Most sensitive fanbase?

maynard

Visiting message boards of bands I like is something I deeply enjoy. It's been years I read MyGNR daily. Being a NIN fan, I visit Echoing The Sound every day as well. Other boards I usually pay a visit are U2 boards and some Reddit pages for less known bands.

My experience in all these places is varied. NIN discussions are almost 100% free of drama. Trent rarely makes mistakes. Healthy discussions most of the time. If someone criticizes Trent, people usually mock the guy or if it's reasonable enough, even good discussion emerges from it.

U2 fans in general are also calm and rarely unhappy. Discussions about Bono's voice/political bullshit happen and the most loyal fans get a little bothered but never seen things getting personal myself.

Another place I rarely visit is a Bon Jovi forum. Usually because I like to compare the Jon Voice Discussion threads with the Axl ones we have here. Unless it's obivous trolling, discussing JBJ's voice is usually healthy and the general thought among the fans is that Jon is struggling and singing very badly. Fans are fine acknowledging this.

The most sensitive fans I've seen on the internet are surely GNR/Axl fans. Just at another thread I read a guy who said U2 is a better experience than a GNR show today and a poster told him to "suck dick". I'm yet to see fans to get personally offended like GNR fans do.

How about you guys? How is it with another bands? I'm not considering Facebook/Youtube comments cause it's full of retarded people. I'm talking about "closed" communities.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, maynard said:

Visiting message boards of bands I like is something I deeply enjoy. It's been years I read MyGNR daily. Being a NIN fan, I visit Echoing The Sound every day as well. Other boards I usually pay a visit are U2 boards and some Reddit pages for less known bands.

My experience in all these places is varied. NIN discussions are almost 100% free of drama. Trent rarely makes mistakes. Healthy discussions most of the time. If someone criticizes Trent, people usually mock the guy or if it's reasonable enough, even good discussion emerges from it.

U2 fans in general are also calm and rarely unhappy. Discussions about Bono's voice/political bullshit happen and the most loyal fans get a little bothered but never seen things getting personal myself.

Another place I rarely visit is a Bon Jovi forum. Usually because I like to compare the Jon Voice Discussion threads with the Axl ones we have here. Unless it's obivous trolling, discussing JBJ's voice is usually healthy and the general thought among the fans is that Jon is struggling and singing very badly. Fans are fine acknowledging this.

The most sensitive fans I've seen on the internet are surely GNR/Axl fans. Just at another thread I read a guy who said U2 is a better experience than a GNR show today and a poster told him to "suck dick". I'm yet to see fans to get personally offended like GNR fans do.

How about you guys? How is it with another bands? I'm not considering Facebook/Youtube comments cause it's full of retarded people. I'm talking about "closed" communities.

I don't have a ton of experience with this overall as I've never gotten real deep into any other bands forums. My limited experience would have me learn towards GN'R fans being the most sensitive by FAR with respect to GN'Rs place in music history or how they stack up against other artists.

I'll give you some examples of what I mean from the few other artist forums I've dabbled in:

Pink Floyd - Similar to us in that there are ENDLESS discussions about what is or is not Pink Floyd; "It's NOT Pink Floyd without Syd!", "It's NOT Pink Floyd without Roger!". Those discussions then lead to the same thing we go through; "A Momentary Lapse of Reason is NOT a Pink Floyd album!". Outside of that, their fans seem pretty happy overall and don't get too uptight over much.

The Black Crowes - These fans are ALWAYS bitching, but again, it's internal stuff. Don't like this album or that one, don't like this member or that one. Nothing external.

Elvis Presley - Again, generally happy fan base. Where they're similar to us is that a lot of the complaints have to do with how management handles things, i.e. re-issues are rip offs, tons of stuff in the vault not being released, etc

The thing that separates those forums from GN'R forums is definitely the sensitivity about how the artist stacks up against anyone else. I don't think I ever saw Floyd, Elvis or Crowes fans getting so bent out of shape if someone said another artist was better at anything in particular or overall.

• Like 2

MJ fans are a tough bunch. Very hard to openly discuss various aspects of his personal life on MJ fan forums, without being ostracized by the vocal majority who constantly paint MJ as a martyr.

Mozza fans are mostly a bunch of cunts.

Prince fans are the coolest cats on the net.

33 minutes ago, Towelie said:

MJ fans are a tough bunch. Very hard to openly discuss various aspects of his personal life on MJ fan forums, without being ostracized by the vocal majority who constantly paint MJ as a martyr.

I was just going to post that I imagine MJ has 'difficult' fans. No personal experience of his forums but he's possibly the one person who is more contentious than Axl.

I've seen Madonna fans getting a bit precious, not on a specific fan forum but generally across the internet. She seems to have similar levels of criticism/devotion as Axl.

I read once that Lady Gaga has a hardcore fan base but have nothing but hearsay to back that up.

40 minutes ago, Towelie said:

MICHAEL JOSEPH JACKSON WAS A SAINT AND YOU SHANT SAY OTHERWISE!!!!!!!!

