What does the future hold?

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Who the hell is gonna want to see that crap version of guns that were limp dicking around prior to the reunion!! People have seen 2/3s of the real deal and it pisses all over what's been "GNR" for the last few years. 

If Slash and Duff depart, Axl can always just sunset GNR for a while and tour with AC/DC. 

I'd still go out and see Axl-fronted Slash-less GNR shows. I always did before. But yeah, obviously there'd be far fewer people attending than what you see on the current tour. 

And I also agree with you that it'd be really hard to go back to a GNR without Duff and particularly Slash now that they're back in the fold. That's why it was so great to see them continuing to add tour dates after what I perceived was a "test run" of a handful of dates in the early part of last year. To me it indicated they were getting along.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

Axl told how he would love to make movie soundtracks, books and stuff in the future. Axl is going to retire as a professional singer as he lives the final chapters, GnR reunion, AC/DC, repairing the past, stadiums shows all over the world. There's little to be said, he has maybe another album cycle with his two bands, maybe five to ten years left. 

21 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Nine Inch Nails - Not the Actual Events

My Bloody Valentine - MBV

Trent Reznor has his own record label. He can release whatever he wants. Guns is still under contract by Geffen.

5 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

under no circumstance should axl do anything with fake ac/dc.  if he does axl will have officially cheapened the legacy of TWO classic bands instead of just one.  it takes more than one original member, axl.  we are you gonna get that through your wig?    

if gnr fade away into the cash grab sunset and only release cash grab projects well... I would have expected nothing less from axl and his enablers at Team Yes.  

With that said I'm hoping ivanka and Jared can persuade Donald to write and record new music.  

Why be so concerned with "legacy?"  That's literally being imprisoned by the past.  If he wants to take something on, good for him.  If you don't like it or if it offends your nostalgic sensibilities, ignore it.  He's just another human living his life. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GnrJasmin92 said:

I've seen GnR in Hannover Germany, great concert even the delay due to poor weather was great (people went inside to hide from the rain I stayed outside and got closer to the stage). 

Anyways, judging by what I saw, I believe Axl doesn't like Slash & is only willing to tour with him to collect his (last?) paycheck. There was no connection between them whatsoever, I don't believe Axl will record for GnR while Slash is there. 

Axl/Dc record is a possibility since he's a fan of Angus and enjoys performing with him. I'd prefer a GnR record but that's not realistic at this point in time. When the tour ends, Slash will hit the studio to record with Miles and tour his next solo record and maybe after that continue with GnR's nostalgia tour. 

Are you 12?  Slash and Axl dislike each other because of what they do onstage?  Perhaps they're just focused on performing.  

9 hours ago, action said:

yes, that's true. but the most recent album you mention is from 2002, at a time when the music industry was already showing clear signs of changing.

i don't think a record company would even allow for an appetite style album with lots of anger and swearing and telling women "to turn around and have some use with it". not with a million dollar advertisement campaign and the political correct times we live in.

Dude, have you picked up a hip hop record recently?  

24 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Axl is a talker, not a doer. He talks a lot about his projects, what he wants to do, what he is doing, yadda yadda, but when it comes to actually putting those words into action, he retreats, doesn't deliver, and if you are lucky he will ask one of his yes-men to interview him so he can talk at length about how the whole world conspired against him so he could not deliver.

It's always someone else's fault, he's always the victim.

I highly doubt that any serious filmmakers would ever ask him to wrte a soundtrack for a movie, because the industry is a small world, and they all know that he is not reliable, that he is complicated, and that he constantly undermines himself with the pueril excuse of being a perfectionist.

I think he means well though, and that he really wants to do shit and deliver, but his insecurities get the best of him.

And how do you have all this industry knowledge and assessment of Axl?  You must be in the business.

18 hours ago, Sosso said:

Best case: New albums from AC/DC and GN'R. Promoted in a co-headliner tour

Worst case: NITL 2027

Axl will then lose his voice for the rest of his life and will go on a tour for the deaf in 2020 to revive his career doing GNR songs in sign language with Buckethead robot dancing to the silent music. 

44 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Axl is a talker, not a doer. He talks a lot about his projects, what he wants to do, what he is doing, yadda yadda, but when it comes to actually putting those words into action, he retreats, doesn't deliver, and if you are lucky he will ask one of his yes-men to interview him so he can talk at length about how the whole world conspired against him so he could not deliver.

