What does the future hold?

1 hour ago, action said:

show me one "reunion album" or even "modern album" that matches what came before

music from another dimension

hardwired to self destruct

chinese democracy

a bigger bang

rock or bust

all of these are albums which i really "want" to like but i just can't. as a band grows older, their fire fades away. this is a law of nature. what is left of their inspiration is hurt even more by the music industry and the pressure to deliver and please everyone (while losing track of the core fanbase in the process). New albums are great as long as they arent released yet and there is this wonderfull thing called "anticipation". in all of these cases, i enjoyed anticipating these albums much more than actually listening to them.

Today, GNR is about touring and the sooner people realise this, the sooner people will enjoy what we actually have now. go to the shows, enjoy them, buy some official merch, and go home a happier man. after the saturday show in belgium, i can honestly say, that i dont need new music from them. I want to remember them for the good times, and i'm sure a new album will absolutely, certainly, be a downer.

Neil Young/Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory

Johnny Cash - American Recordings

From Elvis in Memphis

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind

Bruce Springsteen - The Rising

All these are albums made a considerably long time after their 'golden age' - following a career nadir in many aspects - and all are considered some of their very finest achievements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Neil Young/Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory

Johnny Cash - American Recordings

From Elvis in Memphis

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind

Bruce Springsteen - The Rising

All these are albums made a considerably long time after their 'golden age' - following a career nadir in many aspects - and all are considered some of their very finest achievements.

yes, that's true. but the most recent album you mention is from 2002, at a time when the music industry was already showing clear signs of changing.

i don't think a record company would even allow for an appetite style album with lots of anger and swearing and telling women "to turn around and have some use with it". not with a million dollar advertisement campaign and the political correct times we live in.

The real problem is there's no money in it. So you don't get the fuck you value of having all that swearing and controversy over it but making tons of money off it. 

So maybe it would be something more mature. Aerosmith were sober but addicted to sex on Pump. 

Axl has more to offer as an artist but that story arc that started on UYI seemed to come full circle on CD. 

The more I think about it, the more I think hitting another hot spot creatively looks unlikely. I can see they've been marinading material and maybe evolving it and past stuff coming back into play, more for a self titled album which spans the whole of GNR's career. But then why not just put a best of out of whatever reps them now. Like these tour set lists. 

Maybe Axl will turn into a Roger Waters figure putting something out in 10 years time. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

The real problem is there's no money in it. So you don't get the fuck you value of having all that swearing and controversy over it but making tons of money off it. 

So maybe it would be something more mature. Aerosmith were sober but addicted to sex on Pump. 

Axl has more to offer as an artist but that story arc that started on UYI seemed to come full circle on CD. 

The more I think about it, the more I think hitting another hot spot creatively looks unlikely. I can see they've been marinading material and maybe evolving it and past stuff coming back into play, more for a self titled album which spans the whole of GNR's career. But then why not just put a best of out of whatever reps them now. Like these tour set lists. 

Maybe Axl will turn into a Roger Waters figure putting something out in 10 years time. 

Keep in mind though, any new GNR material we hear will likely contain lyrics axl wrote in his 30s. That being said...

I believe this tour will continue for awhile... after hitting all the arenas in the u.s., they may go back to Europe, maybe do a theater tour of smaller venues, possibly some acoustic gigs, etc. 

I believe they will eventually release a new album, most likely containing lyrics axl wrote for the 2nd (and/or 3rd) CD album that never surfaced, and almost certainly containing most or all of the vocal tracks axl has already recorded, with slash and duff either reworking parts of previous members, or writing completely new music to go with Axl's vocals, lyrics, and melodies. When will it come out? Probably past the point of when it would be most impactful, but I'm still looking forward to it!

10 minutes ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Keep in mind though, any new GNR material we hear will likely contain lyrics axl wrote in his 30s. That being said...

I believe this tour will continue for awhile... after hitting all the arenas in the u.s., they may go back to Europe, maybe do a theater tour of smaller venues, possibly some acoustic gigs, etc. 

I believe they will eventually release a new album, most likely containing lyrics axl wrote for the 2nd (and/or 3rd) CD album that never surfaced, and almost certainly containing most or all of the vocal tracks axl has already recorded, with slash and duff either reworking parts of previous members, or writing completely new music to go with Axl's vocals, lyrics, and melodies. When will it come out? Probably past the point of when it would be most impactful, but I'm still looking forward to it!

I would definitely like to hear all that, and who knows what they have there. 

I just feel like with Axl, Slash and Duff working together it might hark back to that, but then maybe they aren't that fire anymore. So then Axl's more artistic approach has some appeal. But that wasn't really appreciated on CD. 

