RIP Chester Bennington (Linkin Park / STP)

axlslash

6 hours ago, Bono said:

Chester dedicated this song and performance to the memory of Chris Cornell who died a day earlier. In my opinion it was a stunning and an incredibly heart felt and emotional tribute. 2 months later I'm sure millions of Linkin Park fans are using this song as a tribute to Chester himself. I was never a huge fan of Linkin park but I did like them and I know a lot of their songs changed a lot of people's lives and in many cases probably saved some lives. I know one girl in particular who meant a lot to me who had their songs on repeat for months during a time in her life where things could have gone incredibly similar for her. Songs with lyrics she absolutely loved and wanted me to listen to in an attempt to let me know how she's feeling.  People can say what they want about their music but their lyrics connected with a lot of people, especially young people on a deep and emotional level. It's sad to think these artists who give so much to people through their words and music aren't able to give that same gift to themselves in their darkest hours. Suicide is such a shitty, shitty thing.

Beautiful! Farewell, Chester, rock on with Chris!

• Like 1

The last album now sounds like he was saying goodbye to everyone. The lyrics, the song names. Good goodbye, Heavy, Talking To Myself, Invisible, One more light, Nobody Can Save Me, Battle Symphony...all songs with pretty much depressive lyrics including Sharp Edges, Halfway Right and Sorry For Now where lyrics goes...''Oh I'll be sorry for now, that I couldn't be around, there will be a day that you will understand''

Edited by danijel00

You can argue all day about whats going on in the head of someone who does this shit and where it stand morally but the fact is none of us know cept the ones who snuff it so we can none of us say one way or another.  Secondly, where it stands morally dont matter for shit cuz the cunts dead anyway, thats the whole idea of suicide, you get out of living and away from all things that apply to the living, one of em being morality.

That said its grim when any fucker dies before his time so RIP Ches', though i won't pretend I haven't thought all my life that your music was a bag of shite, that dont really matter when someones life goes, I mean its just entertainment end of the day innit, good or shite.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bono said:

My brother committed suicide. The thing people  don't realize or understand is that you can't start to rationalize it in a  way that suggests 'they should know better and think about their family". The reality is that's exactly what they are doing. People who commit suicide are not in the right frame of mind and quite often they are committing an act that in their minds is coming from a  place of love. You might think that sounds fucked up but they genuinely feel they have become a burden to those around them.  They feel the lives of those they care about would be better off without them. That's a fucked up mindset and to be in that place something has to be incredibly wrong. So to sit there and say it's selfish and they're not thinking about the effects it has on others just isn't true. They are thinking about all those things but in the depths of their despair they genuinely feel this is the only way out and it's the best for everyone.  It's something nobody can really judge or comment on until you've made the choice to end your own life as well. Then and only then will any of us truly understand what those who commit suicide are actually going through inside their minds. 

That was a good post, Bono. Really sorry for your loss.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, toroymoi said:

Again, that's how you view things from your own perspective and mindset. You have no idea what his inner demons were making him think and feel.

I was agreeing with you. I should have said "the act of ending your own life, in and of itself" is one size fits all.

13 hours ago, Bono said:

My brother committed suicide. The thing people  don't realize or understand is that you can't start to rationalize it in a  way that suggests 'they should know better and think about their family". The reality is that's exactly what they are doing. People who commit suicide are not in the right frame of mind and quite often they are committing an act that in their minds is coming from a  place of love. You might think that sounds fucked up but they genuinely feel they have become a burden to those around them.  They feel the lives of those they care about would be better off without them. That's a fucked up mindset and to be in that place something has to be incredibly wrong. So to sit there and say it's selfish and they're not thinking about the effects it has on others just isn't true. They are thinking about all those things but in the depths of their despair they genuinely feel this is the only way out and it's the best for everyone.  It's something nobody can really judge or comment on until you've made the choice to end your own life as well. Then and only then will any of us truly understand what those who commit suicide are actually going through inside their minds. 

You have my condolences dude. I know it is painful and I hope you have been able to cope with that. I've had family members take their own lives as well. My own brother offed himself slowly by becoming obese, mainly through booze. Everybody did their best to help him but in the end he chose his own vices over his family and his own kids. What he did has fucked them up over the past 20 years. His youngest did herself in by ODing because she never got over what he did. That's my brother, I love him but he is still a selfish son of a bitch for what he did. I had a cousin blow his brains out right in front of me when I was 21. I got mental issues of my own where the thoughts of suicide will intrude upon me, and I could be in the best mood of the day and that shit will happen. Even my ex-wife wished I would have killed myself. Read her note she left. In short I know very well about how people who are suicidal think. I've thought that it would be a huge favor for everyone around me if I decided to erase myself. I tried it twice and ended up being TDO in psych wards for long amounts of time. Anyways, we are going to have to agree to disagree and not go around the mulberry bush with this conversation. I wish all of you well and if someone here is contemplating please seek help. Dark days do not last forever.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

I was agreeing with you. I should have said "the act of ending your own life, in and of itself" is one size fits all.

