07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

It begins at Jungle so apologize please haha

Jungle was fine. DTJ was fine. I'm sure he wasn't perfect for the whole show, but compare this to UCAP Chicago, the Bridge School, Rio.... This is fabulous. 

3 minutes ago, beebee_head said:

Which track best illustrates the vocal worth of Melissa? 

The synth in the November Rain intro is slightly off I'd say, but good during the rest of the song.

Chinese democracy 

26 minutes ago, gnr estranged said:

I was there last night, I went at around 6:30 and wound up getting a ticket. I know everyone is complaining about the set list, but seeing them in such a small venue,  I was blown away. It was a weird crowd, I would say 30% of the orchestra left after a couple of hours, but there were some die hard fans scattered in. Not sure if this was mentioned but Sirius gave everyone 2 free shirts, free beers all night, and a free poster on the way out. The band all seemed like they were in really good moods, laughing and smiling at each other. Yes there were no surprises, I would have loved to see Izzy and Steven there but seeing Axl, Slash, and Duff in such a small venue was good enough for me. Here are clips of a few videos I took. (sorry for such a shitty review, I'm hungover and at work)

You have a pic of those shirts and posters?

Edited by xBrownstonex

2 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

Hey guys, I found this awesome video from last night but the audio was pretty bad so I replaced with the board mix. I don't take any credit for the video. 

Nice. Thanks for doing that!

• Like 3

I'm glad they did an AFD anniversary gig, but like most people, disappointed and surprised that they didn't focus on AFD and that Izzy and Steven weren't involved.

The band were probably the most unpredictable and innovative around 30 years ago, but now seem happy to go through the motions, albeit providing a great and rewarding musical show.

Maybe it's Axl getting revenge for all the criticism he's had for being late etc, as some people think it was his decision.

I'm not a very musical person, and am impressed with the technical criticism in some of the posts/reviews, but have become an experienced writer, partly inspired by bands like Guns.

One of the first lessons I learnt, in university on essays and as a freelance for articles, is that you should focus on the subject, rather than trailing off into irrelevant material; related or unrelated. 

I think that's like the mistake the band/Axl made at the Apollo: they tried to fit all their favourites/information in rather than focusing on AFD/the subject. 

We the fans seeing the Apollo set list are like examiners/editors reading a paper/article thinking they included a lot, but didn't address the subject enough.

The band must be applauded for their long set, but probably would have made most people much happier if they'd played an AFD set for an hour!?

I'm trying to avoid that mistake at my 30th anniversary of my travels starting blog: https://travel25years.wordpress.com/

Guns will always be an inspiration though, and I'll always remember and recognise that.... as well as being great musicians... and maybe even with more music released in the future... although hopefully after recapturing some of their creative magic...

9 minutes ago, oachs83 said:

Hey guys, I found this awesome video from last night but the audio was pretty bad so I replaced with the board mix. I don't take any credit for the video. 

Really great video, thanks. 

Axl nearly kills Slash with his mic stand at 1:37 though!

10 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

I'm glad they did an AFD anniversary gig, but like most people, disappointed and surprised that they didn't focus on AFD and that Izzy and Steven weren't involved.

It was not an anniversary gig - never advertised as such. It was a special NITL show, and at the same time the band acknowledged AFD's 30th with some material being displayed around NYC.

That's my interpretation of things anyway.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

It was not an anniversary gig - never advertised as such. It was a special NITL show, and at the same time the band acknowledged AFD's 30th with some material being displayed around NYC.

mine too! Just can't understand why the hashtag and pictures around the city

• Like 1

Just listened to the soundboard version of Rocket Queen from last night.  The intro is nothing short of amazing.  Definitely showcases the talent level of the band.... incredibly crisp and clean layers....probably what Axl had intended many of the layers in Chinese Democracy to sound like...and makes me wonder how much better of an album that would have been with this version (and production) of the band.  

49 minutes ago, axlslash said:

So I'm only up to Jungle so far, but all y'all complaining about Axl's voice can fuck. Right. Off. He sounds great.

ISO, Brownstone and Jungle are always great.. It falls apart after that.. The Jungle was off the hook though. Tons of energy...

13 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

Thanks Nico, I might have got carried away with the general expectations consensus, with the marketing making it seem like a special gig for AFD's 30th.

As you point out, it was never clearly promoted as only an AFD anniversary show.

I think L.A. would have been the right place for that anyway... or/and London, remembering they were bigger here when Appetite was released, according to the band's autobiographies etc.