What I thought was beautiful
Don't live inside of you
Anymore

(The latter raises the assumption that he did think at one time, ''what he though was beautiful lived inside of Slash''.

'Sorry' however, I have no doubts is about Slash.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Ok, but I have to play my hipster card and this and point out that I've been making that claim for literally 15 years! :lol: Every time it comes up I get insulted over and over about how crazy I am for thinking it! This is honest to God the first time in the history of any forum where I've had anyone have a remotely warm reception to the idea lol. Let me put it this way; when I logged into today and saw I had 10 notifications, I thought "Oh shit. Here we go. Everyone is gonna pile on me about The Blues" lol. I was so happy to see otherwise for once.

I've been thinking SoD is about Slash since before CD came out as well, but people back then just weren't ready to hear the truth I guess :lol: But yeah, kudos to you for sticking to your opinion for so long against all opposition lol.

I think @Frey or someone else in the WT posted a good analysis of that song once, maybe time to dig that out again...

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't live inside of you
Anymore

(The latter raises the assumption that he did think at one time, ''what he though was beautiful lived inside of Slash''.

All these lines can be seen in a non-romantic sense as well.

"Everywhere I go see you" for example. I've always interpreted that line as Axl seeing Slash everywhere, because Slash literally was everywhere during these years; Slash was out and about working on his career, playing with all kinds of different artists and being very present in the media. Meanwhile, Axl was hiding away at home.

"What I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore" - Axl has made remarks about Slash that fit with that line (like when he talked about not understanding why Slash was throwing away his gifts by playing with people like Michael Jackson). Also, Axl supposedly believing Slash lost his soul fits with this as well.

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't live inside of you
Anymore

I don't see how any of that has to be romantic though. Especially the "I don't know just what I should do. Everywhere I go I see you". 

I would have to assume the "Where's Slash" thing came up to Axl every single day from the moment Slash left on wards. Every piece of GN'R promotional material has Slash in it. Fans have t-shirts was Slash on it. Every journalist was asking about Slash. Everyone in the music biz was asking about Slash. It seems pretty easy to me that Axl could have the feeling that Slash was everywhere he looked. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Axl had feelings for Slash and ''no one else''? He thought something ''beautiful'' lived inside Slash? Straight geezers do not talk like that about each other in such terms.

Straight? Dozens of people on this board seem to think there was something more going on between Axl and Slash anyway, so this doesn't necessarily have to be an obstacle :lol:

Seriously though, I agree with the people above that these lines can be seen in a platonic sense. It's poetry/lyrics and not everyday guy talk.

The "something beautiful" line was already explained, the line about Axl having feeling for Slash he had for no one else.... I always associated that line with all the stuff Axl said about Slash's guitar playing being so emotional and special to him, and that old quote of Axl saying that Slash kept him from moving on because he couldn't find anyone else like him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Frey said:

Straight? Dozens of people on this board seem to think there was something more going on between Axl and Slash anyway, so this doesn't necessarily have to be an obstacle :lol:

Seriously though, I agree with the people above that these lines can be seen in a platonic sense. It's poetry/lyrics and not everyday guy talk.

The "something beautiful" line was already explained, the line about Axl having feeling for Slash he had for no one else.... I always associated that line with all the stuff Axl said about Slash's guitar playing being so emotional and special to him, and that old quote of Axl saying that Slash kept him from moving on because he couldn't find anyone else like him.

I just do not buy it. Those lyrics seem more pertinent to a doomed romantic relationship than a band tiff. Were Axl and Slash ever that close anyhow? Does not seem they were as close as Rose and Stradlin which goes back to Lafayette. Rose shagged Slash's girlfriend in the early days which led to a disagreement, and it seemed (later on, Illusion period) Axl liked his own aloof 'circle' of apparatchiks, Brazilians and witch doctors, while Slash was just boozing with Duffy, Matt and Gilby backstage.

If however you believe it is open to a Slash interpretation fair enough: music after all is a subjective thing.

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Axl had feelings for Slash and ''no one else''? He thought something ''beautiful'' lived inside Slash? Straight geezers do not talk like that about each other in such terms.

I've never once had any remote thoughts that those lyrics could be romantic. I've heard many, many musicians go on about how their band mates are like family. In that context, those lyrics would totally make sense to me. 

23 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

"What I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore" - Axl has made remarks about Slash that fit with that line (like when he talked about not understanding why Slash was throwing away his gifts by playing with people like Michael Jackson). Also, Axl supposedly believing Slash lost his soul fits with this as well.

Yes, if we believe Tom Zutaut's story, this line makes perfect sense ;)

Also this verse

And it hurts too much to see you
And how you left yourself behind
You know I wouldn't want to be you
Now there's a hell I can't describe

could be very well related to what Axl had said about Slash wasting his talent by playing with everyone etc.

----

I have doubts about Street Of Dreams, but if I had to pick between it and Sorry as the "Slash song", I'd definitely say Street Of Dreams.

I wish it replacing WYWH/Laila or whatever song before NR, and let Dizzy using the Grand Piano because this song is basically a Dizzy solo. They can do instrumental version without Axl or let Melissa sing it if Axl want to rest his voice. The instrumental version is also very beautiful though.

I've seen GNR perform this live before. I'd LOVE to hear Duff and Slash on it too. I'd like any CD songs we haven't yet gotten, really. Or ones that aren't regularly in the rotation.

My hope for when I'm there live is to hear "There was a Time," which they've only done a couple or a few times so far.