07/20/17 - NYC - Apollo Theater

alfierose

I enjoyed listening to the show on Sirius. I had a listening party at my house with my "A Rig" sound system. The mix was fantastic. Axl sounded like 2017 NITL Axl. Which is to say very meh. Autopilot has definitely been engaged. 

The band sounded great and very tight even though Frank's style is still very wrong for Guns, but that's 10 years old news. 

I will say that I thought it was very lazy to not prepare a new song or even a new old song. But what are you gonna do. NITL tour is very much Corporate Rock. 

Still blew the shit out of Appetite for Democracy. 7/10

5 hours ago, Juventino said:

I'd like to see them get rid of This I Love and Sorry. Both are boring songs live, if you want to keep the Chinese theme, play I.R.S instead.

I don't know if I want to hear IRS but those other two songs are fucking brutal...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't know if I want to hear IRS but those other two songs are fucking brutal...

I'd rather hear something which rocks, which is why I don't mind them playing Chinese Democracy and would like to hear IRS. Better I don't really care for but can tolerate out of the usual CD songs, far more than This I Love and Sorry.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think they're fine. This I Love makes sense because it is one of the more popular Chinese tracks, which was also written during the UYI days. Sorry is also a fine song, although i thought it was being performed better during the first American leg. I didn't mind Slash's original take on the solo, but he has since fucked it around.

23 minutes ago, Dar97 said:

They've been rehearsing Prostitute if they played that it would be awesome

They've rehearsed Perfect Crime and Slither has been on the alternate setlist for a while now. I have no faith in anything new until its actually played. Rehearsals of songs we actually want to hear largely mean nothing.

10 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I really don't get what people have to complain about. We got a fucking great stream of a fantastic show. The band was on point, and Axl sounded great for the most part. I think the GNR community in general is just way too fucking spoiled for its own good. It's ridiculous.

People get all up in arms whenever we have a pro anything because whenever there's a direct feed to Axl's vocals you hear the flaws. Honestly, its there most every show, we just don't have a direct feed to it. So it becomes amplified and then its "he sounds bad" or "terrible". I'm not defending him, there are many times he does sound bad. But face facts people, he sounds bad MOST of the time. You only notice it on the good recordings we get, which is why every Axl Rose disaster is proshot stuff. There could be a million more but its masked by bad Youtube audio. So either just admit that he always sounds pretty bad or enjoy proshot stuff when we get it has become my MO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

GN'R could walk on stage in St Louis on Thursday and jam for 5 hours straight and it would still get the record for being the longest GN'R gig. What they play during the gig doesn't change how long the gig is.

Listen, I'm not trying to say that the 2009 NuGuns gig in Japan was better than the amazing gig in Inglewood, because in my opinion it wasn't. But I am however saying that counting from the second they walked on stage to the second they walked off the stage then the Japan gig was longer.

We did compare it exactly end of 2009....and Inglewood'91 is still the winner. I can dig out all the details if you want.

As for Apollo....hey, finally we have a free(!) soundboard! Axl's vocals are damaged since 2001, so 16 years later i still can hear some power here and there. Enjoy what's left!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibbo said:

3.10 mark :awesomeface:

Thanks for this!  Awesome.  I much prefer this Apollo version to the album (and I like the album).  Axl shows exactly what he is capable of here, vocally.  Good to see him working the old snarl and menace.  Love how he sort of pounces from out of nowhere to lean on Slash like the old days - that was bloody good to see actually - and scares the shit out of him.   

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterNorth said:

This voice is just awful...sounds like Mickey Mouse getting his balls squeezed in a vice while singing old GNR tunes.  Let's face it, right now Axl is the weak link in GNR.  Slash and Duff can make their instruments sound just like 1986-1988 (maybe even better as their performances are no longer clouded by drugs/alcohol), but Axl is a far cry from the band's peak.  As for the business side, once again Axl is the weak link as I believe it is he who is preventing Izzy and Steven (especially Steven) from assuming their proper place in the band, while we get the second rate imposters instead.

Don't forget Axl is likely the reason we don't have any new music released as well. It's always fucking something. He has some great moments in songs but also typically has some very cringe inducing moments vocally in the same songs. Kinda makes sense though that Axl is the guy you just gotta hope has a good night while the others can always be counted on. Only difference from the past is that now instead of talking about punctuality and being a decent person...we're talking about ability to musically perform.

9 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Sorry, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, but no, thats not the case at all. Don't bog yourself with trying to put logic to things with GNR. People end up sounding beyond crazy, but I get that thats what this band does to people. I'm just saying don't get sucked into that.

Remember, Adler is VERY unreliable. I love the guy, but in the same "confirmation" of stuff for Appetite 30th he also said he has no involvement and just believes thats happening. He went from saying something was planned to he heard plans to he's hoping Fernando will do something. So remember that, cause that kept getting forgotten. Adler knew NOTHING, he was assuming, and clearly nothing was ever planned for Appetite specifically.

