Rate: Axl's voice on AFD/LIES vs UYI/Spaghetti

Axl's vocals (multiple choice)  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple question - was Axl's voice degraded by the time the UYI records came out? Did you feel that there was a noticeable drop-off in his vocals from AFD/Lies to UYI?

Or...did you like his vocals more on UYI and TSI?

If you felt his vocals were weaker - do you think it was due to the Appetite tour straining his voice? 

Axl's 1991 tour vocals are....painful to listen to. He's got the rasp but it sounds incredibly painful just to hear him sing like that.

EDIT: Adjusted the poll to be multiple choice.

Edited by RONIN

6 minutes ago, dcon said:

I think he's been great on most everything he's done, but the last two tracks on Lies are the vocals I like best.

Agree especially on that last part. Those two might be the best vocals he ever laid down.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He sounds great on pretty much everything. I think TSI and Sympathy For The Devil actually have some of his best vocals, which makes the absence of a '94-95 album even more disappointing...

'91 is my favourite year of the UYI tour as far as bootlegs are concerned. He pushed it too hard sometimes, but on a good night, that was Axl at his peak IMO.

This

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He sounds great on pretty much everything. I think TSI and Sympathy For The Devil actually have some of his best vocals, which makes the absence of a '94-95 album even more disappointing...

'91 is my favourite year of the UYI tour as far as bootlegs are concerned. He pushed it too hard sometimes, but on a good night, that was Axl at his peak IMO.

I love his voice on tsi and sympathy for the devil, but I feel there is definitely a difference in his sound between those recordings. I'm not real sure what's missing, but it sounds different. It's like with sftd, you can hear his 99' vocals already. With the tsi, I didn't notice any real change from the illusions. 

• Like 1

Just now, mikeman5150 said:

I love his voice on tsi and sympathy for the devil, but I feel there is definitely a difference in his sound between those recordings. I'm not real sure what's missing, but it sounds different. It's like with sftd, you can hear his 99' vocals already. With the tsi, I didn't notice any real change from the illusions. 

His voice had definitely been worn down by '93, and some of the TSI songs were recorded then, but most were recorded during the UYI sessions. It was quite different by the end of the UYI tour but he still sounded great. I agree that you could kinda hear what his voice would become on SFTD, but it's still awesome IMO.

• Like 2

Changed the poll a bit to reflect some of the opinions here. Made it multiple choice.

I"m with you guys that LIES may have been Axl's peak. Some of the live shows he did around this time have incredible vocals. Also agree on TSI/SFTD sounding great. I prefer them to the vocals on UYI - even if they may have been recorded around the same time. 

My favorite vocals are probably on the AFD demos and TSI/SFTD.

Edited by RONIN

Eventhough it's my least favourite album (by far), Axl on TSI? is imo at his peak vocally. I also love his vocals on CD, really dig his approach on most of the songs (and the 100 layers of Axl's vocals make it all even more interesting to listen to).

Axl on Oh My God is also great. Definitely one of my favourites studio efforts from Axl

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ericy210 said:

I think the difference is in the amount of production on UYI/TSI versus the first.  Plus Axl was using effects on his voice, like on Coma.

CD, of course, is at a whole other level with processing and Pro Tools

I actually think Axl's vocals on the majority of Chinese Democracy tracks are relatively unprocessed. Sure there's a few too many layers of him on the title track and Shackler's but after that his vocal takes are pretty dry. Especially on the verses, I can only hear one recording which is occasionally panned across the mix.

2 hours ago, AlexC said:

Lies is Axl's best studio performance vocally imo. Specifically One in a Million. His vocals on that track are unrivalled.

agreed i would even go as far to say that the outro of one in a million with the piano and axl's vocals are the peak of his musical brilliance - there is no limit to where GNR could have gone should they have kept things together 

dizzy reed ruined GNR ----  FACT!! from him it's downhill  

Too many damn choices.. He was fucking amazing on Appetite and LIES..  PERFECTION. 

He sounded great on UYI for the most part too but got a little too screechy and cliche with the weird little sound effects he makes sometimes if that makes sense.. Same with TSI. He just got too carried away. He was still great all the way through those albums though.. It wasn't until CD came out that he started using the weird vocals that didn't sound so great on some songs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

If you haven't listened to "Since I Don't Have You" in a while, put it on.  And play it LOUD.   Axl's vocals are incredible.

Definitely!

I voted option #1, he sounds perfect on all albums.

On 6/28/2017 at 8:21 AM, Tom-Ass said:

Too many damn choices.. He was fucking amazing on Appetite and LIES..  PERFECTION. 

He sounded great on UYI for the most part too but got a little too screechy and cliche with the weird little sound effects he makes sometimes if that makes sense.. Same with TSI. He just got too carried away. He was still great all the way through those albums though.. It wasn't until CD came out that he started using the weird vocals that didn't sound so great on some songs.

My opinion as well. Screechy is the right word - that rasp gets a bit much at times (YCBM, Since I don't have you, etc). I don't know if that's a result of his vocals just being in decline already or if that was an artistic choice from Axl.

One thing is clear to me though, I don't think he chose the way he sang for artistic reasons on CD. I think he just wasn't able to sing the same way as in the past and  intentionally chose a style that was a better fit.

Edited by RONIN