The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

I've really never ever commented on Axl or his voice in a negative way before. I'm grateful for the chance to see him and the rest of the band later this year. But on songs like Yesterdays or Michelle where the whole thing from top to bottom is sung with that cleaner voice, I would be perfectly fine if he dropped them and ended the show a little earlier. They just don't sound even remotely close to how they used to. And as pointed out earlier, not even like they did a year ago. Shorter show, sung with less songs that have to be sung like that, would be amazing. I'm worried that 3 to 4 songs where he uses that voice will give people an overall negative impression on what is generally a very good performance.

Edited by uzi your illusion

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

I'm worried that 3 to 4 songs where he uses that voice will give people an overall negative impression on what is generally a very good performance.

But it doesn't seem to be happening like that, save for on here that is! ;-D

I'm not going to lie and say that Axl is still sounding as good as he was in 2016, however i don't think people are giving him a fair shake. For one, a lot of people are comparing his recent performances to Arlington and Houston, which is misleading insofar as those two shows are not the standard of the NITL tour. They were great shows, but they are not representative of Axl as he is in the NITL tour, even in the 2016 American leg. On my second point, it is important to remember that while time goes fast, Axl has been singing both Guns N' Roses and AC/DC consistently for a year and a half now, with only limited breaks. Some degradation in performance is bound to happen, although i don't think it significantly affects the overall experience. I attended the Brisbane, Australia concert and he blew me away. It was fucking amazing, and everything that i could have hoped for. Was it as good as Houston? Maybe, maybe not. But it was still a great fucking performance.

• Like 1

I'm comparing it to the NJ shows I saw last year that were pretty much in line with the rest of the tour. I attended those shows with 3 other people who are fans but not diehards, and they went In with low expectations but we're blown away. They couldn't get over how great they said he sounded. I'm going to MSG this October with those same 3 and it will be very interesting to see if they notice a difference.

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I'm not going to lie and say that Axl is still sounding as good as he was in 2016, however i don't think people are giving him a fair shake. For one, a lot of people are comparing his recent performances to Arlington and Houston, which is misleading insofar as those two shows are not the standard of the NITL tour. They were great shows, but they are not representative of Axl as he is in the NITL tour, even in the 2016 American leg. On my second point, it is important to remember that while time goes fast, Axl has been singing both Guns N' Roses and AC/DC consistently for a year and a half now, with only limited breaks. Some degradation in performance is bound to happen, although i don't think it significantly affects the overall experience. I attended the Brisbane, Australia concert and he blew me away. It was fucking amazing, and everything that i could have hoped for. Was it as good as Houston? Maybe, maybe not. But it was still a great fucking performance.

My michelle LA- you can compare it to any show you want on that leg. It will destroy what we are getting now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chuzeville said:

People who mention aging to explain Axl's declining vocal abilities should take a look at McCartney's; it's not so good now, but he still was a great singer in his late 60s--and he did his fair share of shouting over the years.

I'm a big McCartney fan and have listened to a lot of his bootlegs over the years. I hold him in very high regard, but, in my opinion, there is a big change in his voice when he started touring again in the early 90's and power was one of the big things I thought was something he lost. Don't get me wrong, he always put on a great show, but his voice wasn't what it once was, especially in the Wings days. 

Axl, to give him credit where it's due, is still singing songs in the same key as what they were recorded in. His voice divides opinion, but I don't think it's as bad as some make out. I thought his vocal performances last year were outstanding and thought it carried on into this year, albeit minus the start of the European leg which took him a few shows to get going.

You Could Be Mine and Sweet Child are two songs that don't do anything for me anymore. I appreciate that for the casual fan, they would want to hear them, but I can still enjoy the other 95% of the show.

