Mulholland Drive

So I watched Mulholland Drive tonight, has anyone else seen it? What do you think it's about?

My theory is that (for those who have seen it) Betty is struggling with her sexual identity and  her feelings for Camilla and has a mental breakdown, or she's schizophrenic. None of the things that happen in the film are just a figment of her mental state

I thought it was something to do with a young starlet comes to town but then it also shows what happened later or how it turned out.

i think maybe like Twin peaks or Blue velvet, there's always this facade or dream, but then behind that there's these identities. We want the dream but we end up exploring our identity or selves, almost like if we solve it we can have the dream. But we are just existential detectives. 

Edited by wasted

The first part is a dream about how she would've wanted her Hollywood career to take off as Betty, full of success etc. In the real part of the movie (after they disappear into the blue box) her career (as Diane) is a total failure and Camilla pulls a bitch move on her, so she uses the money from her aunt to hire a hitman to have her killed. The bum behind the wall at Winkie's signifies the drop-off location for the key when the hit was done (a terrible place in her mind). She feels guilty about having killed Camilla and hallucinates her (abusive?) grandparents haunting her and in the end kills herself.

When I watched it I thought Diane and Camilla were like two parts of Betty. Almost like those celebrity couples, when they are together everything works, but when they split they fail. Because Hollywood is about illusion, the dream is the real part and the real part is more like a metaphor for the dream. 

Edited by wasted

20 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Let's face it, nobody fucking knows..... I doubt if even Lynch does. :lol:

I think he's said that his films are open to intrepretation. He doesn't like to explain too much. 

I think it is just very simple, some sort of criticism of the Hollywood dream. But the way he does it doesn't follow the hollywood narrative. It's just art movie conventions. 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, TheRipper75 said:

So I watched Mulholland Drive tonight, has anyone else seen it? What do you think it's about?

My theory is that (for those who have seen it) Betty is struggling with her sexual identity and  her feelings for Camilla and has a mental breakdown, or she's schizophrenic. None of the things that happen in the film are just a figment of her mental state

I saw it awhile ago and thought it was pretty good, but some parts were confusing. Not surprised since David Lynch did this movie too. lol

I do remember the two women being together, but not much else. It was confusing if I remember it.