It's always someone else's fault, he's always the victim.

I highly doubt that any serious filmmakers would ever ask him to wrte a soundtrack for a movie, because the industry is a small world, and they all know that he is not reliable, that he is complicated, and that he constantly undermines himself with the pueril excuse of being a perfectionist.

I think he means well though, and that he really wants to do shit and deliver, but his insecurities get the best of him.

Then keep the band going around U2 and Metallica, rock until you hit 70. Someone has to pay tribute to the Stones later in this life.

There's something about keeping up to the standard of the first records. I think CD has that quality, so even if it's not a commercial success it didn't lose anything. But it gets harder to see how there's anything to gain. Like Zepp they could go away for a few years and still have a day in the sun down the road. 

The easiest way to get more Axl is Axl/DC. It's not all on him, he'd just be the vocalist. That would be something new. But it begs the question why can't Slash be the Angus and write some riff rock that Axl rasps over? Maybe that's just not what Guns was so why start now. 

For decades I have I wanted a Guns N' Roses reunion more than anything else in music.. I have enjoyed this for what it is and will continue to go to shows as long as Slash and Duff are in the band, but if they disband after this tour I really wouldn't care too much.. There have been amazing elements to the reunion  but they aren't as good as they could be and should be.. I just can't buy into Frank, Melissa, Fortus, the disappointing ticket prices and the continued focus on CD songs. It has been fun but the whole thing could of and should have been so much better and was probably 10 years too late. I couldn't get into NuGuns and besides seeing Slash playing all his own guitar parts and solos this is pretty much just a continuation of that. I mean it is waay better than that, but it still has a good amount parallels. 

Would I like to see them continue? Sure.. Would I like to see them record new music? I do if it will be good and I honestly think the chemistry withe Fortus and Frank sucks.. I don't want them to release music just for the sake of releasing music if it is going to sound like CD or just isn't that good.  The classic lineups built up an amazing legacy releasing only about 60 studio tracks and one live album. I just wouldn't want them to dilute that.

Do I want them to continue touring? Sure as long as they can still bring it.. Right now it is still amazing seeing Axl/Slash and Duff up there.. Axl has his ups and downs but it he has been good enough to pull it off with this lineup. He isn't getting any younger though and he voice will most likely continue to deteriorate at some rate. If it does, this lineup just won't be good enough to compensate. 

Either way I am excited to see what the Arena tour and Apollo show bring. 

I also hope they dig into the vaults and release some Blu Rays of live material/shows from the classic era and even something from the NITL tour.  

• Like 1

It just seems to have packed stadiums and not want to drop a new album on them is strange. The crowd would go wild for a new song from Axl and Slash. 

There is this thing where they might have done every type of song there is. And there's variety on the bench of songs they don't play from UYI or CD anyway so why rush something out if they aren't feeling it. 

So maybe the task of reinventing the wheel always takes longer. So I'm happy to wait or for them to just leave it as it is. They are kind of like Zepp to me. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ericy210 said:

And how do you have all this industry knowledge and assessment of Axl?  You must be in the business.

Because his track record speaks volumes. You don't need to be a music insider or have a crystal ball to call the situation for what it is. 

Reputation is everything in business and Axl's rep is a dumpster fire. Who would willingly put their reputation on the line for a guy who has burned so many people in the past?

That's a huge reason William Friedkin, director of The French Connection and The Exorcist, has struggled to get his movies greenlighted. Meanwhile, Paul W.S. Anderson, the director of Resident Evil, continues to work no matter how shit his movies are. 

It's not always about talent. It's also about being a responsible human being and delivering when you say you're going to - especially when other people's livelihood depends on you having your shit together.

Edit -

god damn it let's just get an axl dc album and a few new gnr tracks & do a co headline tour 

also I know Brett rattner was supposed to film their dodger shows so I have to think it's part of a  documentary they're putting together? No way they'd get someone of his caliber to shoot it (also to be clear he had to drop out last min) 

Edited by ramsey

The first ''crisis'' will be when they are playing a pub in Antarctica, playing the hits as per usual, and Slash, who does like to put new material out in fairness, turns to Rose and says, ''you know Rosey, maybe we should put an album out?''.

