How many of us were around in the gnronline forum days

21 hours ago, IndiannaRose said:

Same. At some point, I also joined every other forum mentioned in this thread. In those days, being a fan of Guns N' Roses was like being a follower of some mystical, cross-dimensional religion. 

Well-put. And the reclusive Axl of that day was more surreal than seeing Nessie and Bigfoot having a tea party. 

• Like 1

I remember how back then EVERYONE was am "insider". 

Someone was always claiming to have heard clips, knew when the release date was, knew what was going on in the band. 

So many rumors had legs for so long because we never had any way to prove anything wrong. We all had to hope/guess that the latest BS'er actually had some info would eventually be true. 

It got so bad that when an actual insider posted the lyrics to Sorry years before the album came out, we all shit on them! Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was this site simply called gnrforum.com. Does anyone remember?

NewGNR.com used to upload videos from the 2002 tour. I would download them overnight on my dial-up connection.

Brazilian "BestofGNR.cjb.net" had a nice forum, still remember the owner's name, a dude called Animalesko. I wonder what the hell happened to him...

I used to visit GNRonline.com daily around 2000 and 2001. It was frustrasting.

I remember those scrolling news on MyGNR.com and its news section. Every time I entered the site I expected new stuff but it was always the same :lol:

Fun and very frustrating times...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I remember how back then EVERYONE was am "insider". 

Someone was always claiming to have heard clips, knew when the release date was, knew what was going on in the band. 

So many rumors had legs for so long because we never had any way to prove anything wrong. We all had to hope/guess that the latest BS'er actually had some info would eventually be true. 

It got so bad that when an actual insider posted the lyrics to Sorry years before the album came out, we all shit on them! Lol

I'm still waiting for all that shit to surface! :lol: 

Particularly the 1998-2002 demo's. The ones where we have Catcher, IRS, TWAT and that Checkmate clip from. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Satapher_Groddius said:

Lmao, such a legend. 

I was also in the gnronline forum, and I still remember the meltdown generated by Xozy and Renato back then lol. 

1 hour ago, xBrownstonex said:

Whatever happened to xozi? Is she still alive? 

Alright. Help those of us that missed the good old days. Who is that person?

• Like 1

Yes, I remember gnronline.com, but I didn't start posting or commenting until the blue message board.

Then you had mygnr.com with a link to this forum, so then the message board ended and this forum started in 2002.

I can't believe it was so long ago, but I remember it clearly. I spent a lot of time on here.   Eric Romano ran the page.  Members posted about their excitement for Chinese Democracy and Axl's master plan.  Everyone tried to predict when they thought the album was coming out; the end of 2002, then disappointment 6 months later, then predictions of definitely in 2003, and so on. 

90% of members would get all excited about Buckethead and Robin Finke and bagging the crap out of Slash, saying that they were better than Slash blah, blah. Move on, Slash is gone, this band is way better.   I'd be reading all this and rolling my eyes behind the screen with frustration, so I'd then reply with my thoughts.  It'd be a real battle zone for me trying to get through to people that didn't understand and were blinded by that joke of a band.  I'd refuse and still do refuse to call that band Guns N' Roses. It was plain obvious just listening to the fake GN'R play the real GN'R tunes and how they sounded nothing more than a cover band.  These punters couldn't hear the difference, or at least they'd tell themselves it sounded better for whatever reason I do not know.   I'd have my huge rant about how nothing less than Axl, Slash and Duff could be called Guns N' Roses, then get slammed for not moving on and not accepting that there never will be reunion ever.  It was lonely on here for me, I was one of only a few that stuck by the original band and couldn't see potential of Axl's revolving musicians.

My dedication and hope for a reunion got me banned 2 or 3 times and was forced to open a new account.  I'd have to clear my cookies and visit the page as a guest just to read, but couldn't post.   The only way I got my original account back up and running was to pay for it with membership or this forum.  Then when they finally agreed to open it again and unban me, hundreds of all my posts that have me giving my point of view of the real and fake GN'R have been deleted.

Anyhow, that's how it was and time exposes the truth in the end.... Ha ha, I'm not really a cocky person in real life, just a silly Guns N' Roses fanatic that is now very happy to see those fake GN'R clowns gone and Duff and Slash back home where they should be.

I'm very excited for the GN'R future!

PS.  I'm hoping this post doesn't get deleted.  ?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, nathanhall said:

Yes, I remember gnronline.com, but I didn't start posting or commenting until the blue message board.

Then you had mygnr.com with a link to this forum, so then the message board ended and this forum started in 2002.

I can't believe it was so long ago, but I remember it clearly. I spent a lot of time on here.   Eric Romano ran the page.  Members posted about their excitement for Chinese Democracy and Axl's master plan.  Everyone tried to predict when they thought the album was coming out; the end of 2002, then disappointment 6 months later, then predictions of definitely in 2003, and so on. 

