What does the future hold?

3 minutes ago, OTHAFA said:

I can't figure out why anyone would expect Axl, Slash or Duff to give a single fuck about recording a new album at this point. They're old-ish men who are going to make money hand over fist with or without a new record. A record which - by the way - would probably be critically panned no matter how good it ends up being. There's just no way at this point in their lives they can live up to what they created in the past, so whatever labor-intensive work they put into writing and recording a new album, would probably lead to a "ehh.. they should have left well enough alone" end result from fans and critics.

Wasn't that one of the reasons why Slash was against a reunion for such a long time? 

Gn'R is just a (great) nostalgia act these days and I'm pretty sure that Slash won't go on touring forever with Axl playing the same Greatest Hits setlist. So either they decide to record something together or Slash will eventually decide to "leave" the band once again. Hopefully it'll be the first. 

I don't think the legalities really tell the story. They are a guide but it's much harder to see the personal story. 

GNR seems to follow a pretty simple rock career as turmultous as it might have been. 

They end up like the 90s Stones. 

10 hours ago, OTHAFA said:

I can't figure out why anyone would expect Axl, Slash or Duff to give a single fuck about recording a new album at this point. They're old-ish men who are going to make money hand over fist with or without a new record. A record which - by the way - would probably be critically panned no matter how good it ends up being. There's just no way at this point in their lives they can live up to what they created in the past, so whatever labor-intensive work they put into writing and recording a new album, would probably lead to a "ehh.. they should have left well enough alone" end result from fans and critics.

Exactly 100% spot on. 

8 hours ago, trqster said:

Gn'R is just a (great) nostalgia act these days and I'm pretty sure that Slash won't go on touring forever with Axl playing the same Greatest Hits setlist. So either they decide to record something together or Slash will eventually decide to "leave" the band once again. Hopefully it'll be the first. 

I don't know about that. They are making a boat load of money.  It would be extremely difficult to walk away from especially considering Slash Is a guy that loves spending as much time on the road as possible.

11 hours ago, OTHAFA said:

Well, it doesn't stop bands like Metallica, U2 and RHCP from making new music (all of whom have back catalogues equally as revered and respected as GNR). Hell, even bands like Sabbbath and Judas Priest, that were around 20 years before GNR are still putting out new music. Why should Guns N Roses be an exception?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

In summary: You nearly make some interesting points but instead just end up being a cynical pseudo-intellectual hypocrite lol.

A search of your (staggering) number of recent posts reveals that you barely mask your contempt for fellow posters.  Religiously lobbing (what you perceive to be) clever one-line opinion from New Zealand about an American rock band at the expense of your fellow posters is nothing if not bizarre.  Flattered, though I am, that you religiously read my posts.

My post history consistently remarks on the fans’ power to persuade, their insight and enthusiasm.   The goodwill possessed by fans of the band’s music from 26-30 years ago is nothing short of astonishing.  It speaks to the power of that iconic album.

----------------

What does the future hold?  It's already here.  My favorites are touring right now—SOAD, QOTSA, and A7X.  QOTSA are releasing new material—and the clips that they’ve released on social media to their fans/customers fucking rip.  I just saw Tool in Hershey.  I don’t listen to Gn’R—that band’s 26-30 year-old music is not on my iTunes and there’s no risk of hearing that band on my go-to daily source (Octane) because its singer fails to put music into the marketplace.  I've got tons of Slash, VR, Izzy's early stuff and Adler's most recent on my playlists.  They create and release music.  Rock music.  Some of it wins Grammies.

I prefaced my reply to the poster’s insightful questions that my opinion was bound to be unpopular.   I’m no longer a teen who saw the original band that created an iconic album.  That band hasn’t existed since the summer of ’91 for me—or some say, since April ’90.  Others might say, in retrospect, since the moment the bands’ fans lined the singer’s pocket in the summer of ‘88.  I’ve read the pleadings and averments.  I’ve watched the greed of S/D/A and gouging of fans unfold over the past year.  My opinion is rooted in the nauseating history of legal pleadings and fact concerning this band’s singer, and, more recently, Remaining Partners Slash and Duff allowing their singer to limp back in so that all three can license, synch, merch and sell the shit out of trinkets and NASCAR races.  No, thanks.  I’ll take “Villians” from QOTSA because “it’s safe from the bullshit of the day.”