Like everyone I hope for new music, but would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when axl invited slash to his place for dinner to originally discuss Coachella. Im sure when the whole tour started Slash and Duff thought about new music. Im sure Slash thinking ahead at axl's place for dinner would have thought and raised to axl if they all tour and its a success and if the band can last 12months or more with each other touring and not coming to blows, the question would be what next?. Could we possibly do new music or did Axl just think tour only and nothing more and say to duff and slash lets tour and see how we go. If the tour is a success lets then think about whether new music could be a possibility but lets get through the tour first. I think the reason why slash and duff have not given any indication of new music to allow them to get comfortable with the all whole band members and see if any future stuff feels right. If not then they can say "thanks for the tour and period of letting us play, its not the direction I want to take" . Slash and duff have lost nothing and have not given any fans the expectation of anything more than a tour and everyone can go their separate ways and back to their solo careers.

However I think the success of the tour for both slash and duff has given them a feeling of unfinished business. If they kept their heads together and separated after the illusions tour done a solo record and reconvened after a couple of years and see where their heads were at it could have been a different outcome. But with all of these guys feeling comfortable during the tour and enough time passing and now being more mature in their 50's and if being open to do new music then all they need is some sort of an outlet to test the waters. I just don't think any of the band wanted to commit until after the tour to assess whether they wanted to continue under Axls version of GNR depending on the success of the tour. I think new music in some shape and form is now a possibility, and we should know by November what the direction now is and something public advertised. When GNR played in Australia slash quote was "we'll be back soon" so im hoping it will be a tour with new music, I don't think they would do a NILT tour again, especially as Slash likes to tour and play new material.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

Fuck Axl/DC music! If that shit happens first, before anything new GNR I am out! I wouldn't give that shit the time of day and it would be a huge slap in the face to the fans who stuck in there so long! 

as for what's next? I have no real idea but for some reason this Axl/DC shit seems to be a more legitimate chance than a new GnR album from what I can gather from popular opinion! 

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JustanUrchin said:

To a certainty, the future does not hold any conceivable iteration of the patently absurd Axl apologist myth advanced—or naively reproduced—in the above quote.  Forget the sourcing of this myth, which is traceable to an Axl apologist forum for the few (whose proprietor has gone silent in the months since the S/D/A p’ship reunion, or so I’m informed)—it’s demonstrably and legally false.

The core of this myth is that the Remaining Partners of Original Gn’R, Slash and Duff, who have controlled the back catalogue—merchandising, branding, synch, licensing, etc. since NYD ’96 when the singer quit Original Gn’R to form his solo band, Axl’s Gn’R (a “new band,” by registering “a new p’ship which was only an effort to salvage Guns n’ Roses not steal it,” as quoted from the singer’s legal notice to S/D and his ‘open letter’), have signed a ‘two-year work-for-hire’ contract.  Yes, you read that right:  this legal myth is that the two Remaining Partners of Original Gn’R who control the back catalogue signed a two-year work-for-hire contract with Axl’s solo band.  Only in the land of Axl urinal-sniffers could anyone utter such a declaration with a straight face.

Backing up.  There are myriad of contracts with any biz org, including this entity.  This biz org has counsel, management, recording, distribution, publishing, order-of-rights, promoter, and on and on (and on) contracts.  Slash has his own counsel and management.  Duff has his own and separate counsel and management.  The singer has his live-ins.  Said live-ins manage Adler’s fourth replacement, the Izzy look-a-like and the two what-have-yous on “keys.”  (See “Crew and Credits” from NITL for citation).  The conglomerate promoter, LiveNation (and its insurers), run the show, and professionally so.  Specific division of loss (from S/D) and assuredly LN’s insurers have the singer’s ass out on stage in broad daylight and treating customers/buyers with respect, if you need a concrete example.

