Was a suit ever filed over this WTTJ ripoff?

It's super blatant.  I never heard anything about it though, seems impossible there was no suit.

This was WCW, owned by Ted Turner, so there was a lot of money there.

It seems like it would have been a slamdunk, he used WTTJ itself earlier in his career, so he clearly liked the song...  "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N' Roses (WCW; June 25, 1989 – March 4, 1990 / SMW; October 7, 1993 – October 10, 1993 / ECW; July 28, 1995 – September 23, 1995; used as a member of The Steiner Brothers)

Wow, just googled those.  I don't understand how there wasn't tons of lawsuits.  Perry Saturn had Beautiful People...

With all the suits over the years, I'm shocked this never happened.

Edited by DeadSlash

14 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

It's super blatant.  I never heard anything about it though, seems impossible there was no suit.

This was WCW, owned by Ted Turner, so there was a lot of money there.

It seems like it would have been a slamdunk, he used WTTJ itself earlier in his career, so he clearly liked the song...  "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N' Roses (WCW; June 25, 1989 – March 4, 1990 / SMW; October 7, 1993 – October 10, 1993 / ECW; July 28, 1995 – September 23, 1995; used as a member of The Steiner Brothers)

God, I hate wrestling. 

• Like 2

As far as I know, you can't sue for a soundalike. They are professionally made to have enough notes changed to avoid copyright infringement, yet at the same time still sounding familiar enough.

A few times music by big bands was used both in WCW (Megadeth's Creush 'Em) or WWE (Tatu's All The Things She Said, Limp Bizkit's Rollin', etc), but it was completely legal and everything was cleared and paid for.

ECW was a totally different story. They were a small (but growing) company back then and their boss Paul Heyman admitted they were up to a lot of sketchy stuff back in the days, entrance themes included. They used tons of copyrighted music, including GNR and Metallica's Enter Sandman, and they didn't ever pay a cent for it. He said they were ""smart enough"" not to put the music straight into the audio feed of their televised shows. Basically, the music was played through the arena sound system and you could hear it on tv because the mics picked it up, not because they actually run it through their audio feed. That said, I don't think they were even paying to legally play it in the arena, lol.

Anyway, the company is long gone. Fled for bankruptcy in 2001 and the trademark and the old video library is owned by WWE now. And when WWE upped old ECW episodes on their network, all the copyrighted music was edited out.