90% of members would get all excited about Buckethead and Robin Finke and bagging the crap out of Slash, saying that they were better than Slash blah, blah. Move on, Slash is gone, this band is way better.   I'd be reading all this and rolling my eyes behind the screen with frustration, so I'd then reply with my thoughts.  It'd be a real battle zone for me trying to get through to people that didn't understand and were blinded by that joke of a band.  I'd refuse and still do refuse to call that band Guns N' Roses. It was plain obvious just listening to the fake GN'R play the real GN'R tunes and how they sounded nothing more than a cover band.  These punters couldn't hear the difference, or at least they'd tell themselves it sounded better for whatever reason I do not know.   I'd have my huge rant about how nothing less than Axl, Slash and Duff could be called Guns N' Roses, then get slammed for not moving on and not accepting that there never will be reunion ever.  It was lonely on here for me, I was one of only a few that stuck by the original band and couldn't see potential of Axl's revolving musicians.

My dedication and hope for a reunion got me banned 2 or 3 times and was forced to open a new account.  I'd have to clear my cookies and visit the page as a guest just to read, but couldn't post.   The only way I got my original account back up and running was to pay for it with membership or this forum.  Then when they finally agreed to open it again and unban me, hundreds of all my posts that have me giving my point of view of the real and fake GN'R have been deleted.

Anyhow, that's how it was and time exposes the truth in the end.... Ha ha, I'm not really a cocky person in real life, just a silly Guns N' Roses fanatic that is now very happy to see those fake GN'R clowns gone and Duff and Slash back home where they should be.

I'm very excited for the GN'R future!

PS.  I'm hoping this post doesn't get deleted.  ?

There were a lot of idiots posting during that time.  I got banned from several sites as well for expressing my opinion on the freak show that the band had become. 

28 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

MyGNR has always been an old band safe space ever since the reign of that See You Next Tuesday moderator. 

That said, GNR fans always have had a "we don't know what we got until it's gone" mentality. Shame. 

True....so true.

I remember being just about the ONLY person to say anything nice about Robin ever. Then the dude leaves and people started acting like we'd lost Slash again. I did the whole "AM FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!" thing because I was like "Did you all not CAVE my head in for the past 7 years over how insane I was for loving that dude??

On 7/17/2017 at 2:29 PM, axlweave said:

anyone remember T-boner

OH MY GOD YES 

THIS WAS THE BEST AND MOST ENTERTAINING POSTER OF ALL TIME !!! 

THE GUY WAS A GENIUS POSTER AND FUNNY AS HELL ! HAHAHHAHA 

I was on this site since whenever it started like 97 or 98?? That T-Boner guy had it all right, I think I may have agreed with everything he said. Where the hell is he!!?? 

On 7/17/2017 at 2:29 PM, axlweave said:

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

I'm pretty positive I bought a Live Era t-shirt from gnronline.com back in the day that I still have somewhere. Newgnr.com definitely had those 2002 clips on the site in 30 second bits that were EVERYTHING at the time. I remember showing my friends Axl's LALD scream as proof that he hadn't lost his voice, which was the prevailing wisdom of the day after the VMA's. Lostrose.com was also a really fun site. I'm not sure if it was there or one one of the other lost sites of yesteryear that had a section for downloads with a bunch of old demos? "Demon Bell" was one of the songs listed on there, anyone remember this? So many fakes back then.

2 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Yep.

But Robin was legit bad in many cases in 2002. He butchered Slash's solos. So I've always accepted that criticism. 

But back in 2002, people couldn't get past the fact that Bucket wore a mask. Same with Ozzy. Same with Tommy, as it turns out. It'd be like, hey, why don't you actually listen to the music instead of talking shit. By the time 2006 rolled around, pretty much everyone realized how good Buckethead was (because of Guitar Hero and the fact that people are sheep) and how terrible it was that he left. 

I think Robin won a lot of people over in 2006 though and as you say, the cycle repeated itself.

Maybe one of these days Pitman will get his due. 

Speaking of Pitman and the topic at hand... HisRoyalSweetness was my favorite troll. Eat My Silkworms made me laugh my ass off.

The same goes for Robin though, most hated him in 2001-2002 because of his goth look but once he had the rocker look the same people that hated him , loved him and his playing did not change that much.

Some GNR fans still dont realize how great they had it with BH just because he wore a mask.

The most fun times on all those old school forums is when stuff leaked, seeing everyone freak out and talking about the songs.

I remember when better leaked, just the intro part with the, no one ever told me.... and people were like FAKE that is not Axl LOL

Those were the days

Edited by gnfnr2k
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

In 15 years when I start a "Were you guys here during the 2016/17 threeunion" thread I'll be 40, most of you will be like 60 and Axl will be 70 :wow: ...I wonder if we'll have new music by then.

Such a youngin you are! :P I won't hold it against you though lol. :lol:

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

In 15 years when I start a "Were you guys here during the 2016/17 threeunion" thread I'll be 40, most of you will be like 60 and Axl will be 70 :wow: ...I wonder if we'll have new music by then.

oldest goat you're so funny and I love your cute profile pic haha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Wait... Are you telling us THE Oldest Goat isn't actually old??? :o

giphy.gif

• Like 4