Axl & his "Appetite"

Original

27 minutes ago, Original said:

Remember his hunger....when did he lose it?   I love the Illusions as they kick ass.  But this Axl was so hungry.   Somewhere during the UYI tour he went full on nuts.  Wonder if today's Axl ever watches this stuff- 

He didn't lose his drive I think he started questioning if he was doing it with the right people..not necessarily band members but managers, girlfriend, and yea the band being messed up like they were hurt his drive and led him to question if he was in the right situation. 

I think Stephenie was the thing after Illusions released that sent him to a bad place for a while 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

And he went nuts after he interviewed with Rolling Stones about abuse and felt the reaction turned him into the bad guy not the victim.. after that and some of his spiritual readings he was really f'd up. 

Agree

1 hour ago, Original said:

Remember his hunger....when did he lose it?   I love the Illusions as they kick ass.  But this Axl was so hungry.   Somewhere during the UYI tour he went full on nuts.  Wonder if today's Axl ever watches this stuff- 

axl was never the same onstage after 1991

in 1992 he was unrecognizable

• Like 1

Oh this again...

My post from one of the other times it was brought up:

-------

In a later interview (I can't find it now), Axl said that this phrase was misunderstood. He didn't mean that he didn't like AFD and its music style anymore, but that he didn't want GnR to be an one good album band; moreover radio DJs were saying that they were bored having to play the same AFD songs, so the band had to move on and do something new.

Also these bits from other 1989 interviews:

....Aren't you afraid that some people may be turned off by the band straying from the sound that got them on top?

- We're not getting away from hard rock. Our basic root is hard rock, a bit heavier than the Stones, more in a vein like Aerosmith, Draw the Line- type stuff. We love loud guitars.

The most important songs at this point are the ones with piano, the ballads, because we haven't really explored that side of the band yet. They're also the most difficult songs to do - not difficult to play, but to write and pull out of ourselves. The beautiful music is what really makes me feel like an artist. The other, heavier stuff also makes me feel like an artist and can be difficult to write.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=3

...We want to define ourselves. Appetite was a cornerstone, a place to start. That was like ‘Here’s our land, and we just put a stake in the ground. Now we’re going to build something.

http://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-i-ii-album-anniversary/

And this from 1992:

HP: As you look back on the Use Your Illusion albums with a little perspective, are you still glad that you released so much material at one time?
AXL: Slash and I were just discussing that this morning, and there’s no way we regret it. We’re very proud of what we’ve done. We had planned on doing that even before we had done our first album. We didn’t know that it would include quite as many songs, but we knew we had to bury Appetite in some way. There was no way to out-do that album, and if we didn’t out-do Appetite in one way or another it was going to take away from our success and the amount of power we had gained to do what we wanted.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=146

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Looks to me like the fat fuck has been satisfying his appetite just fine!!!

WOCKA WOCKA!!!

3 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Entered thread expecting it to be about his weight. Lol

2 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Me three

I did the weight gag last night and my post has disappeared. WTF!? :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maynard said:

Wonder what happened to him in 2011. He's been on a decline since then. Reunion is 10 years too late.

Painkiller addictions, mental illnesses, countless lawsuits, the Chinese Democracy debacle, the most frightening thing it seems like he will never be able to manage his own life or his own band with Team Brazil around him.

That's the guy that called Slash a cancer, but acted nothing like him artistically and professionally. We're all fans of him and Guns N' Roses, and we are the ones who constantly pay the price. Two decades wasted because of mismanagement. That's the saddest thing.

• Like 1

So basically if Axl couldn't bury AFD in terms of quality, he would do it with quantity instead? Not much of plan.

Fast forward to 2017, and we have neither quality or quantity. Just live show after live show after tedious live show.

What a waste.

• 7 months later...
On 7/18/2017 at 9:39 PM, IncitingChaos said:

He didn't lose his drive I think he started questioning if he was doing it with the right people..not necessarily band members but managers, girlfriend, and yea the band being messed up like they were hurt his drive and led him to question if he was in the right situation. 

I think Stephenie was the thing after Illusions released that sent him to a bad place for a while 

I agree. From the earliest interviews, Axl talked about needing to have control. One can't have complete control over the future, but they can control who is a part of their future. I think Axl realized that. Also by the release of UYI it became evident that GnR was evolving away from AFD at least with the newer tracks on II and there was discourse among members on the new direction.