Unpopular opinion: NuGNR were better than this "reunion" of half measures.

Towelie

8 hours ago, Intercourse said:

you wrote that "there is word that slash and duff tried to get all the originals involved"

and then as a source you point to a story that makes mention of slash and duff trying to get Matt Sorum involved?

and this "story" is published on the AlternativeNation website?

By Bret "I like to pick headlines on MyGNRForum" Brechanan?

Sourced on a GNR Fan site?

wow! this is high quality verified info and i think it deserves to be spread out to all the GNR community!

:rofl-lol:

The clips I've watched seem full of bored people cordoned off into some sort of weird enclosure, brandishing gadgets and tat, having conversations and sometimes aimlessly going for a wander. Yes, I do not go to concerts that much now but surely concert-going hasn't plummeted this far? It was only 2016 infact when I last saw Neil and that had an attentive crowd of discerning music listeners (enjoying proceedings in their differing ways).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In all honesty....to the general public....

Axl and Slash are to GnR, what Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen were to the Chicago Bulls......as long as you have the 2 main attractions, you can fill in the rest with anyone, and most don't notice.

Same can be said of The Stones (Mick and Keith), Aerosmith (Steven and Joe), Kiss (Gene and Paul), etc......

True fans know what's up with their bands, but, to the general public, most just care about the "stars" being together.

On 6/27/2017 at 6:19 AM, megaguns1982 said:

my only real concern in this reunion is that Axl may have heaps of new gnr material he wants to put out while duff and slash want to start fresh.... it's anyone's guess what will happen but I'd guarantee that slash and duff want an album that will live up to the legacy

I would like some fresh material/new start myself....but wouldn't have a problem with using material Axl has worked on/hasn't put out, as long as Slash/Duff agreed and liked the songs as well......It would be neat to see some early demo songs finished/added like "Bring it Back Home." 

Best bet for me....would be to see a completely fresh album......then maybe later on, like an "unreleased/rarieties" album from 2010-2015 or so, of material Axl worked on, but wasn't released. That would be interesting as well. 

On 6/27/2017 at 9:35 AM, SoulMonster said:

Yes, that is the important thing to me, too. Classic guns existed in a limited period of time. It is now gone. It can't be recreated even if the same guys came back together. Because thye arent't really the same guys. Nor are we. The context has changed. They are distanced from who they were in the 80s, and so are we. It is gone and it is dead and long live the memories. So I couldn't care less if the lineup consists of 2 of those guys, or 3 of them, or even 5 - it still simply won't be the same. At least not to us who actually lived through that time and don't simply know the band from youtube and yearn for a period they never got to experience. The passion that drove them, the interplay that came fron hungry musicians living and breathing together, living under the streets, the raw feelings and controverses, lyrics that resonate with a specific time -- it can just never be recreated by these 5 guys again. It might superficially look like that band, or superficially sound like it, but it won't ever be that band. So if we want that real 1980s GN'R experience, with warts and all, we'd be better off with a lineup consisting of new hungry guys who resembled the band members back then, rather than a bunch of bloated, musical celebrities who come together from their mansions to do corporate nostalgia tours.

That's what I was hoping for with nuGuns. That it was comprised of guys who felt they had everything to prove. And felt the weight of the band legacy on their shoulders so that whatever they created would be good and interesting and take the band somewhere new. And with Axl there to create that important sonical connection to previous records. To make it an actual continuance. Now, with this lineup, I fear the best we can ever get is a live record from nostalgia tours. And I am happy for those that take pleasure in this watered-down version of the band, wteher they realize it or not, I am genuinly happy for all those that felt that this lineup was everything they wanted, to me it is just a step backwards, or rather a large step in absolutely no direction at all.

What you said in the first paragraph is completely true.......you can't expect a band to sound exactly the same as they did in their hey-day, just because they get back together now....

For example....take Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth" that came out in 2012.....you had 3 of the 4 originals back together, and the album was no where near as good as their early albums, but that was who the bad was at that point.

• 6 months later...
On 6/27/2017 at 3:15 AM, Towelie said:

Let's be honest, Axl Rose has single handedly ruined Guns N Roses. With anyone else at the healm, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven/Matt could've gone on to make multiple albums, and functioned like any other normal band, who release a record, tour it and then repeat the cycle. 

It is because of Axl Rose and his obvious mental health issues that this never happened for Guns. 

I'm only replying to the first 2 paragraphs of this topic from last year. The comment on mental health issues I'll only say that I don't know Axl but have loved someone diagnosed as bi polar since I was 16. With bi polar you get the very best and the absolute worst. Life can be challenging. But mental health issues aside. 

Axl Rose made and saved GnR. First without the dynamic frontman, GnR would not have been what it was in the 80's or early 90's. In another world, had the original 5 stayed together and released a new album every year and toured each album giving interviews and meet and greets which seems to be what people expect. How alluring would the band really be? Would we wait for each new album with anticipation and race to the record store upon its release? Would there be such forums as this? Would the band continue to attract new fans? 

The answer to each is no. GnR is as big as it ever was. For GnR I don't know how one can say Axl ruined it when looking at the success today. I mean, how much more fascinating can a lead singer be? Showing up 3 hrs late for shows? Ghosting himself for a decade (how does one as recognizable as Axl do that?!). All of these actions and not releasing 20 albums makes every move highly anticipated and people pay attention. 

I would argue that the current line up is every bit as much as Gnr as the 92/93 line ups were, and performance wise arguably better. 

Now the 92/93 Axl was better, yes. But the rest of the current band I would say is definitely better than the Illusion era. Slash has improved, Duff has improved. Fortus mops the floor with Gilby. While I'm no big Frank supporter, I can honestly say he sounds better on live recordings than Sorum does. Now, I have to give Sorum the edge because of his album work. But live? When I hear Sorums live drumming, it sounds not very good imo. I have a few different live boots from that era that I listen to quite often, and Sorum just plains sounds bad quite often. Now I know, many people say the same about Frank, but based upon the Apollo and Forum shows, I would put his performances above anything I've heard out of Sorum. He's just to heavy handed, lacks swing. 

Melissa is Traci, Roberta, and the horns all rolled into one. Plus she does add things to the CD songs. So all in all, id take her over the former. Plus she IS more appealing to the eye, than the older girls. I don't know if I would have elevated her to full band member, but that's a different topic. 

Dizzy is as Dizzy does...

As for Axl, he's more pleasant and on time, lol. So those are positives. He's not 28 anymore but he's still a very entertaining frontman. Plus in the studio, I think he would still be great. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 4