In three weeks’ time, I hope to (along with assuredly a shit ton of others) change my opinion.  As Partners, those three likely laugh at the prospect of cutting Izzy in on the splits.  And why should they cut him in?  He sold his p’ship stake nearly 26 years ago.  But they sure as shit can now, as they’re making a killing on his songs, afford to pay him a percentage increase (if any) from the gate in addition to a flat rate—and Adler—and even Adler’s first replacement, who many (presumably younger) posters here consider to be on the same level of importance as Adler.

Adler remains silent.  There's been no more "bullshit" Twitter replies from Izzy or Izzy lyrics about S/D/A fighting over a bag of gold.  Three weeks is around the corner.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OTHAFA said:

Creativity perhaps? Following their muse? Because they are supposed to be - you know - 'songwriters'?

Must everything follow the dictates of pecuniary gain?

• Like 1

I think they will have a break for a couple of months in winter; hopefully time to record something new, although I am reall unsure that they will be able to make a new album. But most likely they toy around with some ideas at least.

I am 100% sure they will be back touring in 2018 in Europe to cash in on the big money festivals and play some places they have not been on this tour. Maybe they also go to South Africa for a gig. For sure the NITL tour will become one of the top 10 tours in history with regards to revenue and attendance.

Also I am almost 100% sure that there will be a live album and/or Bluray of this tour. This tour has been so professional so far, it would be hard to believe that they miss out on this opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

1. My contempt for fellow posters?! I just told someone I would go gay for them! I've only got so much love to give! :lol: Your comment is especially strange since my most recent posts were literally wishing people well...so what the heck are you talking about?
2. Don't try making up bullshit about me religiously reading your posts when I don't even know who you are and this is only like the 3rd one I've ever even seen...ya lying little shit haha.
3. Yeah, I'm aware I'm from New Zealand and that GNR are an American rock band......:shrugs:

Spot on, only  Americans can like  American band,this is new for me ???

• Like 2

sounds like you guys are still convinced we may never see another GNR album unless its either a best of or a collection of live tracks of old songs. well axl himself including other band members have said they are working on new GNR material and band members have been spending time in recording studios. im expecting an announcement sometime from the AFD 30th anniversary gig or gigs in LA next month to the end of august 

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Creativity perhaps? Following their muse? Because they are supposed to be - you know - 'songwriters'?

Must everything follow the dictates of pecuniary gain?

Slash and Duff have other creative outlets they can record music with if that itch absolutely needs to be scratched.

Axl, for all intents and purposes, appears to not care one iota about recording new material at this point in his life. We can talk about him being a perfectionist, or being lazy, or whatever the excuse has been. The last 20 years – but ESPECIALLY the last 10 – have pretty clearly shown us that creating and recording new music is not something of any significant importance to Axl Rose.

Edited by OTHAFA
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Towelie said:

Well, it doesn't stop bands like Metallica, U2 and RHCP from making new music (all of whom have back catalogues equally as revered and respected as GNR). Hell, even bands like Sabbbath and Judas Priest, that were around 20 years before GNR are still putting out new music. Why should Guns N Roses be an exception?

Because they don't want to?

I mean, not to be dismissive, but I think it's really that simple. The members of these other bands appear to be – at least on the surface – still friendly, enjoying being together and enjoy creating new music together.

My guess would be that isn't necessarily the case with our boys. Not to say they don't get along, because it appears things are moving along smoothly now, but there's a difference between being cordial enough to tour together and exchange pleasantries, and actually spending days/weeks/months in a studio together churning our new music. Especially when there's no real pressure to do so.

