Has Not in this Lifetime taught you anything about the band?

Or made you feel differently about them in anyway? From either following the tour closely or attending multiple shows (or just one).

I think Rocket Queen has become my favourite song of theirs, a song which was always Estranged (maybe the less than stellar vocal performances of the latter have something to do with this). I find this quite surprising, Rocket Queen is just a stunning song, shame that there are live sex noises on the album version which no doubt hinders radio play :lol:

It's hit home the sheer brilliance of Appetite for me (there can't be a hard rock album which come close). I'm going to make a point of blasting it regularly from now on. 

I've been stunned by the popularity of the band, who in their wildest dreams could have predicted this? Record breaking (almost) attendances all over the world. Who would have thought? It makes this little community seem all the stranger, I mean there aren't that many regular contributors here, we're the online presence of one of not, if not the biggest band in the world right now. (I know there are one or two other forums out there too) 25 years on from an important release of theirs. Just wow. I guess online geeks are a tiny minority what ever the subject matter.

i think for all the criticism levelled at Team Brazil, they deserve some credit for their role in this.

I've become ever so slightly tired of Coma live, which is strange, when I've grown even fonder of the Appetite stuff, that I've heard for the millionth time. It's no longer a set highlight for me, guess for all it's brilliance it's not at the level of magic as the Appetite numbers.

Edited by Carburetta

I learned more about Axl from AC/DC 

Slash- I'm blown away by his skill...he keeps getting better. Worth the ticket alone.

Duff- does anyone hate Duff? Guy is awesome

as a band, I found out you can't just replace certain parts and expect to still be as good or better. GNR is structured around every instrument being unique and playing an important role in the song while also blending together in a way that makes it seamless. This band has songs it blends well together but there are songs we are missing a Matt or Steven on drums and Izzy not being there sucks in that the experience of these guys together would be more complete with him there. 

But this tour has shown that there is a craving for GNR after all these years. And if they can get their shit together we might see one more grasp at a creative venture between a couple legends. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I learned more about Axl from AC/DC 

Slash- I'm blown away by his skill...he keeps getting better. Worth the ticket alone.

Duff- does anyone hate Duff? Guy is awesome

as a band, I found out you can't just replace certain parts and expect to still be as good or better. GNR is structured around every instrument being unique and playing an important role in the song while also blending together in a way that makes it seamless. This band has songs it blends well together but there are songs we are missing a Matt or Steven on drums and Izzy not being there sucks in that the experience of these guys together would be more complete with him there. 

But this tour has shown that there is a craving for GNR after all these years. And if they can get their shit together we might see one more grasp at a creative venture between a couple legends. 

I second your observations on Slash. His skill and these songs are worth the price of admission.

They've played with some of the best hard rock drummers ever, but don't mind playing with the worst.

Duff really likes to do a lil' backwards shin kick as a manner of expressing full rock power.

Edited by soon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

I'm happy it happened, but I do think differently about Slash. Not as much Duff, but I was a loyal Slash fan. I still am, but before this tour I really couldn't fault most of his career. This... I really never thought he'd return without Izzy and Steven or Sorum. I just really didn't. He's taking the money on this one, and thats fine I can't fault him for that. But I think he's less great than I envisioned him to be. To be playing Chinese songs. He really is, when you look at it, crawling back to Axl cause of a divorce and cause this is easy. Whereas before he was playing very reasonably priced shows in great small venues with dynamic setlists putting out great albums with a killer band. It seems like he's calling less shots on this tour, kind of as they all are, and just going along with the ride.

Thats fine, I don't begrudge him and I'll still support his new albums and tours if they ever come, but it did make me think differently about him. Whether that reasoning is right or wrong I'm not sure, but it is how I feel. I know not everyone thinks Izzy or Sorum are necessary, but I do think he should have done as much as he can to get Izzy on board and I just can't think of a good reason why he and Duff didn't fight for Sorum. That truly just makes zero sense. But hey, I love seeing him back with Axl. Its just not quite how I envisioned him rejoining the band, playing Chinese songs and all.

I agree with most of this....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frey said:

Slash returning without Izzy and Steven/Sorum and playing CD songs doesn't surprise me at all. As someone recently described in another thread, he was angling to get back into the band and tried to not piss Axl off too much for years. And as soon as Axl got his head out of his ass and called, Slash was ready and willing.

Plus, Slash's never been particularly picky about what or who he's playing with as long as he got payed, so I figure CD songs must be pretty alright with him compared to some of the utter crap he's played on.

All of Slash's talk about only doing it for the right reasons and with everyone on board were just pretty words to save face in front of the media and nothing else.

The only thing I'm really surprised about is that they're still holding on to their dumb "no interviews, press conferences or actually telling people what's going on, ever" - policy.

And that Izzy, of all people, somehow turned out to be the guy not involved in any way at all in this, considering that he was the one guy who got along with everyone.

