RIP Chester Bennington (Linkin Park / STP)

axlslash

The ancient Romans and the Japanese Samurai class used to see ending one's life as a perfectly acceptable thing to do in cases of dishonour  or physical impairment. Not that I'm saying this lead singer was the noblest of republicans, ending his life through disembowelment with Caesar's legions banging on the door, but I'm simply saying that it seems to be a thoroughly modern mindset which finds suicide so completely repellent. Witness governmental squeamishness against euthanasia when we would treat a dog with more dignity. I agree incidentally that to condemn a man who resorts to such an extremity - ''cowardice...leaving one's family'' - is poor form, and some what misses the point entirely, i.e., ''why do you commit suicide and are so irrationally, leaving your loved ones?''. (Clue, because he is suicidal and irrational).

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

OMG why would someone say something so horrible to another person.

Committing suicide is not an easy decision. Can you imagine the pain a person has to be to want to just end it all?  I know my grandmother went through that kind of pain.

Mental illness is not anything to laugh about. It's a serious illness that causes actual physical pain to the person who has it.

We as human beings need to learn compassion. This is what the problem is in today's word. No one wants to help people who are in such pain.

Hope whoever made that comment never experiences it first hand.

Still so bummed about Chester's death. Still wish we could all re-wind the clock and change things.

I really feel like I have to react in this thread one more time now, allthough I really didn't want to do this.

You know, it's not that I disrespect any person's struggle or anything like that, I had quite some hard times myself, depression, etc, I exactly know how you can feel, but if I tried to commit suicide myself, it would never ever occur to me to call other people, which were actually successful at it "cunt", "bitch" or anything like that. This was actually shocking to me and I had to say something about it. Couldn't just ignore it and move on, that wouldn't have felt right. Hope this is understandable.

Someone verbalised mental illness to me in a way that I think makes a lot of sense.

Say you have some type of infection in your arm (like gangrene), and you can't cure it. The solution? Cutting your arm off.

So imagine mental illness as though you have gangrene in your brain, what would those with it see as the solution? 

No one's saying it has to make sense to others, but for those suffering, it's a clear answer.

Edited by toroymoi

On 7/23/2017 at 3:03 PM, DieselDaisy said:

The ancient Romans and the Japanese Samurai class used to see ending one's life as a perfectly acceptable thing to do in cases of dishonour  or physical impairment. Not that I'm saying this lead singer was the noblest of republicans, ending his life through disembowelment with Caesar's legions banging on the door, but I'm simply saying that it seems to be a thoroughly modern mindset which finds suicide so completely repellent. Witness governmental squeamishness against euthanasia when we would treat a dog with more dignity. I agree incidentally that to condemn a man who resorts to such an extremity - ''cowardice...leaving one's family'' - is poor form, and some what misses the point entirely, i.e., ''why do you commit suicide and are so irrationally, leaving your loved ones?''. (Clue, because he is suicidal and irrational).

How'd things work out for the old "ancient Romans and Japanese Samuri's"? 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rome lasted 1229 years, and the Samurai held power for c.1000 years.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rome lasted 1229 years, and the Samurai held power for c.1000 years.

I was being tongue in cheek.   Just stupid humor.  I'll get back to the GnR talk.  

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, toroymoi said:

Someone verbalised mental illness to me in a way that I think makes a lot of sense.

Say you have some type of infection in your arm (like gangrene), and you can't cure it. The solution? Cutting your arm off.

So imagine mental illness as though you have gangrene in your brain, what would those with it see as the solution? 

No one's saying it has to make sense to others, but for those suffering, it's a clear answer.

Yes, a good example. My grandmother suffered from depression for years until she was told she was bi polar. She used to say when she was depressed she wanted to die. My mom and uncle and grandfather would gather around her and cry with her. Mental illness cannot be explained unless you've experienced it for yourself.

You can't judge anyone for taking their life. The mental pain becomes so terrible you just want it to stop anyway you can.

It's just very sad to lose someone, no matter how they die.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

It's just very sad to lose someone, no matter how they die.

yes it is...just been through a LOT of anniversaries of family deaths these last few months and being prescribed a drug that was totally wrong for my panic disorder and my PTSD was not helpful. 

and trying to explain it to people who have no experience with this has been very hard because it's like @toroymoi said in a way. if people can't SEE something you get a lot of doubters. so if i had an arm cut off they'd believe there was something wrong but because there is no outside PROOF too many people just say oh get over yourself. i had my HORRID ex step mother actually say this to me. then when one of HER kids started having panic attacks all of sudden she was a believer. :facepalm:

Yesterday Chester was laid to rest.

This still saddens me to think that sweet man will never sing again.

Linkin Park's music will live on and so will Chester.

I still can't believe he's gone. Another life gone too soon. I hope he's found the peace he deserves. I hope his family finds the strength to always remember Chester's good intentions.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yes it is...just been through a LOT of anniversaries of family deaths these last few months and being prescribed a drug that was totally wrong for my panic disorder and my PTSD was not helpful. 

and trying to explain it to people who have no experience with this has been very hard because it's like @toroymoi said in a way. if people can't SEE something you get a lot of doubters. so if i had an arm cut off they'd believe there was something wrong but because there is no outside PROOF too many people just say oh get over yourself. i had my HORRID ex step mother actually say this to me. then when one of HER kids started having panic attacks all of sudden she was a believer. :facepalm:

With every one I've lost, I loss a piece of myself you NEVER get back again.  Everyone mourns their own way. You never get over anyone's death. You just find a way to live with it. Some days are better than others, same with memories.

I still hate that my loved ones are not with me anymore. My memories are bittersweet now and holidays get harder every year.

Some people can get overit, others can't and no one has the right to tell you any different.

Our lives are forever changed by the people we have lost. We just learn to cope and go on for those left behind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

With every one I've lost, I loss a piece of myself you NEVER get back again.  Everyone mourns their own way. You never get over anyone's death. You just find a way to live with it. Some days are better than others, same with memories.

I still hate that my loved ones are not with me anymore. My memories are bittersweet now and holidays get harder every year.

Some people can get overit, others can't and no one has the right to tell you any different.

Our lives are forever changed by the people we have lost. We just learn to cope and go on for those left behind.

every word you wrote is spot on. great post. sorry for your losses...may they all rest in peace.