Maybe there comes a time when the shows stop selling out, and people are tired of hearing the hits, and they feel the heat to put out new music, but it's hard to see that day coming anytime soon. There's a big thirst out there in the marketplace for seeing a reunited Axl and Slash, and let's face it... nobody is going to a Van Halen show in 2017 to hear DLR and Eddie play tracks off "A Different Kind of Truth."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donny said:

sounds like you guys are still convinced we may never see another GNR album unless its either a best of or a collection of live tracks of old songs. well axl himself including other band members have said they are working on new GNR material and band members have been spending time in recording studios. im expecting an announcement sometime from the AFD 30th anniversary gig or gigs in LA next month to the end of august 

I'd LOVE for that to be true but I'm not expecting it by any stretch of the imagination. 

• Like 1

This is what needs to happen:

1. Finish nitl tour.

2. New album with current line up (not cd2 reworked).

3. Stadium tour to coincide with new album and AFD anniversary double disc disc-release + bonus tracks.

4. Call it a day.

5. UYI anniversary re-release + bonus tracks.

5. CD2 as fan club limited edition.

6. Live Era 2002 - 2014 / Live Era 2016-2020

5 hours ago, donny said:

I have a bridge to sell you Donny...

2 hours ago, OTHAFA said:

Because they don't want to?

I mean, not to be dismissive, but I think it's really that simple. The members of these other bands appear to be – at least on the surface – still friendly, enjoying being together and enjoy creating new music together.

My guess would be that isn't necessarily the case with our boys. Not to say they don't get along, because it appears things are moving along smoothly now, but there's a difference between being cordial enough to tour together and exchange pleasantries, and actually spending days/weeks/months in a studio together churning our new music. Especially when there's no real pressure to do so.

Maybe there comes a time when the shows stop selling out, and people are tired of hearing the hits, and they feel the heat to put out new music, but it's hard to see that day coming anytime soon. There's a big thirst out there in the marketplace for seeing a reunited Axl and Slash, and let's face it... nobody is going to a Van Halen show in 2017 to hear DLR and Eddie play tracks off "A Different Kind of Truth."

This. (You should start posting more often man - haven't seen you around in awhile)

Someone recently made a great point that perhaps Duff and Slash no longer see Guns N' Roses as "their" band any more and are just behaving like professional musicians rather than the all-out way they usually promote and involve themselves in their projects - let alone original GnR. The biggest giveaway to me is that there are still no band interviews. When exactly are Duff and Slash going to give normal interviews about this band and actually talk about the reunion instead of one sentence sound bytes? Even if they were taking it slow and trying to just see how everyone gels - jesus, you can't do a band interview after 12+ months on the road? 

This is a chance to cash-in on 20+ years of lost revenue and you know what? Good on them for finally waking up and enjoying the fruits of their labor. Maybe if Axl had been more gracious and shit-canned Fortus/Frank - perhaps Duff and Slash would have been able to truly reunite the original band and rehab old wounds. Or maybe Axl, Duff, and Slash are just greedy and jaded rock stars who decided to cut out Izzy, Steven, and Matt to split the pie between themselves. Who knows.

Either way something about this situation feels odd and inauthentic...

• Like 4

The problem is Axl. We all know Slash and Duff would love to collaborate on a new Guns record again.

Slash and Duff are creative people and operate like normal acts in that they release albums regularly. I'm sure there will be a time when they broach the topic with Axl and hit the gigantic brick wall which stops the guy from releasing stuff. Then it will be either a choice to ditch Guns and go back to their own bands/solo projects, or continue nostalgia touring with the odd solo work fitted in (as their creative outlet). I suspect it will be the latter because of the lucre and that they are greedy as hell for cash.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The problem is Axl. We all know Slash and Duff would love to collaborate on a new Guns record again.

Slash and Duff are creative people and operate like normal acts in that they release albums regularly. I'm sure there will be a time when they broach the topic with Axl and hit the gigantic brick wall which stops the guy from releasing stuff. Then it will be either a choice to ditch Guns and go back to their own bands/solo projects, or continue nostalgia touring with the odd solo work fitted in (as their creative outlet). I suspect it will be the latter because of the lucre and that they are greedy as hell for cash.

im sensing from more and more people that guns will die as the nostalgia tour at least original fans that is 

they have no danger but perhaps for the posers and hipsters