But the actual creative moment just doesn't seem to be there, the real need and something to say. 

I think what I'm trying to say is I have no idea. 

• Like 1

Doing the festival season in Europe next year makes sense because that's where the real money is. Festival organisers know now that Axl can be drama free, so nothing stands in the way of booking them, which was the case this year for some festivals, I believe.

Edited by EvanG

26 minutes ago, wasted said:

I just feel like with Axl, Slash and Duff working together it might hark back to that, but then maybe they aren't that fire anymore. So then Axl's more artistic approach has some appeal. But that wasn't really appreciated on CD. 

But the actual creative moment just doesn't seem to be there, the real need and something to say. 

I agree that a new album featuring new lyrics and vocals from Axl is unlikely, for the same reason you stated. However there seems to be alot of unreleased written songs that I doubt Axl wrote all for naught. Axl's quote "I played some stuff for duff and slash and they liked it" is pretty telling of what direction the next album will go in.

15 minutes ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Axl's quote "I played some stuff for duff and slash and they liked it" is pretty telling of what direction the next album will go in.

Yeah, you can say about him what you will, but he does always seem to hold his principles in the past. I can't see him walking away from the stuff he has been writing the last two or three decades and start from scratch just because Slash and Duff are back. Doesn't mean they can't contribute, but it will be different.

16 minutes ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

I agree that a new album featuring new lyrics and vocals from Axl is unlikely, for the same reason you stated. However there seems to be alot of unreleased written songs that I doubt Axl wrote all for naught. Axl's quote "I played some stuff for duff and slash and they liked it" is pretty telling of what direction the next album will go in.

Yeah, that's true. And he said something about writing off vocal meodies. 

But what I'm saying is about how that Axl against the world thing works now. They are basically rock royalty. Nobody is out to get them. They open with It's So Easy.  It's lonely at the top. 

46 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Doing the festival season in Europe next year makes sense because that's where the real money is. Festival organisers know now that Axl can be drama free, so nothing stands in the way of booking them, which was the case this year for some festivals, I believe.

Please god no

1 hour ago, wasted said:

this became even more clear after visiting the show last weekend.

Slash, duff and Axl back onstage, and everything was fine. civil war was played, and really, that song says it all about what is happening to the world. No need to say the same, differently. civil war will never be topped.

that's just one example.

they came this far. after 25 years of not speaking with each other, they finally did, they are touring, huge crowds are dreaming away with Slash's incredible tone while the sun sets in the distance, and all is fine and dandy. everything is coming to a close.

i feel a new album, tomorrow, i don't need it right now. i feel a huge sense of closure, i felt it even more hearing slash back in GNR. it's closure, man. it's ok, we can rest our heads now.

everything has been said and done, the band is doing one more last round, and the shows are pretty much perfect. let's all rejoice.

any energy these guys can give us, comes from the moment of actually being there in the same venue as them. it's really something else, seeing it live than seeing a dodgy youtube video. Even seeing back some videos of the concert i went to, it don't give me the same feeling as if i really was there. I'm not even interested in watching the clips. it's not the same as experiencing it live.

a new album, i feel, wont give me the same rush as seeing my favorite band live on stage. axl's voice will be even more important on a studio album, that's the whole point of a studio album and it won't be up to appetite levels. that's a fact, and we should accept it. THAT's the reason i dont really need a new album. And izzy isnt there or steven. really, in what way would a new album be better than what we have now? what do these guys need to prove to you anymore? what CAN they prove anymore? you expect them to sing about fucking groupies after concerts? well i've got news for ya; that don't happen anymore. And i'm not interested in hearing about their money in the bank, that their life is a big machine and they got wives and kids and divorces and pills and chills. their private life has settled down. enjoy the real danger of the shows, believe it for 3 hours, then walk away. seize the moment before it's gone. and wake up; miracles don't exist.

Edited by action
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, action said:

this became even more clear after visiting the show last weekend.

Slash, duff and Axl back onstage, and everything was fine. civil war was played, and really, that song says it all about what is happening to the world. No need to say the same, differently. civil war will never be topped.

that's just one example.

they came this far. after 25 years of not speaking with each other, they finally did, they are touring, huge crowds are dreaming away with Slash's incredible tone while the sun sets in the distance, and all is fine and dandy. everything is coming to a close.

i feel a new album, tomorrow, i don't need it right now. i feel a huge sense of closure, i felt it even more hearing slash back in GNR. it's closure, man. it's ok, we can rest our heads now.

everything has been said and done, the band is doing one more last round, and the shows are pretty much perfect. let's all rejoice.