You have my condolences dude. I know it is painful and I hope you have been able to cope with that. I've had family members take their own lives as well. My own brother offed himself slowly by becoming obese, mainly through booze. Everybody did their best to help him but in the end he chose his own vices over his family and his own kids. What he did has fucked them up over the past 20 years. His youngest did herself in by ODing because she never got over what he did. That's my brother, I love him but he is still a selfish son of a bitch for what he did. I had a cousin blow his brains out right in front of me when I was 21. I got mental issues of my own where the thoughts of suicide will intrude upon me, and I could be in the best mood of the day and that shit will happen. Even my ex-wife wished I would have killed myself. Read her note she left. In short I know very well about how people who are suicidal think. I've thought that it would be a huge favor for everyone around me if I decided to erase myself. I tried it twice and ended up being TDO in psych wards for long amounts of time. Anyways, we are going to have to agree to disagree and not go around the mulberry bush with this conversation. I wish all of you well and if someone here is contemplating please seek help. Dark days do not last forever.

Well, if you tried twice, you could be one of those "bitches" yourself now. Shouldn't this make you very careful to judge those people in the way you did? Don't take it personally, but to me that's very contradictory.

Edited by Zurimor

I wish people would stop all the hating with Chester's wife.

This is a terrible time for his wife and family and friends.

Still to this day many people don't understand how terrible a person with depression feels. You can't function. The pain is so unbearable at times you just want it to end. It's not right to commit suicide, but we don't know other people's pain or how they are feeling at that time.

It's just so damn sad. No other word for it. A terrible loss for Chester's family, friends, bandmates and all his fans.

It sucks no matter how you put it.

I just feel terrible about this tragic event. Having met Chester, I feel so sad that he is gone forever.

Yes, the music will live on forever, but Chester's death will be felt for a long time too.

I wish his family the strength to carry on and remember Chester for the person his was to them.

RIP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I wish people would stop all the hating with Chester's wife.

This is a terrible time for his wife and family and friends.

Still to this day many people don't understand how terrible a person with depression feels. You can't function. The pain is so unbearable at times you just want it to end. It's not right to commit suicide, but we don't know other people's pain or how they are feeling at that time.

It's just so damn sad. No other word for it. A terrible loss for Chester's family, friends, bandmates and all his fans.

It sucks no matter how you put it.

I just feel terrible about this tragic event. Having met Chester, I feel so sad that he is gone forever.

Yes, the music will live on forever, but Chester's death will be felt for a long time too.

I wish his family the strength to carry on and remember Chester for the person his was to them.

RIP

i totally agree with ALL this. if you have cancer, or some other disease people treat you decently. but there are SO many people who don't even try and understand what depression or any other mental illness does to a person. it makes me sick. and the ones who say oh he was famous he had money he had no reason to kill himself i will quote this:

“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

written by Helen Keller.

and one more....

Matthew 7:1-3King James Version (KJV)

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

On 7/20/2017 at 8:45 PM, Bono said:

mental illness is a stigma for a lot of people. i believe people who have a legitimate illness get to a point where they truly think they are a burden to their families and friends and suicide is the only solution. the brain is the most complex organ; doctors have said they are only at the tip of the iceberg in understanding it.

• Like 3

Well, my grandmother was bi polar and it took years to diagnose her because it wasn't known back in the 50's and 60's. she was on lithium for years, but still some people called her crazy.

it sucks how people can't understand how much mental illness hurts as much as any physical pain a person may have.

Chester was abused as a child and was a heroin addict and did other drugs. It's hard to get over something like this especially when it happens to a child.

The pain Chester was in was as real as any physical illness. It still pains me to think about this.

having suffered from depression myself, I know how helpless you can feel and how alone. It makes me so sad to think that's exactly how Chester felt. Death is a part of life, but when you lost someone to suicide it's just too shocking and painful for all.

I know I never knew Chester as a friend, but his voice and Linkin Park's music touched me in so many was growing up. They were and are a huge part of my life and I will miss that always.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

mental illness is a stigma for a lot of people. i believe people who have a legitimate illness get to a point where they truly think they are a burden to their families and friends and suicide is the only solution. the brain is the most complex organ; doctors have said they are only at the tip of the iceberg in understanding it.

You are so right about that. Like I said bi polar wasn't known back in the 60's. My grandmother would be so depressed and they would give her anti depressants which would help for a bit but then she would get depressed all over again.  My mom and uncle would feel so helpless just watching her cry all the time. Mental illness takes it toll on the patient and all those around them.

We must try to understand and support people who suffer from mental illness. It's just so sad that someone has to commit suicide for some people to realize how painful and real it is.

• Like 4

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎21 at 4:47 PM, Zurimor said:

Well, if you tried twice, you could be one of those "bitches" yourself now. Shouldn't this make you very careful to judge those people in the way you did? Don't take it personally, but to me that's very contradictory.

Wow. I think this was very cruel, to try and "call out" someone who has obviously struggled very deeply with this issue. Just a very unnecessary comment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Wow. I think this was very cruel, to try and "call out" someone who has obviously struggled very deeply with this issue. Just a very unnecessary comment.

OMG why would someone say something so horrible to another person.

Committing suicide is not an easy decision. Can you imagine the pain a person has to be to want to just end it all?  I know my grandmother went through that kind of pain.

Mental illness is not anything to laugh about. It's a serious illness that causes actual physical pain to the person who has it.

We as human beings need to learn compassion. This is what the problem is in today's word. No one wants to help people who are in such pain.

Hope whoever made that comment never experiences it first hand.

Still so bummed about Chester's death. Still wish we could all re-wind the clock and change things.