Are we too hard on Guns?

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

Also, the last show I went to, Nijmegen, people around me seemed pleasantly surprised at BHS. Outside of us on the forum, people have no idea they do BHS and it gets a good reception.

We have a completely different perspective, because we've known for 6 weeks already they do that, but for 99% of the people there, it's a nice surprise.

I agree.

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

You're probably right. I agree with the others they should swap it out now though.

I was surprised they kept on playing it, only expected it the once but the song/Chris obviously meant more to Axl than anyone realised.

11 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Just because Foo Fighters do this or Red Hot Chili Peppers do that, it doesn't mean people should expect it of GN'R. 

I don't think most people necessarily compare them to other bands, everyone knows GnR (or Axl) is a one of a kind. But there are dead people releasing way more music than Axl, who is presumably always working on music, and you think it's strange that fans express their disappointment in that?

Very few, really, put out truly high quality work over a long period of time, obviously there are a few exceptions.

I guess it's subjective, but there are more than a few exceptions. You don't know a lot of great bands/artists if you really believe that. Go check out some more music.

Some bands burn bright for a short period of time and that's it

Yeah, and then they break up, but that's the thing... Axl kept this GnR name alive and what does he have to show for it in all those years? One album and some tours where he played mostly very old songs? It's great if you're happy with that, but it's not unfair that other people are disappointed and express their opinion. You surely understand that.

Again though, if it doesn't, is it really going to affect my life negatively in any way? No, of course not. 

I don't think there's anyone who takes it all that seriously, except for maybe a few. Doesn't mean you can't be critical.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I never said Chris was Axl's best friend, I said he was probably one of his favourite artists and that will be the reason he keeps playing it. It's not that hard to read between the lines.

Since when Cornell is one of his favorite artist? We've seen Axl with Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Freddie Mercury tribute/Brian May, Sebastian Bach. When Chris Cornell invited Axl to anything or care about him? 

4 minutes ago, Padme said:

Since when Cornell is one of his favorite artist? We've seen Axl with Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Freddie Mercury tribute/Brian May, Sebastian Bach. When Chris Cornell invited Axl to anything or care about him? 

You asked why they keep playing Black Hole Sun and I gave you my thoughts as to why.

Just now, bucketfoot said:

You asked why they keep playing Black Hole Sun and I gave you my thoughts as to why.

And I told you it was good for them to pay a tribute to Cornell. But not to keep playing the song every show. On the other hand Whole Lotta Rosie makes sense because of Axl's relationship with Angus and AC/DC.

1 hour ago, Padme said:

That is not an answer. I think it is pretty obvious why people complain about the set list. Give us a good reason why BHS is being played every show. While better known and popular GN'R are being swap around. 

because they maybe fucking enjoy playing that song? How self righteous and egoistic do you have to be to not get that. They don't have to fucking please you, you get that, right?

I just dont get it how people can get so butthurt about them playing one song they don't like. Is that really worth it getting so frustrated about? Seriously. It doesnt sound very healthy to me.

Edited by xBrownstonex

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

And I told you it was good for them to pay a tribute to Cornell. But not to keep playing the song every show. On the other hand Whole Lotta Rosie makes sense because of Axl's relationship with Angus and AC/DC.

I think you're missing the point. I'm saying the song/Chris probably meant more to Axl than you will ever realise. A personal thing.

Just now, bucketfoot said:

I think you're missing the point. I'm saying the song/Chris probably meant more to Axl than you will ever realise. A personal thing.

But as long the forum member padme doesn't like that song being played, axl doesnt have the right to play it. Simple as that

8 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

They don't have to fucking please you, you get that, right?

A lot of people don't, it seems. :lol:

Just now, xBrownstonex said:

But as long the forum member padme doesn't like that song being played, axl doesnt have the right to play it. Simple as that

:lol:

2 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

A lot of people don't, it seems. :lol:

No, because its this sickness of this generation, that not until everything is being done according how people want it, these people will never get some satisfaction. It's never enough, there's always something.... and even if its one of a gazillion fukcing songs per show, that they dont like.

Edited by xBrownstonex
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, xBrownstonex said:

No, because its this sickness of this generation, that not until everything is being done according how people want it, these people will never get some satisfaction. It's never enough, there's always something.... and even if its one of a gazillion fukcing songs per show, that they dont like.

Out of likes but.... yeah, nailed it.

5 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Its not. But when people start demanding satisfying answers to their problems ("why are they playing bhs? The fact that they might like the song isn't enough. I need a different reason"), then i have to ask them what's wrong

GNR doesn't exist in a vacuum though. They can do whatever they want and conversely people will have an opinion on it.

I totally agree that clogging up show threads with repetitive complaints gets tedious and we do try to minimise that to some extent. But the logical conclusion to GNR can do what they like and we have to accept it without question is that we could go to a show one day, find half the setlist is Justin Bieber covers and have to like it. :lol: I'm being facetious of course but there has to be some wiggle room in discourse for differing opinions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alfierose said:

GNR doesn't exist in a vacuum though. They can do whatever they want and conversely people will have an opinion on it.

I totally agree that clogging up show threads with repetitive complaints gets tedious and we do try to minimise that to some extent. But the logical conclusion to GNR can do what they like and we have to accept it without question is that we could go to a show one day, find half the setlist is Justin Bieber covers and have to like it. :lol: I'm being facetious of course but there has to be some wiggle room in discourse for differing opinions.

I don't disagree. Just like people can voice theire disbelief about people moaning about everything. its' a vicious circle that can only be broken, if gnr play every song they have and know at every show and axl will go to a time machine and bring the 88-Axl back ;)

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Besides @xBrownstonex you got to go to like 5 shows so you really have nothing to complain about you entitled prick! :lol:

Hey, it was 9, ok? (saw 4 last year) ;-P

58 minutes ago, Padme said:

And because it's part of the GNR lore since the very beginning. Unlike BHS, really...