3 + hour shows and the challenging stuff that's in there, fair play to him, being 55 and performing like that is something not many are capable of. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

And people saying he's nailing Jungle are crazy 

hes all over the place currently on Jungle 

this is the worst I've heard him on the song especially this far into a tour, traditionally he gets stronger. I've seen no sign of that this go around 

I saw a pretty normal 2016 show, not one of the ones people list as the best but still a good show. He sings 1 line of WTTJ in the Mickey voice, and the rest with his raspy voice. I think it's a good representation of what most people saw on that leg, and it's way better than what he sounds like now (and yea he's all over the place now):

His voice now has that sort of 'grandma Axl' tone to it sometimes, similar to Vegas '16 but different, like he's trying to bring rasp but he just ends up spitting snot out instead or something. It's noticeable on songs like Jungle, Coma, sometimes Better, BHS, etc.

On 7/19/2017 at 6:44 PM, Jw224 said:

He's either totally fucked his voice or he just isn't bothered about trying anymore. I think  it's the latter. 

he doesnt try or give a shit in GNR. He sounded great in AC DC

also anyone who uses the age excuse is just making excuses, Chris Cornell was around the same age of Axl and he sounded amazing live.  Axl has not sounded good live since the 90s

Just look at how bad and weak he sounded in RIR 2001 and he had years to prepare for that show and could not even bother to get his voice in shape for the show.  Axl is just lazy its that simple. He does not care enough to keep his voice in shape

Edited by gnfnr2k
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I saw a pretty normal 2016 show, not one of the ones people list as the best but still a good show. He sings 1 line of WTTJ in the Mickey voice, and the rest with his raspy voice. I think it's a good representation of what most people saw on that leg, and it's way better than what he sounds like now (and yea he's all over the place now):

His voice now has that sort of 'grandma Axl' tone to it sometimes, similar to Vegas '16 but different, like he's trying to bring rasp but he just ends up spitting snot out instead or something. It's noticeable on songs like Jungle, Coma, sometimes Better, BHS, etc.

True, I know Detroit, Chicago, KC, and a couple others got that Mickey on the first line in Jungle. I'm fine with it as long as it's not like what it is now where it's Mickey every time he says Jungle...kinda a key part of the song to continue to lose your voice on. 

Grandma tone describes it quite well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

This performance is imo on par with what we're getting in 2017!

Still stronger, but not as strong as Arlington or LA.

i can accept this performance from Foxboro Bc you hear the grit in his voice from the start. He's trying. Watch My Michelle from any Euro show or Apollo..from the very start he goes straight to Mickey or clean falsetto whatever you want to call it it just sounds bad from Axl. He has a better voice than that 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gnfnr2k said:

he doesnt try or give a shit in GNR. He sounded great in AC DC

also anyone who uses the age excuse is just making excuses, Chris Cornell was around the same age of Axl and he sounded amazing live.  Axl has not sounded good live since the 90s

Just look at how bad and weak he sounded in RIR 2001 and he had years to prepare for that show and could not even bother to get his voice in shape for the show.  Axl is just lazy its that simple. He does not care enough to keep his voice in shape

Really? I'll agree he doesn't sound good atm but to say he hasn't sounded good live since the 90's is getting carried away.

When I went to see them play in Vegas I had almost nothing to go on for over 20 years .I had seen Guns 5 times over a short period from opening for The Stones and concluding with their shows with Metallica .I remember Axl as being one who could run around like a madman and still sing with incredible power .With the first Vegas show I thought that he sounded ok but walked away thinking time is undefeated and he had lost quite a bit of power but he was still passable .Fast forward 4 months to Dodger Stadium and I was blown away at his performance.It was if time had stood still in a sense .I thought he sounded fantastic for his age and any age for that matter for a majority of the songs .I rarely watch videos from other shows but follow the tour /setlsit etc on here .The other night was excited like many on here for the Apollo show I checked out quite a few videos and played the audio while driving and the loss of power is very noticeable to me in many songs .The first thing I noticed when I seen Metallica a few months back at the Palladium for the first time in 15 years was how much power James Hetfiled had lost in his voice but he still sounds passable and I'm curious to see /hear again next week if there's improvement .As far as Axl is concerned he still sounds passable even good on some songs to me but if it gets any worse on certain songs is it time  to retire them live ?ycbm ,scom are 2 that come to mine after listening the other night .

