How do we think Axl feels about CD?

17 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i dont buy the "forces outside of his control" story for one minute. i believe this talk is basically axl bullshiting us like he has done quite a few times basically. in 1996 he was the biggest rock singer since forever, forget about kurt cobain, forget about all the nu-metal crap that ruled mtv at the time. and even after alienating all the GNR people who created GNR music with him, he was given all the money and all the creative control do exactly what he pleased. i dont think there has ever been any other singer in rock n roll music that was given so much creative freedom, money and time to do exactly as he pleased.

Some of it was his own procrastination but some of it wasn't. 

Great post. And great question. Would love to here Axl talk about it. Maybe in one of his next interviews. 

He must be proud of it as he still plays the songs live. And he hasn't released another album, allowing the band to move onto new material. 

But it would be fascinating to hear his thoughts on how the album was received, if he regrets spending all that money and over a decade on just one album. 

And to hear why he didn't release CD2 like he said was going to come out in 2009. 

On 7/6/2017 at 9:43 AM, effectfreak said:

What really amazes me is that Axl thought that making a sort of comeback with 'Oh My God' was an good idea. I think it's an interesting song but not an anykind of hit song by anymeans. Did he really thought that fans of that kind of, more indie music, would be into Gnr song at Arnold movie, or did he thought that he could transfer that sound to mainstream? He might haved had chance if similar album had come out around same time...

At that point in time - industrial rock was still all the rage although fatigue was setting in. He was trying to catch the wave and the record company was pressuring him to release something. Unfortunately for Axl (and us) - the poor reaction to OMG made him retreat back into his shell and we didn't get new music until 2008.

Axl was always late to the party. Illusions was 1-1.5 years too late, OMG was 1-2 years too late, and Chinese was 8 years too late. 

On 7/4/2017 at 6:21 PM, Wagszilla said:

When I listen to the album instrumentally, I think it's an amazing and abstract musical journey. When I listen to the regular album I think it has a bad mix and too many layers.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 10:42 PM, TupacShakur said:

I think he regrets the vocals on the album he said in the china exchange interview that they didn't go over well with fans

I didn't think of it that way at the time but since he re-recorded TIL with those super-raspy vocals you could be right. Wish someone would leak that. 

On 7/4/2017 at 11:10 PM, Sosso said:

For a while, like with Chinese, I was trying to get my voice a lot clearer. I feel like that maybe fans didn't… necessarily respond to that so much as well, sometimes, at shows and things but I think it was very good for me to be even better at what I am doing right now.“

Thanks for that. As with any time he talks about his voice/vocals his meaning is opaque. Is he suggesting that by singing clean for a few years he's saved his voice so he can use rasp now? Or that he learned better techniques that he now applies?

On ‎7‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, ludurigan said:

sweet child and patience (and even knocking on heavens door, that was in a Tom Cruise blockbuster movie Days of Thunder) brought them a huge mainstream audience long before november rain and whatever they did later.

huge

anyone will tell you that sweet child o mine and patience (and, again, even knocking on heavens door) were among the most played songs on radio on the late 80s and 1990 (when GNR wasnt really doing much). believe me, it is very likely that every human being on the planet was exposed at least once to those songs durinng the 1988-1991 period.

These songs actrated pretty much very same audience that fell in love with November Rain much later.

Of course a zillions of kids who were too young in 1988-1991 only discovered GNR later and obviously NR (the song, the video) must have a huge impact on these people that discovered GNR post-illusions

that doesnnt change the fact that GNR was the biggest band in the world before the illusions were released.

Just check this shit in Brazil, pre-internet, seven months before the illusions were released

The early 90's I love was watching the music channel and seeing YCBM and watching Terminator 2 and hearing the song when the kids on the motorbike. T2 was a major movie back then, 7 or so years after the original. Good fuckin times!:headbang:

Which makes me ask the question what music video was released first November Rain or YCBM?

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

On 10 July 2017 at 4:58 PM, RONIN said:

At that point in time - industrial rock was still all the rage although fatigue was setting in. He was trying to catch the wave and the record company was pressuring him to release something. Unfortunately for Axl (and us) - the poor reaction to OMG made him retreat back into his shell and we didn't get new music until 2008.

Axl was always late to the party. Illusions was 1-1.5 years too late, OMG was 1-2 years too late, and Chinese was 8 years too late. 

Oh my God was on the End of Days soundtrack alongside industrial nu metal bands. It kind of did position them in the current scene.

I think it was a favor to Arnold and the band got into that song. Lyrically Axl seemed to be into it reading his press statement about it. It was a good opening shot. If Chi dem was the next single, followed by The Blues and Madagascar that would have been the first album. 

23 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Who knows what he thinks?

I know that I think the record should have come out in 2002.

But then no finished versions of Better, TIL, Shackler's, Sorry, Scraped. 

Better and TIL are the two they still play live now. 

On 7/12/2017 at 0:25 AM, wasted said:

Oh my God was on the End of Days soundtrack alongside industrial nu metal bands. It kind of did position them in the current scene.

I think it was a favor to Arnold and the band got into that song. Lyrically Axl seemed to be into it reading his press statement about it. It was a good opening shot. If Chi dem was the next single, followed by The Blues and Madagascar that would have been the first album. 

But then no finished versions of Better, TIL, Shackler's, Sorry, Scraped. 

Better and TIL are the two they still play live now. 

Maybe those songs would have been on a follow up. At that time, Axl was talking about a trilogy of albums.

10 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

Maybe those songs would have been on a follow up. At that time, Axl was talking about a trilogy of albums.

I've always thought that would've worked better. Saving Better and TIL for 2004. 

I think the problem was the first bombing then the label closing up shop.

The legal side with the image rights too didn't help them sell Finck and Bucket as Guns. 

I mean there's even rumors of Axl wanting to put a double cd in 2008. And the hostility Azzof displayed Axl showed how much the industry cared about Axl's band. Once the sales aren't there it wasn't happening. They actually had to sell it off to Best Buy to make it break even. 

Maybe if everyone could accept a lower level of success, but it wasn't like that at all. It was knives out for Axl. Maybe why they roll with a Code of Silence now. 

Now I just think of CD as a trilogy of material on one CD. It's got the whole story from TIL to Scraped. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

It's really unfortunate.

I'd love to hear some of the songs that are supposed to exist from that time period. 

Thyme, The General, Silkworms, etc.

I'd definitely like to hear that stuff, but it does seem like that moment has past. I don't know the scenario that will allow us to hear that stuff. I've always thought a re-release as a deluxe edition without too much fanfare, add a bonus disc to CD. 

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

Fair enough. I mean, it's the internet so of course there's going to be people putting lists like this together. The album still got many great reviews when it was released though and a lot of people enjoy it. So there's plenty of people on both sides of the fence. 

• Like 1