Reinforcing the legality and this biz org’s structure, there’s a mountain of indisputable and publicly known fact to further refute this myth.  Opie Skjerseth, July 26, 2016:  in regards to S/D/A, “all three of them” decided on the enormous overhead of staging—this critical biz decision was made collectively.  On July 7, 2016, a writer who interviewed Duff, wrote that the “business kept the band together even when they were apart,” and that “they stayed in touch thanks to their shared interest in merchandise and music royalties.”  Duff, moreover, “called the Gn’R reunion a mutual decision.”  From Globo regarding decision-making on songs from his prior solo band’s only album, thes singer stated:  “I really didn't have anything to do with that” and that “they [Slash and Duff] stepped to that on their own.”  At China Exchange, Axl stated that he didn’t tell Slash how to play said songs and, “had no idea how they were going to sound.”  At the CE, Axl stated that, “I do want to put out more music []…[a]nd I don’t know if that has to do with Slash or not but underneath the Guns n’ Roses thing [brand], and, um, if he and I write something or he wants to play on something that we have, it’s like that would be great.”  Slash determines if he’ll create new tunes and whether he wants to work up any prior ideas.  According to Axl, “that would be great” if Slash chooses to do so.  Employees of an entity, conversely, work as directed by their employer. 

The singer crawled back to Remaining Original Gn’R Partners in 2014 to license his solo band’s DVD.  The singer propositioned Slash in 2015 and sought Slash’s number.  The singer is touring 30 year-old songs to the tune of a quarter of a billion (gross) ticketing biz as a consequence.

--------

There are eyes on this forum.  Hi, Izzy!  You were badass in ’88 when I saw you, but not so much in ’91 in Hershey.  Can’t blame ya, though.  That disaster set sail the following month in St. Louis.  I’da done the same as you in November ’91—selling your equity share and relieving yourself from liability and draws from your capital account for the singer’s voluminous litigation and criminal charges due to his assholery and fan disrespect!  You were proven right for 25 years, until this quarter of a billion grossing monstrosity touring your songs reconvened last year.  Gotta say, though, you need to be a bit more direct than “Stuck in the Middle,” “F.P. Money,” and your “bullshit” tweet.  Despite Adler prevailing over you (and the other 3) in ’91, he’s been more successful being direct, no?  Get to the table, with effective represent’n, if you haven’t already.  I hear it’s AFD 30 next month, for chrissakes!  I'll cut ya a deal, if you can't find anyone effective.  After all, I was in a fistfight with a Crue fan back in the day in they gym for calling you 'greezy."

Hey, to the gal on the Axl revisionist forum that plagiarizes me and to the web ‘journalist’ who peddles her plagiarism of me!  The pleadings and legal fact are of public record.  Do your own research and craft it into a readable/understandable post for all education levels to consume rather than plagiarizing me as to what is “legally significant.”

Hi, to the muzzled live-ins managing the singer!  LiveNation sure has put the kibosh to you.  A shame, huh?  But keep an eye on the target—the singer’s back pocket.  It’s growing by the day.  Even Elvis’ posse would be jealous!

To the rest of you regular fuckers who just want to rock TFO to AFD 30, just like me, keep up the good fight beating back the myth-pushers and clamping down on the unabashed greed of S/D/A.  Gn’R fans are badass!  They always were!

Man, I like your posts. Finally someone who gets what's going on and says it well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GnrJasmin92 said:

I've seen GnR in Hannover Germany, great concert even the delay due to poor weather was great (people went inside to hide from the rain I stayed outside and got closer to the stage). 

Anyways, judging by what I saw, I believe Axl doesn't like Slash & is only willing to tour with him to collect his (last?) paycheck. There was no connection between them whatsoever, I don't believe Axl will record for GnR while Slash is there. 

Axl/Dc record is a possibility since he's a fan of Angus and enjoys performing with him. I'd prefer a GnR record but that's not realistic at this point in time. When the tour ends, Slash will hit the studio to record with Miles and tour his next solo record and maybe after that continue with GnR's nostalgia tour. 

Geez. There is plenty of footage, small tidbits that suggests that things are very well between them, like this:

giphy.gif

They are not going to gaze into each others eyes for 2 hours. They have a show to play.

Obviously, with Angus it's different, as he is not a colleague, but an Idol. Axl is a fan.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Axl told how he would love to make movie soundtracks, books and stuff in the future. Axl is going to retire as a professional singer as he lives the final chapters, GnR reunion, AC/DC, repairing the past, stadiums shows all over the world. There's little to be said, he has maybe another album cycle with his two bands, maybe five to ten years left. 

Could be. But you never know. There are acts who tour into their 70s. Axl is 55. He could have another 20 years.

I'm just enjoying it all as it comes as far as GNR goes. I want to see as many shows as I can.

• Like 1