any energy these guys can give us, comes from the moment of actually being there in the same venue as them. it's really something else, seeing it live than seeing a dodgy youtube video. Even seeing back some videos of the concert i went to, it don't give me the same feeling as if i really was there. I'm not even interested in watching the clips. it's not the same as experiencing it live.

a new album, i feel, wont give me the same rush as seeing my favorite band live on stage. axl's voice will be even more important on a studio album, that's the whole point of a studio album and it won't be up to appetite levels. that's a fact, and we should accept it. THAT's the reason i dont really need a new album. And izzy isnt there or steven. really, in what way would a new album be better than what we have now? what do these guys need to prove to you anymore? what CAN they prove anymore? you expect them to sing about fucking groupies after concerts? well i've got news for ya; that don't happen anymore. And i'm not interested in hearing about their money in the band, that their life is a big machine and they got wives and kids and divorces and pills and chills. their private life has settled down. enjoy the real danger of the shows, believe it for 3 hours, then walk away. seize the moment before it's gone. and wake up; miracles don't exist.

it's like AFD came out of a certain situation and has that spirit and UYI was in the eye of the hurricane of success and CD was much more reflecting on all the fall out from that. But then after that it's like in a vacuum. It would be very easy to slip into self parody. Still I think Axl is pretty real, even CD he wrote about what was important to him. They must at this point be doing for themselves, so what dreams do they actually have left for a record? 

People say boxset, and I can see that now. Re-worked songs from various eras. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Back then it was lucrative in the way that it was promoting the upcoming album using the biggest movie of that year... very smart marketing.. if they plan to release an album, they need the lead single featured prominently in a blockbuster movie.

well VR did that with the hulk movie so its not out of the question if GNR go down that path again.

6 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

Axl back with Axl/DC.

Slash back to SMKC.

Duff will do guest spots with randoms, write articles and swim Scrooge McDuck style in his piles of money.

Duff and Slash will do interviews again but talk very vaguely about NITL. "It was great! Next question!."

No new music. There's no money in it and no one but us cares about it. For most of the people going to the shows, CD tunes are new music. 

More than likely, the rumors were correct and Slash and Duff's contracts are up in 2017 which is why they keep adding shows and packing the schedule. Maybe far in the future they will sign up to do a few festivals with Axl. But there will be a very lengthy break.

Maybe, maybe  a DVD.

I hate to say it but this is probably what will happen.

oh well. As long as Axl tours again with ac/dc and does a record with them, then im fine. Glad I got to see Axl, slash, and duff together at least once.

if there's still more money to be made though and they continue to get along well, I can see them still touring together as gnr in 2018. Maybe do all festivals in Europe next time. 

40 minutes ago, wasted said:

it's like AFD came out of a certain situation and has that spirit and UYI was in the eye of the hurricane of success and CD was much more reflecting on all the fall out from that. But then after that it's like in a vacuum. It would be very easy to slip into self parody. Still I think Axl is pretty real, even CD he wrote about what was important to him. They must at this point be doing for themselves, so what dreams do they actually have left for a record? 

People say boxset, and I can see that now. Re-worked songs from various eras. 

If they released old music I certainly wouldn't want it to be reworked 

1 hour ago, action said:

a new album, i feel, wont give me the same rush as seeing my favorite band live on stage. axl's voice will be even more important on a studio album, that's the whole point of a studio album and it won't be up to appetite levels. that's a fact, and we should accept it. THAT's the reason i dont really need a new album. And izzy isnt there or steven. really, in what way would a new album be better than what we have now? what do these guys need to prove to you anymore? what CAN they prove anymore? you expect them to sing about fucking groupies after concerts? well i've got news for ya; that don't happen anymore. And i'm not interested in hearing about their money in the bank, that their life is a big machine and they got wives and kids and divorces and pills and chills. their private life has settled down. enjoy the real danger of the shows, believe it for 3 hours, then walk away. seize the moment before it's gone. and wake up; miracles don't exist.

You don't need excitement to write a good song. Some of the best songs in the world were written about trivial stuff. I get where you're coming from, but it's only rock 'n roll... and I wouldn't mind hearing some new rock n' roll songs from this particular band even if it's not going to be as good as Appetite.

Edited by EvanG

9 minutes ago, Get In the Ring Motherfker said:

If they released old music I certainly wouldn't want it to be reworked 

It may not have been finished, but who knows. An anthology type thing might be best, demos or outtakes, maybe studio versions, one OG song could cause an eathquake. 

51 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

well VR did that with the hulk movie so its not out of the question if GNR go down that path again.

VR did it with fantastic 4 too. Come on come in was a great song btw... too bad the movie didn't hold up.

its probably a slash and duff thing?

hopefully with the right movie they'll do it again