3 hours ago, Joolsy said:

Really? I'll agree he doesn't sound good atm but to say he hasn't sounded good live since the 90's is getting carried away.

no its not, its totally true.

Axl may sound decent on a few songs per show but overall he sounds like crap and his voice is gone espcially when you listen to sound boards or monitor mixes, you can hear how bad he is.  

17 minutes ago, gnfnr2k said:

no its not, its totally true.

Axl may sound decent on a few songs per show but overall he sounds like crap and his voice is gone espcially when you listen to sound boards or monitor mixes, you can hear how bad he is.  

so you're saying 2010, 2006, 2016 and the whole AC/DC tour sound bad?

1 hour ago, Cory Trevor said:

so you're saying 2010, 2006, 2016 and the whole AC/DC tour sound bad?

We are talking about in guns n roses where he does not true or give a shit.

IN GNR Axl has not sounded constistiny good since the 90s

Edited by gnfnr2k

10 minutes ago, Joolsy said:

He was consistently good in 2006 and 2010.

No he wasnt LOL  Some GNR fans are delusional when it comes to how Axl sounds.

You give shows that you claim Axl sounds good to non gnr fans and they  will tell youhow awful he sounds.

You have GNR fans that think Axl sounds great on black hole sun.  Those fans have zero crediblity.

All you have to do is listen to SCOM from any show to see how bad Axl sounds.

Edited by gnfnr2k

1 hour ago, gnfnr2k said:

IN GNR Axl has not sounded constistiny good since the 90s

Hell Axl was not always consistently good in the 90's either I would say - I have many bootlegs of the Illusion shows and many of them sound like Axl gargled too many razor blades before the show and its hard to listen to.  He was at his most consistent in the 80's - hell even before 1988 to get more exact

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Hell Axl was not always consistently good in the 90's either I would say - I have many bootlegs of the Illusion shows and many of them sound like Axl gargled too many razor blades before the show and its hard to listen to.  He was at his most consistent in the 80's - hell even before 1988 to get more exact

In the 90s Axl always had power in his voice. Axl lost all the power in his voice. That is why he sounds like Mickey 90% of the time

3 minutes ago, gnfnr2k said:

In the 90s Axl always had power in his voice. Axl lost all the power in his voice. That is why he sounds like Mickey 90% of the time

I disagree, I think the issue is effort not losing of power.  I saw the last two shows of the US leg last year and there was PLENTY of power there

Same with Axl/DC.  I dunno, Axl is someone who has a very demanding vocal style giving a very demanding physical performance as well.  Either Axl is vocally a tad more worn out at this point in time, or is getting a bit complacent at this point in time.  But I have no doubt the power is still there just like it was in 2016 when he chose to use it

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Joolsy said:

Quick look, here we go. If you think he doesn't sound good here we'll just agree to disagree.

So you found one of hte few times he sounded good on SCOM. You cant find 20 that he sounds terrible on.  

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I disagree, I think the issue is effort not losing of power.  I saw the last two shows of the US leg last year and there was PLENTY of power there

Same with Axl/DC.  I dunno, Axl is someone who has a very demanding vocal style giving a very demanding physical performance as well.  Either Axl is vocally a tad more worn out at this point in time, or is getting a bit complacent at this point in time.  But I have no doubt the power is still there just like it was in 2016 when he chose to use it

its a BS excuse to claim he has demanding vocals.  chris cornel had just as demanding vocals and he sounded amazing live and he and axl were only two years part.

Axl sounds ilke crap because he does not give a crap for GNR and does not keep his voice in shape.  

This is Axl at RIR 3 SCOM and look at how weak his voice is

It should have been strong but he sounded awful at RIR3

Edited by gnfnr2k