Am I the only person who finds live albums a bit boring?

Towelie

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Pearl Jam have put out all of their live shows since 2000, sans 2005-2007... And every year since 2011 they have put out a "Vault" release that is a soundboard recording of a show before they started making the bootlegs official, or from years when the bootlegs weren't released. This year they will be releasing Vault #7. They are really good about getting the live experience that you witness at a show back to you. I would not be surprised if every show they've ever done is recorded in a big ass vault like Axl has. 

And Guns record all their live shows? There is a jam band element to PJ? They seem a little like the Dead in terms of material and touring? 

It's a more old school way of doing things, whereas GNR are from the cd studio album 90s. People bought cd players to get better sound, not listen to low quality live recordings. Even Live era has a studio element to it, it's almost as good as studio. I remember Patrick Bateman doing a bit about live albums vs studio albums in American Psycho. 

Also I thought people go to so many shows now that maybe a live album doesn't have the appeal. They tend to come out when you can't see the band live anymore.

Nirvana Live at Reading is pretty iconic in that way. They should put GNR's live Dvds out as cds. I remember the live DVDs and Welcome to the videos being significant releases that don't get much attention. With Live Era and GH they have put out quite a bit of product on top of the 4 main albums. 

Edited by wasted

Pearl Jam made an album with Shakey, and did a short tour which produced a lot of interesting boots. They definitely tap into the arty/jam mentality of bands like The Dead, Neil, Bob Dylan, etc. Guns basically become this monster stadium band over night and become like the Stones were by 1975 - minus the inflatable penis.

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

And Guns record all their live shows? There is a jam band element to PJ? They seem a little like the Dead in terms of material and touring? 

Not sure if they record all their live shows, but I thought it was long rumored that every show was at least recorded on video? Who knows. As GNR fans, we may never have access to the material that is stuffed in that vault, but PJ fans never know what they are going to get in terms of shit like that. For example, PJ have't released their Wrigley shows from last year as a bootleg yet, but they have released their Fenway shows causing speculation that we may be getting the first full length Pearl Jam show on DVD since 2006's 'Imagine In Cornice'... I digress though because that isn't what this topic is about, i'm just trying to hype myself up for it as those were two great shows :lol:

Pearl Jam aren't really a 'jam style' band in terms of the Dead. In fact I think the only connection between the two is the fact that both bands mix up their setlist's each and every night, and the bootlegs. You aren't going to get a 20 minute jam version of 'Even Flow' the next time you go to a PJ show (if you can even get a ticket :P). In fact in recent years, PJ have been flying through songs at a lighting pace to see how many they can play in 2 hours and 45 minutes. The setlist's really keep people on their toes though and since the band has a massive catalogue of music you honestly never know what you are going to get. 

22 minutes ago, wasted said:

It's a more old school way of doing things, whereas GNR are from the cd studio album 90s. People bought cd players to get better sound, not listen to low quality live recordings. Even Live era has a studio element to it, it's almost as good as studio. I remember Patrick Bateman doing a bit about live albums vs studio albums in American Psycho. 

PJ released a Live album of mix and match performances from their 1998 tour named 'Live on Two Legs' before the bootlegs came into the fold in 2000. And it truly was all live unlike most of Live Era. I'm not sure if you are trying to say that PJs bootleg quality is bad or not, or that most bootlegs are very compressed but check this out..

Pick a random spot in this 3 hour show and give it a listen. This is fan shot footage mixed with the bootleg audio:

I do see what you mean though, especially with the Nirvana thing. Most people hold those concerts to a higher standard since the audio and/or video is professionally done and it almost makes you feel like you are right there on stage. 

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Pearl Jam made an album with Shakey, and did a short tour which produced a lot of interesting boots. They definitely tap into the arty/jam mentality of bands like The Dead, Neil, Bob Dylan, etc. Guns basically become this monster stadium band over night and become like the Stones were by 1975 - minus the inflatable penis.

That album literally saved the band at the time. Eddie had taken over much of the writing and creative control of the band and they felt like they weren't even on the same level. Uncle Neil came in and saw a band he could write music with and that was the birth of Mirrorball. 

8 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Not sure if they record all their live shows, but I thought it was long rumored that every show was at least recorded on video? Who knows. As GNR fans, we may never have access to the material that is stuffed in that vault, but PJ fans never know what they are going to get in terms of shit like that. For example, PJ have't released their Wrigley shows from last year as a bootleg yet, but they have released their Fenway shows causing speculation that we may be getting the first full length Pearl Jam show on DVD since 2006's 'Imagine In Cornice'... I digress though because that isn't what this topic is about, i'm just trying to hype myself up for it as those were two great shows :lol:

Pearl Jam aren't really a 'jam style' band in terms of the Dead. In fact I think the only connection between the two is the fact that both bands mix up their setlist's each and every night, and the bootlegs. You aren't going to get a 20 minute jam version of 'Even Flow' the next time you go to a PJ show (if you can even get a ticket :P). In fact in recent years, PJ have been flying through songs at a lighting pace to see how many they can play in 2 hours and 45 minutes. The setlist's really keep people on their toes though and since the band has a massive catalogue of music you honestly never know what you are going to get. 

PJ released a Live album of mix and match performances from their 1998 tour named 'Live on Two Legs' before the bootlegs came into the fold in 2000. And it truly was all live unlike most of Live Era. I'm not sure if you are trying to say that PJs bootleg quality is bad or not, or that most bootlegs are very compressed but check this out..

Pick a random spot in this 3 hour show and give it a listen. This is fan shot footage mixed with the bootleg audio:

I do see what you mean though, especially with the Nirvana thing. Most people hold those concerts to a higher standard since the audio and/or video is professionally done and it almost makes you feel like you are right there on stage. 

That album literally saved the band at the time. Eddie had taken over much of the writing and creative control of the band and they felt like they weren't even on the same level. Uncle Neil came in and saw a band he could write music with and that was the birth of Mirrorball. 

I kind of meant an element of the Dead in terms of the community surrounding the band and the openness to material. This seems like something that went out with the 80s of presenting a surface or the theatrics of rock. 

I was focusing more on the consumer, their impression of live recordings and what they want to stick in their fancy cd players and how that might guide the bands choices even tastes themselves. I remember Axl saying he loved 4-track tapes but the audience wanted a polished studio record. This was about Izzy's arsethetic and how it would fly as a GNR record. This might not have been all that true or he was right in terms of mainstream success.

I wonder how big the die hard GNR fanbase is, how big is that live market compared to PJ. Guns level success possibly was built on 80s style things like videos and big stadium shows. Maybe PJs success is more built on those authentic rock fans. So that's where they go to. 

Frampton Comes Alive and KISS Alive did well because the studio versions of the songs were a little flat and lifeless, but both albums were modeled on the Humble Pie "Performance" album. 

KISS Alive was tweaked big time in the studio but Peter loves to brag that he didn't have to go in the studio and do his drums over. 

Some live albums have mixed down, if not out, the audience.