Forbes List: Guns are 2nd best paid musicians in 2016

Only beyonce made more money.

2. Guns N' Roses

What began with a secret show at the tiny Troubadour in Los Angeles last April became GNR’s highest-grossing tour to date. Despite Axl Rose’s doubts, the tour is still ongoing, accounting for most of the group’s $42 million in earnings in 2016. LAST YEAR: N/A

http://www.billboard.com/photos/7865108/highest-paid-musicians-2016-money-makers

Edited by xBrownstonex
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

It's no doubt a great acheivment but somehow cheapened knowing what they pulled on izzy.  

Inviting him to be part of it but not giving him the same amount of money because they bought him out at his request 20 years ago and he's had no interest in managing the brand since?

25 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Inviting him to be part of it but not giving him the same amount of money because they bought him out at his request 20 years ago and he's had no interest in managing the brand since?

maybe the offer they made him should've been fair?  

2016/2017: traveling the world making millions on songs izzy wrote or cowrote and cutting him out over shared greed.  then axl and duff lying about it on TV.  

...moving right along.  

Axl could spend some of those millions in a great vocal coach and maybe get some of that raspy AXL/DC voice back? I mean, it's great he's making money but part of that money should be applied in making him sound good again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

2016/2017: traveling the world making millions on songs izzy wrote or cowrote and cutting him out over shared greed.  then axl and duff lying about it on TV.  

...moving right along.  

How do you know it wasn't fair? He said it wasn't "equal". 

You gotta be happy for the band for getting it right for once and doing an extremely profitable and successful tour. Beyoncé is number 1, but remember she had a brand new album, an award winning HBO special and very high profile media outreach including her pregnancy. GnR didn't even promote their tour in any fashion. 

If you count the Coachella payday and the AC/DC runs, I think Axl may have made the most money than any other musician last year. Without releasing a single second of new material. Impressive.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

...moving right along.  

I don't know how much but Izzy does get paid every time they perform a song he has writing credits on.

52 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Is that volume or gain?

I assume it is what the artist/band was paid for each category.  Didn't the NITL tour gross around $300 million in 2016?  If these numbers are accurate, it shuts down the idea that the band is getting $3 million per show for NITL.  Based on the number of dates, they ended up with under $1 million per night of "loot" to split.  Caveat being if these numbers are accurate.

Also, notice on the whole list the ratio of tour earnings to sales and streaming earnings.  That's why concert tickets are so expensive these days.  If musicians had to rely on sales and streaming, they wouldn't really make that much.  Even though a few million a year is a nice salary, the VAST majority of musicians can't do that consistently for years on end.

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I assume it is what the artist/band was paid for each category.  Didn't the NITL tour gross around $300 million in 2016?  If these numbers are accurate, it shuts down the idea that the band is getting $3 million per show for NITL.  Based on the number of dates, they ended up with under $1 million per night of "loot" to split.  Caveat being if these numbers are accurate.

Also, notice on the whole list the ratio of tour earnings to sales and streaming earnings.  That's why concert tickets are so expensive these days.  If musicians had to rely on sales and streaming, they wouldn't really make that much.  Even though a few million a year is a nice salary, the VAST majority of musicians can't do that consistently for years on end.

These 42 millions are just for 2017.

North America, South America and Australia grossed round about 130 millions. They grossed in London alone about 17 million.

28 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

These 42 millions are just for 2017.

Can't you read.

4 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

The list was Billboard, not at all Forbes. So I guess it was US only.

Guns N' Roses is the #17 biggest rock band worldwide in terms of streaming services. But can't reach top 20 in the US. You have artists like Drake that are pulling impressive numbers and million of dollars with those services. GN'R released one new album in 25+years, it's quite easy to understand why.

Off ~$300,000,000 in tour sales they only made $42,000,000????? 

And split that three ways, then tax half, managers, agents....

WHAT!!!

That's not that much dough...

No wonder they're doing more laps

Edit: My spelling is now borderline ah-trosh-ish 

Edited by ramsey

12 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

congrats to uncle axl and to sell outs slash and duff 

now they can do the duck tales thing and feel relevant again 

I still can't fathom that people on a Guns N' Roses forum call GNR sellouts because they did a tour with Slash and Duff again...

If someone would have told me that 2 years ago I would have thought they were fucking with me!

8 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I still can't fathom that people on a Guns N' Roses forum call GNR sellouts because they did a tour with Slash and Duff again...

If someone would have told me that 2 years ago I would have thought they were fucking with me!

Maybe they're just mad they couldn't afford going to a show.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 9:08 PM, maynard said:

Axl could spend some of those millions in a great vocal coach and maybe get some of that raspy AXL/DC voice back? I mean, it's great he's making money but part of that money should be applied in making him sound good again.

You can't "buy back" YOUTH that way, buddy boy... 

15 minutes ago, AncientEvil80 said:

You can't "buy back" YOUTH that way, buddy boy...

Axl doesn't need to be young  to sing well. Have you seen him with ACDC last year? I repeat, last year. 50 something years old Axl kicked ass last year. Youth has little to do with it.

13 hours ago, ramsey said:

Off ~$300,000,000 in tour sales they only made $42,000,000????? 

And split that three ways, then tax half, managers, agents....

WHAT!!!

That's not that much dough...

No wonder they're doing more laps

Edit: My spelling is now borderline ah-trosh-ish 

Something doesn't make sense.  They really only get 14% or less of the gross?  I know that the production is expensive and  they have to rent the venues but 14% seems a bit low.

Granted, even if this is accurate and taking into account the crazy California state income tax, they'll still end up with over $7 million each for the year.  I'll take that to get a free trip around the country/world and rehearse/perform once every 2 or 3 days for a few months at a time!  If only I had any musical talent!