What the hell was he thinking? (Sorum Drum Solo)

37 minutes ago, Asia said:

It was a lot shorter and definitely better. Sorum's just never ended. But all in all no solos are definitely the best option. Even Slash's is boring, except when he plays godfather or some blues that actually has melody.

Exactly plus he played it, from what I saw, as a bridge like section during Rocket Queen. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

I've said this many times but i miss Sorum in the band Sooo much!

I never appreciated him so much until having to suffer through Frank the last year and a half.. Fucking brutal.. 

• Like 3

Frank is awful. He has no idea what the vibes of the songs are and he kills some very important momentuns. He plays everything the same way.

Steven was the right choice from the beggining, and Axl made good choices with Freese and Brain, but both Sorum and Frank were terrible picks.

Though I think Sorum had improved a lot by the time of Contraband.

6 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

From 3:30. seriously. The head thing made me laugh.

i wont find the video (or the interview, cant remember) now

but according to matt sorum it was AXL ROSE who told him that he should to a drum solo in rio

according to matt sorum axl didnt even told this to matt himself -- he asked his bodyguard Earl to give the news to sorum in his hotel room in rio

Just to make things clear: AXL ROSE TOLD EARL TO TELL MATT SORUM THAT HE WOULD LOVE MATT SORUM TO DO A DRUM SOLO IN RIO

what the hell was he (axl) thinking?

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

'Drummer Beginner' is my favourite nickname for Frank lol. Can't remember who thought of it though.

Speedy Franky Fills!

10 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

From 3:30. seriously. The head thing made me laugh.

9 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

He had to show how metal and tough he was.

8 hours ago, Sith Lord said:

I remember Matt saying that Axl told him to do a drum solo at the last second.

8 hours ago, janrichmond said:

i remember that too, i think it was Rio 91 and then every fucking show after.:lol:

MD: At our last interview, in 1991, you were just about to embark on your first Guns N' Roses tour. What was that whole experience like?

Matt: My first show with them was at a huge stadium - 175,000 people. I had played big gigs with The Cult in the late '80s but this was something else. I remember Axl had his guy call me at the hotel right before the gig, "Matt, Axl would like you to do a drum solo tonight." So I thought, "Okay, I'm going to do a drum solo in front of 175,000 people! I'm in Brazil, they love drums. If I get into more of a rhythmic, group participation sort of thing, it'll be effective."

So Axl introduced me as the new guy - "The Assassin," he called me - and all of a sudden about fifty spotlights hit me. I launched into every drum solo lick I ever knew. Fifteen minutes later, I was still going - the sound, the PA, the people made it seem so surreal. I thought about when I saw John Bonham at the Forum and all the great drummers and drum solos I'd seen back in the day.

I remember kicking quarter notes on the bass drum, standing up and clapping my hands - and there were 175,000 people's arms up in the air clapping with me. They kept clapping, so I soloed to that. Then I kicked the band into "You Can Be Mine," which had that big drum intro. We did two nights, and the second night I soloed even longer. I remember looking over to the side of the stage and Axl was standing there, ready to come back on, and I was thinking, Hey man, you can wait. I soloed every night after that.

http://www.snakepit.org/mattmdint.txt

:lol::facepalm:

Edited by Blackstar

4 hours ago, ManetsBR said:

Frank is awful. He has no idea what the vibes of the songs are and he kills some very important momentuns. He plays everything the same way.

Steven was the right choice from the beggining, and Axl made good choices with Freese and Brain, but both Sorum and Frank were terrible picks.

Though I think Sorum had improved a lot by the time of Contraband.

So no credit for what Sorum contributed to original Guns N' Roses recorded music?

To beat a dead horse, Sorum is more competent and versatile.  With Velvet Revolver, in my opinion, he also contributed important and effective backing vocals.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rendestroi95 said:

same with this intro

Completely killed the "surprise" element of the song and confused the hell out of everybody :lol:

Kinda how they intro Welcome to the Jungle since 2000. Can't bag on this YCBM intro and not bag on the Jungle intro. 

This is a very trivial topic and not relevant at all to GNR and the overall impact that Sorum contributed to the band 

It's like picking out one fucking small detail of a grandiose masterpiece to fling shit and be bitter 

I think the OP must have some sort of hidden agenda here or is just being a typical back seat quarterback 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

23 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Frank the BUTCHER Ferrer is excriuciating to hear on gems such as estranged and november rain, you could be mine, rocket queen etc 

I'm personally a lot more concerned with Axl's performance on those songs than I am with the drummer's.

23 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Frank the BUTCHER Ferrer is excriuciating to hear on gems such as estranged and november rain, you could be mine, rocket queen etc 

I'm personally a lot more concerned with Axl's performance on those songs than I am with the drummer's.

• Like 1