Nothing got cancelled or was being held for the last minute. They played a special show at the Apollo cause Sirius gave them a channel and this was obviously part of the deal. It had nothing to do with Appetite and never did. Billboards were put up to honor Appetite's 30th and also just coincided with the show, but the two weren't connected. It was simply because the show took place the day before the anniversary, so the show gets people talking about the anniversary. But the show is not in honor of that. Those are just the facts.

Beta's instagram, I'm sorry, but is just a stupid fucking thing. There's no other explanation for it. She was congratulating AFD 30 by including the original members and then for no reason the current band members. Presumably just because they're there. I think she'd just as much congratulate only them, but realized the stupidity of congratulating the album without acknowledging those original guys. So she just did them all. Again, think of it as nothing more than the stupidest fucking post in awhile and thats fucking saying something.

People sadly give GNR too much credit. Things don't fall apart. They plan things, deliberately and without much logic. "We'll do a show". Thats it. And then people add backstory to it, or the band accidentally posts dumb things which suggest something else. Thats not the case. They simply, rightly or wrongly, plan things (and plan is a strong word, they get an idea and just execute it) and if it doesn't work out with the fans they blame it on something else.

You make good points that given the GNR camps tack record would be difficult to disagree with.  And what you say about Steven not knowing anything concrete and announcing he's tapped out is especially true.  Betas post might just be pure stupidity but I am still caught on why she did it show day and not anniversary day.  

Maybe different elements of those who brought this show intended it as AFD and the band just didnt comply with that?  I can anticipate that you might consider that giving them too much credit.  But Sirius is a new element in the process.  

11 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@Tom2112,

I am by NO means s CD hater, quite the opposite. I have ALWAYS saw the beauty of that album. Having said that, I also can't ignore that it was heavy on the roses and light on the guns. Instead of guns, axl tried to get a bunch of hired guns to fill those shoes. Also about 1/4 of the album could be considered Numetal, so it has a lot going on, which I don't dislike. 

We could argue over the solos to TIL, sorry, better, CD. Do you prefer Slash or the album versions, and go back and fourth and not really get anywhere. But to be honest I'm not even really talking about the main guitar solos, I'm talking about Slash's guitar work in general. I'm sorry, but Slash's work at THIS concert, on those CD songs is BETTER than what's on the album. He adds new elements, he does indeed help give them new life. All 4 of those songs are HARDER now than they EVER were before, including on the album. Why? They have guns in them finally.

I prefer the album solos, to be clear :) As for general guitar work, I preferred how the previous line up arranged the guitars especially on chinese, with richard doing the effects, Ashba (as much as I loathe mentioning him) covering the basic riff and Bumble adding that great fretless rhythm. The current take sounds like a hybrid but it doesn't have the right feel anymore without the fretless IMO. I heard the leaked CD track before bumble and thought it was ok, but bumbles guitar parts elevated that song... without them it's still good, but less so. 

I agree that Slash gives them a harder edge in places that the previous line up didn't, but still maintain that the previous line up weren't exactly holding back. I enjoy hearing the current band playing them, even though I don't enjoy the solo sections... I don't even like how Richard plays the Better sweeps, so it's not just a Slash thing. I just think Bumble, Robin and Buckets parts (for the most part there re exceptions) were great as they were live and on record and preferred the previous years versions (with the exception of the intro to Better, which is ...Better ;))

4 hours ago, Gibbo said:

3.10 mark :awesomeface:

Wow.  I LOVE how dirty and sleazy Slash makes that bridge after the solo sound.  Instead of sounding electronic and sterile as the previous guitarists have played it he makes it sound like something he would have written.  And, Axl sounds really great too.  

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I really don't get what people have to complain about. We got a fucking great stream of a fantastic show. The band was on point, and Axl sounded great for the most part. I think the GNR community in general is just way too fucking spoiled for its own good. It's ridiculous.

Absolutely!! The overreaction to this show is a bit dramatic too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I was talking to him and he said he will be mixing another angle and will post it in a week or so.

He said BEST SHOW OF MY LIFE!!!

Hey Gibbo, any chance you could get Markit Aneight's master video files just like Philladelphia, East Rutherford and Landover 2016? His videos are the best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lim666 said:

We did compare it exactly end of 2009....and Inglewood'91 is still the winner. I can dig out all the details if you want.

As for Apollo....hey, finally we have a free(!) soundboard! Axl's vocals are damaged since 2001, so 16 years later i still can hear some power here and there. Enjoy what's left!!

Sorry, I was not aware of that. I could've sworn that the Japan show was about a minute longer but if you say it ain't so then I guess it ain't! I'd love to see the details!

@SWINGTRADER and @FRANSAD: Sorry for being somewhat of a dick but I really was 100% sure, I guess I should have looked it up more thoroughly! :shrugs: