What Albums Are You Looking Forward To?

Gordon Comstock

So we're in the 2nd half of the year, what are some of the albums you guys are looking forward to hearing by the end of the year? Some of the ones I'm most excited to hear are:

Eric Nally - Madville

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7857126/eric-nally-solo-video-ruby

...The global tour gave the singer from on-hiatus Cincy rockers Foxy Shazam lots of ideas for his upcoming debut solo EP, Madville (due later this year), as he popped up out of the stage to help the duo cap each night's extravaganza with his forceful, soulful hook...

The "Ruby" video definitely feels like it has your hands all over it. How involved were you in the making of the clip?

I basically do all the creative visionary. ... I write the treatment, I work hand-in-hand with the director, and both the videos we've done so far, for "Ruby" and the second one for "Believe," they were both done in a similar way.

Where did you film it and what's the concept behind "Ruby"? It feels like it has a kind of 1980s Hall & Oates/early MTV vibe with the throwback graphic and overly dramatic storyline, but it also has your signature dramatic flair.

We did "Ruby" in Los Angeles three months ago, and on the day I got there it was the storm of the century and it never really rains in L.A. The video has a dark vibe, so that added to the production value. It was a blessing in disguise. Sinkholes were happening, it felt pretty creepy. The Easter egg is that the girl in the video is my partner who I wrote the song with, Pom Pom, who is a new producer from New York who I met through my publishing team.

Is this a video where we can take the lyrics to be pretty tightly connected to the kind of cloak-and-dagger drama on the screen, or is it more abstract?

The way the lyrics come across to me is she’s struggling with this... whatever it might be in her life, it’s haunting her. In my head, I was playing the role of the song, like I was playing the song itself, which kind of haunts your mind as you're writing it. If you think about it as your career, it's always looming around until you finally get control at the end and defeat it and you're either able to control it and nail it or, in this case, she wins.

Is Pom Pom the only producer on the EP?

No, for each song we're using a different producer... but she plays most of the instruments on that song. I’m the consistent thing throughout the music, and I bring what I do and coming off the Foxy stuff -- where it was always just six guys -- it's been really fun for me to branch off and do my own thing and take from other people.

Were you intentionally going for that 1980s synth-pop vibe on the song? And does the rest of the EP have a similar feel?

I did like that synth-pop vibe for this song. But this is a very different song from every other song on the record. That's why I like how it comes together. All the songs are so different, and that's what ties them all together. I'm aiming for eight to 10 songs.

You mentioned that you've bankrolled this all yourself so far. Do you have a label deal lined up yet? It sounds like you're definitely taking some inspiration from Macklemore in putting it together on that score.

Macklemore is really inspiring in the way that they are still completely independent. To do things on that level and still have creative freedom and everything under their control is super inspiring. Spending time with them, being inside of that and how it all comes together and works, has been a really valuable thing for me, especially in taking this step in my career. We haven't decided on a label yet.

After so many years in bands, what has going solo taught you?

Sometimes when you work with a group of people, you have to make compromises. With this, I've been able to embrace my confidence more in terms of what I like and get behind myself, have faith in a way where I don't have to compromise with anyone. 

What's your favorite memory from being on tour with Macklemore?

We had just played the MTV EMAs, and I was walking through the hallways [backstage], and Justin Bieber comes up and hugs me and says, "Dude, I'm a huge fan!" It was a quick passing thing, and I thought, "That was weird." But then later that night, we went to Ed Sheeran's penthouse room at the hotel for a party, and Bieber was there and we hung out and he was super nice. I realized you just never know. I'm a big fan of his newer stuff and it would definitely be a cool thing to collaborate. He definitely seemed to know who I was and recognized me right off the bat. Ed Sheeran was really awesome too. I was trying to figure out how to open a beer, and he just grabbed a pool stick and popped off the top with the end of it.

Anderson .Paak and The Free Nationals debut LP

Yelawolf - Trial By Fire

Edited by Gordon Comstock

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

So we're in the 2nd half of the year, what are some of the albums you guys are looking forward to hearing by the end of the year? Some of the ones I'm most excited to hear are:

Any idea when that Paak album is coming? Does it have a date?

As for me:

Foster The People - Sacred Hearts Club

Wintersun - The Forest Seasons

Dead Cross - S/T

Marty Friedman - Wall Of Sound

Steven Wilson - To The Bone

Leprous - Malina

Queens Of The Stone Age - Villains

Paradise Lost - Medusa

Zola Jesus - Okovi

Caligula's Horse - In Contact

Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

Wolf Alice - Visions Of A Life

There are more, but these albums have release dates.

12 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Any idea when that Paak album is coming? Does it have a date?

As for me:

Foster The People - Sacred Hearts Club

Wintersun - The Forest Seasons

Dead Cross - S/T

Marty Friedman - Wall Of Sound

Steven Wilson - To The Bone

Leprous - Malina

Queens Of The Stone Age - Villains

Paradise Lost - Medusa

Zola Jesus - Okovi

Caligula's Horse - In Contact

Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

Wolf Alice - Visions Of A Life

There are more, but these albums have release dates.

No date yet, I would guess fall/winter when they're not touring.

And Wintersun should be awesome :headbang:

57 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Bet Tool comes first.

It's definitely happening this decade. Hopefully. A Perfect Circle before. Then new Tool album, new AC/DC album, new Guns N' Roses album. Rock music ain't dead yet.

Also new Ghost record next year in spring. Probably first single during Christmas time.

Soundgarden was working on a new album, it's a shame. But Alice In Chains is recording a new album right now I think.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Supreme Clientele 2: Blue n Cream. Ghostface can throw an album together in a year that is killer and he's been working on this fucker for about 5 years so i'm sure it'll be top drawer. I think he wants to go out on this album.

Is that fuckin thing actually even coming out?

The ones I was looking forward to are already out. 

Flogging Molly - Life Is Good

Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want? 

Pokey LaFarge - Manic Revelations

Bob Dylan - Triplicate

Other that that.... There are some rumblings regarding a new Stones album. Obviously I'd go nuts for that. But I'm not counting on one for 2017. 

On 7/11/2017 at 3:40 PM, J Dog said:

I heard Prophets of Rage might be doing an album, I'll check that out if so.

I'd be interested in that one too! 

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Is that fuckin thing actually even coming out?

He was talking it up big about 2 years ago saying he's just waiting for some sample clearance and shit and haven't heard much since. Other than that from what i've read from him it's done, maybe he's just sitting on it as i was saying he implied it's going to be his swansong in an interview a few years back. Maybe RZA basically putting him at the helm of Wu has stalled it also.

Edited by Silverburst80