Has Not in this Lifetime taught you anything about the band?

I saw Axl 5 times since GNR got back together, 3 times with AC/DC (Washington DC, MSG, Philly) and twice with Guns (Meadowlands, Dublin). Heres what I learned:

1. Either Axl sounded better with AC/DC, OR... we hear what we want to hear. I like AC/DC more than GNR so did he really truly sound better, or did I just like the concert more? I'm not sure. 

2. Duff is the coolest 53 year old I've ever seen. Just a cool cat, great stage presence. Still has a bad ass air about him. 

3. Slash is still Slash. Just a great all around performer. I'm sure he made some small mistakes at the shows I went to but I sure didn't notice them. I'd pay to watch that guy play just about anything. 

4. Despite annoying my friends at the NJ Guns show for hours beforehand about how great it would be if Izzy was there, I actually liked Richard Fortus, and his interplay with Slash on the solos and some extended breakdowns of the longer songs. I would still choose Izzy, but more for sentimental reasons than anything else. 

5. I'm not a "drums guy", so to me Frank was fine. (I also liked Chris Slade in AC/DC when the die hards hated him, so I guess I just drown it out and am more focused on singing and guitar). 

6. Melissa is cute and does a great job playing the computer. My kids like her blue hair. I'm not sure what she adds to the band. Dizzy is not cute and I'm not sure what he adds either. Not really a fan of keyboards. 

7. The shows sound way better in person than watching on youtube and periscope. Or, like I said above, maybe my mind tricks me into thinking this is true, hard to tell. 

8. Axl is just a weird dude. Love him, but he's weird. The stuff he wears, the odd comments between songs...I guess as a kid in 88 when I first got into them I didn't notice it, but he just seems bizarre. That said, I'd love to meet him. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

I saw Axl 5 times since GNR got back together, 3 times with AC/DC (Washington DC, MSG, Philly) and twice with Guns (Meadowlands, Dublin). Heres what I learned:

1. Either Axl sounded better with AC/DC, OR... we hear what we want to hear. I like AC/DC more than GNR so did he really truly sound better, or did I just like the concert more? I'm not sure. 

2. Duff is the coolest 53 year old I've ever seen. Just a cool cat, great stage presence. Still has a bad ass air about him. 

3. Slash is still Slash. Just a great all around performer. I'm sure he made some small mistakes at the shows I went to but I sure didn't notice them. I'd pay to watch that guy play just about anything. 

4. Despite annoying my friends at the NJ Guns show for hours beforehand about how great it would be if Izzy was there, I actually liked Richard Fortus, and his interplay with Slash on the solos and some extended breakdowns of the longer songs. I would still choose Izzy, but more for sentimental reasons than anything else. 

5. I'm not a "drums guy", so to me Frank was fine. (I also liked Chris Slade in AC/DC when the die hards hated him, so I guess I just drown it out and am more focused on singing and guitar). 

6. Melissa is cute and does a great job playing the computer. My kids like her blue hair. I'm not sure what she adds to the band. Dizzy is not cute and I'm not sure what he adds either. Not really a fan of keyboards. 

7. The shows sound way better in person than watching on youtube and periscope. Or, like I said above, maybe my mind tricks me into thinking this is true, hard to tell. 

8. Axl is just a weird dude. Love him, but he's weird. The stuff he wears, the odd comments between songs...I guess as a kid in 88 when I first got into them I didn't notice it, but he just seems bizarre. That said, I'd love to meet him. 

He definitely sounds better with AC/DC....And I like GNR way more than AC/DC so you're not just biased. As I think a lot of people here have said, he can just screech out those songs at the top of his lungs, while GNR material takes much more effort and variety, so that's not surprising.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've learned, most of all, that when these guys are together, they can create absolute magic, regardless of wheather Axl's voice is a bit worse than it used to be or Slash's tone is not exactly the same or whatever. The energy, the chemistry - nothing will ever equal it. I've seen Axl with his band and he probably sounded better vocally but so what? The whole thing hardly made any impression on me. The right feeling wasn't there on that stage and it didn't affect the audience either. It was a decent show, like most other band's shows that I've seen in my life. This, on the other hand, was pure magic, an unequalled, totally unexpected, unbelievable experience. I'll go gain as many times as I only have a chance.

I also learned once again how much I've missed due to being too young to see these guys live in their prime time. Considering what this year's show was like, those early ones and the ones in the 90-s would have probably killed me ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

I love this band and I saw four shows... but I've learned slash and duff will sell out izzy over money,  and that nothing is sacred.  

and I strongly disagree about any credit being given to Team Yes.  gnr is the most mismanaged band in the history of the world... and Beta's the luckiest babysitter in Malibu.

there's a difference between managing a band and enabling axl through sleazy business tactics. 

This! Considering that a couple of months before the tour was announced, duff was saying that he got stuck writing the song for his book so he asked izzy for help and izzy pretty much finished the song even the drum parts for him. You'd think there would be some sort of loyalty there. But I guess the money is just too good!

This tour also showed me that duff & slash today are still the same as the early 90s, they would just go along with what axl wants. They probably had to sign the same contract they made Steven sign.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Natty said:

- that still they are by far the best band on this planet for me and no one could ever Substitute them

- that there is a good vibe between the band members (Prague Show was so satisfying as you could see them smiling so much and interacting)

- that Axl still is the best frontman ever

- that Duff is the coolest guy ever

- that I really don t care about Frank and Melissa (I could have had a photo with Frank in Vienna but didnt care at all that he was Standing 5 m next to me)

- that Richard is cool [and sexy :ph34r:] and as Long as Izzy doesnt come back I am super fine with him

- that I miss Steven in the band

- that some People are really strange - they pay 300 EUR for an early entrance ticket and then they dont even wanna be front row but anywhere in the golden circle :wow:

- that thanks to the NITL tour I met @EricA and we had a lot of fun at the 3 shows

- that the concert is worth every Cent you pay for the ticket

Seriosuly? You write this long post and don't mention Slash at all?! :max:

Hey @RussTCB, can you suspend this heretic for a week? :lol:

• Like 1

Also, not to still be a bit of downer, but it basically proves that Axl is liar that he can finally get on stage on time. It never bothered me that they didn't, but I never understood why he didn't just tell the truth. He always came up with excuses that were in the end, as this tour proves, were a complete lie. So it doesn't and never has bothered me, but it does show how borderline disrespectful he can be at times that obviously its more than easy enough for him to get on stage on time.

Just sayin.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Seriosuly? You write this long post and don't mention Slash at all?! :max:

Hey @RussTCB, can you suspend this heretic for a week? :lol:

We all know Slash is a beast and a huge part of the success of this tour. 

I was thinking of as many points as possible to sum up everything and forgot slash 

Sorry All of the big 3 are awesome and the minimum ingredients we need. But if we add Izzy and Steven to the recipe it would be just delicious :-)

This tour has taught me that with GNR, it's always been and always will be TOO LITTLE TOO LATE ...

All this should've happened in '96, with the correct people.

The only thing that can redeem the legacy somewhat now, is a vault studio/live boxset.  Done correctly please.

• Like 1

On 18.7.2017 at 9:21 AM, Natty said:

- that I really don t care about Frank and Melissa (I could have had a photo with Frank in Vienna but didnt care at all that he was Standing 5 m next to me)

LOL same for me. He walked towards me as I walked to the hotel. I'm so glad he didn't see me with my GNR shirt or I would have had to pretend that I recognize him and give a shit. Whenever I see stage pics of Frank and Melissa from the concerts I went too, I'm taken aback, as I swear, I never saw them during the show on stage.