War for the Planet of the Apes

Dan H.

The first one was great, but Franco and his family really dragged it down from perfection for me.

The second is damn near one of my favorite movies. It cranks up the tension right off the bat, puts energy and anxiety into the inevitable conflict between man and ape, and manages to slip in a lot of quality emotional motivation for the characters. When the action finally comes, it feels like the film has earned it, which makes the climax all the more powerful.

Debating on doing the triple feature at the theater on Wednesday, but its over 6 hours long and $25. Would be cool, but no matter how much I love movies and can't wait to see this, that's a long time at the theater.

12 hours for the Extended Lord of the Rings movies at my house was grueling :lol:

Was supposed to go to 8pm showing last night, broken down tube meant I got there 20 minutes after film started. As soon as it finished I went to another screening at another cinema to watch it from the beginning.

Good film, but I'd rank Dawn as my favourite. Looked beautiful; as much as I enjoyed Spider-Man: Homecoming, that film felt very flat/TV-ish visually. Almost every frame in War looked beautiful. One of the few films I've bothered to see in 3D, was impressed to hear it wasn't shot in 3D, unlike Dawn, as the 3D was immersive and impressive. Was shot on 65mm, and it's paid off.

Generally don't see the fuss about Giacchino, thought his score for Dawn was OK, didn't think much of his Homecoming score, but there were a few themes I liked in War.

Interestingly enough, for a film called WAR, there's a conspicuous amount of action missing. It seemed like DAWN had a good balance of exposition/character building and action sequences. This one is very heavy on the talk and it's a slow burn, with Ceasar in more compromising situations than I would have wanted. Something felt a little off about it the whole way through, though what, I cannot say.

Perhaps because there's no moral compass character James Franco or Jason Clarke, perhaps because Ceaser spends most of the film in captivity, so much of the film felt hopeless.

On 29/06/2017 at 5:31 AM, Dan H. said:

This trilogy is the best blockbuster action series since the Dark Night trilogy. Hell, maybe its even better if the reviews of the third are true.

What else can I say? Go see it!

Dare I say, a perfect 5/7?

6 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Interestingly enough, for a film called WAR, there's a conspicuous amount of action missing. It seemed like DAWN had a good balance of exposition/character building and action sequences. This one is very heavy on the talk and it's a slow burn, with Ceasar in more compromising situations than I would have wanted. Something felt a little off about it the whole way through, though what, I cannot say.

Perhaps because there's no moral compass character James Franco or Jason Clarke, perhaps because Ceaser spends most of the film in captivity, so much of the film felt hopeless.

Yeah, this really didn't feel like a large-scale WAR compared to Dawn, but I guess "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" was already taken. One of my main issues was that it didn't feel that much larger scale than Dawn. I still very much enjoyed War, but Dawn was just so amazingly crafted it's hard to beat. And yeah, the human characters are less sympathetic in this instalment.

I saw it tonight. I thought it was fucking awesome. Such a perfect way to wrap up the trilogy. Like appetite4illusions said much of the film feels completely hopeless but unlike him I felt that was the perfect tone for this movie. It had to feel that way. It raised the stakes and made it feel like you weren't exactly sure how it was going to end. Also as bad/evil or crazy as Woody Harelson's character comes across in trailers and the movie keeps that aspect in tact but oddly you sympathize with him and do understand why he's doing what he's doing. This was the perfect end to the trilogy. I'm more than happy with it. 

28 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Just got back from the cinema. It was absolutely terrible.

How is that even possible? I mean I could see if someone thought meh it was ok but not great, but to say it was absolutely terrible really makes zero sense to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I enjoyed the other two for what they were so it's even more surprising :shrugs: I'd go as far to say that it's completely generic/mediocre/predictable/boring. Other than some of the visuals I honestly can't think of any redeeming qualities.

The original Planet of the Apes is way better.

Any examples of why you felt it was generic and predictable? Almost every single professional and anecdotal opinion I've heard has been nothing but praise, and many have said it is pretty fresh compared to other summer blockbusters, with a nice slow pace and deliberate character arcs

• Like 1