Agree in part "no interviews" is dumb

- that still they are by far the best band on this planet for me and no one could ever Substitute them

- that there is a good vibe between the band members (Prague Show was so satisfying as you could see them smiling so much and interacting)

- that Axl still is the best frontman ever

- that Duff is the coolest guy ever

- that I really don t care about Frank and Melissa (I could have had a photo with Frank in Vienna but didnt care at all that he was Standing 5 m next to me)

- that Richard is cool [and sexy :ph34r:] and as Long as Izzy doesnt come back I am super fine with him

- that I miss Steven in the band

- that some People are really strange - they pay 300 EUR for an early entrance ticket and then they dont even wanna be front row but anywhere in the golden circle :wow:

- that thanks to the NITL tour I met @EricA and we had a lot of fun at the 3 shows

- that the concert is worth every Cent you pay for the ticket

• Like 3

What the tour has taught me is to just take the band as it is and enjoy it. I spent the first year of the tour hoping that Izzy and Adler would be involved during the tour or a full on reunion after this tour would happen but I've learned to accept it probably won't happen

I'm enjoying watching the band return to being one the biggest bands again and this is the best line up since 93. I just want a new album at this point and if it's new material with this line up then that's fine even though it would be better with Izzy and Steven. 

When it comes to GNR all I'll say is "expect nothing and you'll not be disappointed " 

35 minutes ago, Natty said:

- that still they are by far the best band on this planet for me and no one could ever Substitute them

- that there is a good vibe between the band members (Prague Show was so satisfying as you could see them smiling so much and interacting)

- that Axl still is the best frontman ever

- that Duff is the coolest guy ever

- that I really don t care about Frank and Melissa (I could have had a photo with Frank in Vienna but didnt care at all that he was Standing 5 m next to me)

- that Richard is cool [and sexy :ph34r:] and as Long as Izzy doesnt come back I am super fine with him

- that I miss Steven in the band

- that some People are really strange - they pay 300 EUR for an early entrance ticket and then they dont even wanna be front row but anywhere in the golden circle :wow:

- that thanks to the NITL tour I met @EricA and we had a lot of fun at the 3 shows

- that the concert is worth every Cent you pay for the ticket

^^THIS

...and that LiveNations organisations mostly sucks !...

...and that the hard rocking 18year old me, back from 92, is still alive inside, and that Guns are the only band that "force" me to do crazy fangirling things:P

• Like 3

I can't help but feel a bit dissapointed by the fact that Slash and Duff didn't make sure Izzy was on board as well.

I'd love Steven to be there but it's understandable they didn't wanna take that risk.

An honest interview about these things (and the topic of new music) would be helpful. :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Or made you feel differently about them in anyway? From either following the tour closely or attending multiple shows (or just one).

I think Rocket Queen has become my favourite song of theirs, a song which was always Estranged (maybe the less than stellar vocal performances of the latter have something to do with this). I find this quite surprising, Rocket Queen is just a stunning song, shame that there are live sex noises on the album version which no doubt hinders radio play :lol:

It's hit home the sheer brilliance of Appetite for me (there can't be a hard rock album which come close). I'm going to make a point of blasting it regularly from now on. 

I've been stunned by the popularity of the band, who in their wildest dreams could have predicted this? Record breaking (almost) attendances all over the world. Who would have thought? It makes this little community seem all the stranger, I mean there aren't that many regular contributors here, we're the online presence of one of not, if not the biggest band in the world right now. (I know there are one or two other forums out there too) 25 years on from an important release of theirs. Just wow. I guess online geeks are a tiny minority what ever the subject matter.

i think for all the criticism levelled at Team Brazil, they deserve some credit for their role in this.

I've become ever so slightly tired of Coma live, which is strange, when I've grown even fonder of the Appetite stuff, that I've heard for the millionth time. It's no longer a set highlight for me, guess for all it's brilliance it's not at the level of magic as the Appetite numbers.

I've been stunned by the popularity of the band, who in their wildest dreams could have predicted this?Record breaking (almost) attendances all over the world. Who would have thought?

Why are you stunned? What rock did you crawl out from under? Guns were Massive, they wrote & played some of the best hard rock ever with global appeal. Unfortunately Axl fucked one of the greatest bands to grace this planet. It is no surprise the reception they are receiving.

It makes this little community seem all the stranger

What makes this community strange is the volume of posters who legitimise to themselves the 96-15 era as GnR. Its beyond nuts. That band & album would be nothing more than a "unpleasant fart in a car" in the history of rock had they not rode the coat tails of one of the greatest rock bands ever. The sooner someone winds down window & they are forgotten the better.  

The whole situation still upsets me, the greatest waste of talent & potential in music, period. 

• Like 4

I love this band and I saw four shows... but I've learned slash and duff will sell out izzy over money,  and that nothing is sacred.  

and I strongly disagree about any credit being given to Team Yes.  gnr is the most mismanaged band in the history of the world... and Beta's the luckiest babysitter in Malibu.

there's a difference between managing a band and enabling axl through sleazy business tactics. 

• Like 1