New Music or Original Lineup?

I went to some European shows with my girlfriend : she was blown away by Richard Fortus. She told me Richard and Slash is the best guitar duet she has ever seen.

I totally agree with her.

So... a new album with this line-up, with the Slash/Fortus duet on guitar. 

Nothing would be better! ;)

Edited by Sunset Boulevard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, starlight said:

AFD5. NuGNR sucks and it's incapable of writing good music 

Were not talkin bout robin finck and buckethead here, its Slash and Slash has nothin to prove after releasing so many great albums. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ender04 said:

This is a no brainer. There's no reason to stay stuck in the past.

Excuse me, but isn't it a reunion tour a stuck in the past thing? They have been playing AFD and UYI songs, a lot of those songs Stradling/Rose. Adler joined them a few times on stage.  Axl had his chance to make more albums with Finck, Buckethead, Tommy, etc. He blew it!!! I find it unfair to ask Slash and Duff to rewrite songs from the early 2000s. It was Axl's job to take care of CD II 5 or 6 years ago. What Slash and Duff have to gain with CD II? Very little if anything.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, default_ said:

Were not talkin bout robin finck and buckethead here, its Slash and Slash has nothin to prove after releasing so many great albums. 

you're underrating Izzy's importance to the band here, his contribution is essential

New music - Adler isn't dependable and Izzy wants no part in it. It'd be cool to see guest spots pop up, but I think that ship has sailed.

New music of Axl's insane vision/lyrics meets with Slash's bluesy playing, a fabulous combination that worked in the early days.

10 hours ago, PeterNorth said:

If you could only get one, would you rather have a new album by Axl/Slash/Duff and the newbies OR an arena tour by the AFD lineup?

i want guns n roses making new music

axl, izzy, slash duff and a drummer (hopefully steven)

I want new music but its so unrealistic its hard to even say that.

If this is a fantasy scenario and I can ONLY have new music OR original lineup, but not both, I'd choose new music. But of the realistic circumstances, which is that they won't do new music and keep touring this material till they quit it, I'd rather original lineup for obvious reasons. If we're not getting anything new we should just keep getting more original members.

• Like 2

Definitely AFD5. Getting to watch the real deal live once would be the most amazing thing ever! On the other hand, getting a GNR album with Frank Ferrer on it would be like the worst nightmare :scared:

Of course AFD5 with new music would be much better but even if they don't release anything, nothing beats original GNR :headbang:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Padme said:

Excuse me, but isn't it a reunion tour a stuck in the past thing? They have been playing AFD and UYI songs, a lot of those songs Stradling/Rose. Adler joined them a few times on stage.  Axl had his chance to make more albums with Finck, Buckethead, Tommy, etc. He blew it!!! I find it unfair to ask Slash and Duff to rewrite songs from the early 2000s. It was Axl's job to take care of CD II 5 or 6 years ago. What Slash and Duff have to gain with CD II? Very little if anything.

This reunion tour is a stuck in the past thing, I agree. And although I enjoy it, new music is the only way to go. Even when the current lineup isn't the ideal one, they can still draw from the talent of three great and accomplished musicians. 

3 hours ago, starlight said:

you're underrating Izzy's importance to the band here, his contribution is essential

Im aware of Izzys role in the band but it doesnt mean Slash is useless.

Izzy is responsible for a lot of the songs we love but it doesnt mean he is the only one, theres not a single song he did alone, every member on the band was important to the process. Without Slash, Izzys ideas wouldnt be the same and vice versa. 

Will it be the same without him? Fuckin no, but it doesnt mean it wont be good, Slash has done a lot of GREAT stuff since he left Guns and is more than capable of creating a great rock n roll album, specially now that he has Axl on his side again. Axl may be nuts but he knows stuff, and theres also Duff and Richard and even Melissa that is an exceptional musician. 

Izzy is not the only person in the world capable of doing good songs. It would be great if he wanted to be there, but he doesnt so Im moving on, Im totally on it for a new guns album with Slash. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Id love new music......But, not from this current lineup.

Why? Its not my preference either but this is a better lineup than we've had for 15 years and its unrealistic we'd get all original 5 or Sorum back. And even if they did that would move just as slow. I'd obviously prefer original 5 back, but an album with Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus and Frank ain't bad. That actually sounds like it would be killer, especially if those first 4 really got in the studio and banged out music. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want music from THIS lineup, when everyone for years wanted music from a lineup with DJ Ashba in it. Now THAT I kinda didn't want. This would be good, I just doubt it ever happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Why? Its not my preference either but this is a better lineup than we've had for 15 years and its unrealistic we'd get all original 5 or Sorum back. And even if they did that would move just as slow. I'd obviously prefer original 5 back, but an album with Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus and Frank ain't bad. That actually sounds like it would be killer, especially if those first 4 really got in the studio and banged out music. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want music from THIS lineup, when everyone for years wanted music from a lineup with DJ Ashba in it. Now THAT I kinda didn't want. This would be good, I just doubt it ever happens.

I remain skeptical if Frank and Fortus would bring enough musical chops to augment Slash and Duff's musical ideas to make a killer Rock album. They literally have no significant projects to their name that suggest that they're on the same level. Yeah they've both proven to be capable session players and good live/touring musicians, but thats it. Throw Melissa into the mix and it sounds even more lame. 

Im not expecting an AFD reunion/ nor an album. Ive long since learned not to expect shit fron GNR and you wont be disappointed. 

• Like 4