What the hell was he thinking? (Sorum Drum Solo)

2 minutes ago, Asia said:

I'm even more curious what they all were thinking when they came up with the idea of drum solos, it's just so sensless and such an incredible bore...

I liked Brains drum solos

6 minutes ago, Asia said:

I'm even more curious what they all were thinking when they came up with the idea of drum solos, it's just so sensless and such an incredible bore...

Well, not for everyone.

For Duff and Slash it probably came in handy so they had time to fill up on something or other, and Axl had time for his ridiculous costume changes.

30 minutes ago, Asia said:

It gives the rest of the band a chance to take a piss, rest whatever.  Same goes for when Slash, Duff, Dizzy do their thing.

Better than an intermission.

In saying that, very ordinary drum solo, but that's how it was in the day before drumming continued to evolve.

hahahahahaha!  makes me laugh too!  I forgot (blocked out?) his head bunting the big cymbal shtick.

Do that enough times and you end up going to the barber and saying "Id like the poodle cut please"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sith Lord said:

I remember Matt saying that Axl told him to do a drum solo at the last second.

Does that justify you banging your head against a cymbal? Or maybe he just couldn't believe he was in guns.

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Do that enough times and you end up going to the barber and saying "Id like the poodle cut please"

loled

4 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

BUDDY SORUM IS BADLY NEEDED ON THIS TOUR NOW 

I would go as far as to say that he is more needed than izzy now 

Frank the BUTCHER Ferrer is excriuciating to hear on gems such as estranged and november rain, you could be mine, rocket queen etc 

SORUM alone is making me appreciate some of the studio and illuision concert era recordings even more now when I listen to them - I can't believe Axl has completely sold out his musical integrity so that he can save money by paying the butcher $900 bucks a night and a couple flaps of yay to boot 

"Frank the butcher".   LOL.   

• Like 2

As a drummer, I agree with the general consensus here - drum solos suck. But yea, I've heard the story where he says Axl told him to do a solo at the last minute, so I assume that stuff at the end is him going "fuck, he's still not back on stage, what now!?"

(Godsmack put on a hell of a drum solo though)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 98izzark said:

I liked Steven's 

It was a lot shorter and definitely better. Sorum's just never ended. But all in all no solos are definitely the best option. Even Slash's is boring, except when he plays godfather or some blues that actually has melody.

I remember Izzy saying in an interview how boring that idea of a drum solo was, he wanted the band to play covers when Axl was offstage but the band was too wasted to learn anything. 

Well where are you now Izzy?? they play tons of covers!!! looooooool

• Like 1