(I've never joined an MJ forum, but I assume most of my posts would consist of the above example)

Yeah, Justin Bieber, One Direction, 5th Harmony all the bands that have a huge teenager fanbase are the most sensitive by far. Just check out youtube or something and see for yourself. 

I agree, it's a sensitive fan base, I certainly am one of them, I personally don't feel obligated to defend or debate many other bands, but after the bullshit and destruction axl and his lawyers and  fake management pulled, I get that people want to set the record straight that axl and his employees were straight up bullshit and the nitl tour proves it every night.

gnr is an aggressive band with an aggressive sound, then on top you have what axl did to the band/brand which is widely seen as outrageous.  the difference between other bands and gnr is how axl went on by himself claiming the name and trying to claim the credit by erasing and refusing to even acknowledge the writers and architects of the band he tried to steal. 

I get the Pink Floyd analogy about syd and roger waters, and for the record I don't consider anything WITHOUT roger waters to be true Pink Floyd, however the "core" of the band was intact, it wasn't like David Gilmore went out as PF without any members. they were all there except for waters so there is way more legitimacy for me.  I see Syd as Steven, a great talent but too fucked up to be a part of it. 

The passion and sensitivity that comes with guns isn't a band thing, I enjoy people who have different positions and aren't afraid to share. 

hey, fuck it, it beats talking politics.  

• Like 3

As for GNR fans, I kinda like the attitude. I'm more annoyed at the ones that come here everyday of their life complaining about the same shit over and over. I mean it's their right, just sooner or later no matter how much you like something you kinda need to say fuck it i have better things to do than complain about the same thing I've already complained about 1,000 times.

For others, Eminem fans used to be awful. You couldn't even suggest that someone was even close to their boy let alone better. They truly earned the nickname stans.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J Dog said:

As for GNR fans, I kinda like the attitude. I'm more annoyed at the ones that come here everyday of their life complaining about the same shit over and over. I mean it's their right, just sooner or later no matter how much you like something you kinda need to say fuck it i have better things to do than complain about the same thing I've already complained about 1,000 times.

For others, Eminem fans used to be awful. You couldn't even suggest that someone was even close to their boy let alone better. They truly earned the nickname stans.

Yeah also i'm not sure about other forums but there's quite a few here that don't even seem to like the band and really just stir shit. It's kinda like maybe fuck off to a forum of a band you do like instead of hanging around here. I mean Pearl Jam's 10 was the first album i bought with my own money but i could give a fuck about them now, doesn't mean im going to hang around a PJ forum to talk shit on them everyday.

On 18/07/2017 at 6:29 AM, MB. said:

Yeah, Justin Bieber, One Direction, 5th Harmony all the bands that have a huge teenager fanbase are the most sensitive by far. Just check out youtube or something and see for yourself. 

Weren't Glasgow Rangers and Little Mix fans going at it on twitter for awhile not long ago?, i think it as over who should have the Christmas number 1 song or some shit. Thankfully it stayed a twitter beef it mght have got ugly for the Mixers (that's what they're called on the streets).

• Like 1

From sites I go to:

RHCP - pretty calm fanbase with one problematic topic - John Frusciante

Nick Cave - very cool conversations going on but god forbid you don't think he is a gift from god to mankind, then you are fucked

Muse - have a lot of old fans that just shit on anything new to Muse and it's really annoying to read all that. Really annoying 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 5:22 PM, Nicklord said:

Muse - have a lot of old fans that just shit on anything new to Muse and it's really annoying to read all that. Really annoying 

In fairness Muse hasn't done anything good since the mid 00s, and even then they were a poor mans Radiohead

6 hours ago, Dan H. said:

In fairness Muse hasn't done anything good since the mid 00s, and even then they were a poor mans Radiohead

I never understood why Radiohead vs Muse is still a thing. Only Muse's debut was similar to Radiohead after that it's totally different. Also all 3 last albums had their moments and their live show is still great spectacle with every tour looking totally different. The Handler, Exogenesis all 3 parts, Dead Inside, Reapers, MK Ultra, Supremacy, Animals, Unnatural Selection... all great songs from the last 3 albums. I mean they are not great as they once were but bitching about that for 10 years every day can't be good

Muse took a lot of their sound from Radiohead. I won't go as far as accusing them of intellectual theft, but they really wear that influence on their sleeves. Especially albums like Supermassive Black Hole and Origins of Symmetry. It just sounds like high school kid versions of Radiohead songs.

Although ShowBiz through Origins have a lot of catchy pop songs, they're a pretty boring band, and always have been. Now they're making almost laughably bad albums like Drones (even the title and album artwork is like a photoshop by an angsty teen who just discovered politics)

This isn't me tryin to praise Radiohead here, just calling it like it is. 

And I'll concede that they put on a great live show. Saw them at Lollapalooza not too long ago and I had a good time. Its fist pumping arena pop, and that kind of music always thrives at big venues with lots of lights and pyro and shit.

Edited by Dan H.

Bieber fans, mostly because they're teen girls who can't handle even the slightest hint of criticism and call anybody who doesn't fit up their alley a hater. 

Pink Floyd fans can be horrible elitists as well. 

I also feel that Radiohead and Muse fans can't handle criticism well. I speak from experience as I hate both bands.