Why on Earth has Axl Rose never ever covered anything from Thin Lizzy or Phil Lynott?

Why on Earth has Axl Rose never covered anything from Thin Lizzy or Phil Lynott?

Or has he?

Axl has said that Phil Lynott "saved his life" (or something along those lines) -- meaning that Lynott's/Lizzy music was very important to him

Axl has got the Black Rose tattoo on his arm that he always wanted to show to Phil Lynott

Axl wore a Thin Lizzy shirt on GNR's first major TV appearance on TV -- which, most likely, wasn't by chance -- and, after all these years, probably lead literally millions of people to listen to Thin Lizzy

To make matters easy, Slash seems to like Thin Lizzy

Slash has covered Jaibreak, Are You Ready and Cold Sweat live and he has even helped Ace Frehley to record a studio cover of Emerald

Even the alien that plays guitar for the threeunion has played on the Lynott-less version of Thin Lizzy, right?

Even one of the kids from One Direction is covering Lizzy these days!

So why hasnt Axl Rose ever sung any Thin Lizzy or Phil Lynott song live?

Or has he?

Why hasnt Axl ever recorded any song from Lizzy/Phil?

Why oh why hasn't Axl fucking Rose recorded a full album of Phil Lynott songs -- "The Irishman Incident", anyone?

188a8c32eabbb2b68d62d2e298a8ad9d.jpg

maybe he considers that every song is a masterpiece and a masterpiece cannot be recreated? im personally not a huge fan. i mean i dig thin lizzy but definitely not my favorite... i just think that if axl fuckin loves every single song he might not wanna fuck with it... same way i would never ever try to cover anything off of afd

• Like 1

dont forget thin lizzy where also GNRs support band in the uk(ricky warwick on vocals not lynott)

i cant see it happening now after metallica have covered a lizzy song. with the beef between GNR and metallica they wont want to be seen as following in them dullards footsteps 

Slash and Axl doing Cold Sweat, fucking hell that'd be amazing... :drool:

Also, since they're bringing back some of the old intro's and they seem to love adding more covers, Parisienne Walkways as an intro to Sweet Child would be really cool. Keep the blues jam/Johnny B. Goode and shorten or swap the Godfather for the Lizzy intro. :devilshades:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Thunder & Lightning or This Is The One would be great too. Fight Or Fall would be really cool if they did it right.

Yeah, Thunder & Lightning would be amazing, definitely, Killer On The Loose as well. Any of those could easily be Guns songs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

maybe he considers that every song is a masterpiece and a masterpiece cannot be recreated? im personally not a huge fan. i mean i dig thin lizzy but definitely not my favorite... i just think that if axl fuckin loves every single song he might not wanna fuck with it... same way i would never ever try to cover anything off of afd

that makes a lot of sense

i think axl would do great versions anyway... not sure today... but surely anytime 1985-1994

the other day i was listening to "hey you" and noticed it has some theme/lyrics similarities to "jungle" and "move to the city"

"got to give it up" also has a bit of theme/lyrics similarities to "bad obsession" and "brownstone"

best thing is that (please someone correct if i am wrong) most of lizzy songs can be sung in low voice -- that would fit axl today

can you imagine axl singing these tracks?

Edited by ludurigan

2 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i was never a big fan of Thin Lizzy cos all i ever heard was The Boys Are Back in Town but hearing more of Phil and loving Gary Moore....RIP both men...i have a better liking for Thin Lizzy. so if Axl ever does a cover just please don't let it be TBABIT! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash and Axl doing Cold Sweat, fucking hell that'd be amazing... :drool:

9 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Are You Ready would be fucking incredible as well. :headbang:

What they said, although some people could have a heart attack if GNR include more covers to their setlist:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

they could replace live and let die and knocking on heavens door and the seeker, right?

imagine this one...

and this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEiVBdhiVs

wow. you just gave me a wonderful gift with that first song..still think about you. it is awesome. thank you :) 

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

Massive Thin Lizzy fan here, I have the Bad Reputation album cover tattooed on my forearm. I have always thought "Do What You Wanna Do" from Black Rose was probably a personal anthem for Axl and a big reason why he gravitated towards Black Rose.

that makes sense... if your thoughts are correct, that song must have been a sort of revelation for axl. another great one that he could cover!