Are we too hard on Guns?

27 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Its not. But when people start demanding satisfying answers to their problems ("why are they playing bhs? The fact that they might like the song isn't enough. I need a different reason"), then i have to ask them what's wrong

I don't think anyone is demanding anything, though. Just like people like me that are bitching about lack of new music... I'm not demanding anything, that wouldn't even make sense. But guess what, this is a GnR forum, so people express opinions and sometimes it's positive and sometimes negative. Often it's negative because there's a lot to be critical of, and that's alright too... but then you have people criticizing the people that are critical and that goes on here all the time like a vicious circle. But that should be ok too, some people just love to argue about their favourite band, as long as they keep it civil.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Because it's obviously a very personal song to Axl and he feels the need to keep playing it as a tribute to Chris since he died? Maybe it's one of his favourite songs and Chris was one of his favourite artists? Ever thought that?

good point. btw i now really understand how devastating the loss of Chris was to you. i feel it now with the passing of Chester Bennington. of course i loved Chris and his voice was magnificent but there was something about Chester's voice that really got to me. hope you're doing better...i went to twitter late last night and the first tweet was about Chester. this one hurts bad for me...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

good point. btw i now really understand how devastating the loss of Chris was to you. i feel it now with the passing of Chester Bennington. of course i loved Chris and his voice was magnificent but there was something about Chester's voice that really got to me. hope you're doing better...i went to twitter late last night and the first tweet was about Chester. this one hurts bad for me...

Thank you. It's always gut wrenching when one of your favourite musicians goes and, yeah. it was for me with Chris and although I wasn't ever a massive Linkin Park fan, I understand how fans of Chester will be feeling now. He was very talented and had a spectacular voice and also seemed like a great guy. I hope you feel better too as time goes by. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

because they maybe fucking enjoy playing that song? How self righteous and egoistic do you have to be to not get that. They don't have to fucking please you, you get that, right?

I just dont get it how people can get so butthurt about them playing one song they don't like. Is that really worth it getting so frustrated about? Seriously. It doesnt sound very healthy to me.

And here you are getting butthurt over someone's opinion :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

I think you're missing the point. I'm saying the song/Chris probably meant more to Axl than you will ever realise. A personal thing.

I understand what you are saying. But just because Axl might like  the song and it means a lot to him. That doesn't mean I must like the song. If in the St. Louis show they play some Tom Jones song. Do I have to be happy they play that song just because the song means a lot to Axl? 

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

I understand what you are saying. But just because Axl might like  the song and it means a lot to him. That doesn't mean I must like the song.

Of course not. You don't like it, that's fine, but you were asking why they were still playing it and I think that's probably the most likely reason, I may be wrong. I would imagine they'll drop it at some point but it's obviously something Axl still feels he needs/wants to play atm.

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

If in the St. Louis show they play some Tom Jones song. Do I have to be happy they play that song

Yes... it's Tom. :lol:

Tom-_Jones-765116.jpg

4 hours ago, Padme said:

Since when Cornell is one of his favorite artist? We've seen Axl with Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Freddie Mercury tribute/Brian May, Sebastian Bach. When Chris Cornell invited Axl to anything or care about him? 

Axl was asked in an interview who his favourite singers were and he replied "Frank Sinatra and Chris Cornell".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Axl was asked in an interview who his favourite singers were and he replied "Frank Sinatra and Chris Cornell".

He can play all the songs from all his favorite singers if that makes him happy. However that's not my cup of tea. So from now on I'm just staying away from future shows

Edited by Padme

4 hours ago, Padme said:

I understand what you are saying. But just because Axl might like  the song and it means a lot to him. That doesn't mean I must like the song. If in the St. Louis show they play some Tom Jones song. Do I have to be happy they play that song just because the song means a lot to Axl? 

And here you're forgetting that to many musicians their music is kind of a self therapy. Maybe it just helps him singing this song again and again and to express his own admiration for Chris. Maybe it helps him to cope better with Chris' sudden death, whcih most definitely was quite a slap in the face to him. You know, those guys on stage have feelings, just like yourself! I know, hard to imagine, but it's true!

Edited by Zurimor

10 minutes ago, Bono said:

It's hilarious to see people who can't for the life of them understand why others criticize the setlist. You go to a Guns N' Roses show to see and hear Guns N Roses ye.... of the 30 songs played at the last show we got 

The Seeker
Black Hole Sun
Whole Lotta Rosie
Layla
Wish You Were Here
God Father Theme
Attitude
**Live and Let Die
**Knockin On Heaven's Door

Nearly 1/3 of the show was cover songs plus 4 CD songs while songs like Pretty Tied Up, Think About You, Out Ta Get Me, Dead Horse, Anything Goes etc sit by the way side and songs like Don't Damn Me, Locomotive and Breakdown have never been played period(Maybe Breakdown was played once)

It's fairly obvious and deservedly so why people have issue with the set list. I mean  why not let Duff sing So Fine one time. At least it's a GnR song. People don't want to bitch about things but the lack of effort by the band to do something exciting or throw fans something different is lame. And before the peanut gallery starts preaching "Everybody at the shows has a great time". No fucking shit. Being there in person is always a great time. That doesn't mean people can't have an opinion about the set list. 

Yeah I agree about the covers. Overall, its a great set with a lot of variety but there are SO MANY covers. God damn, its insane

• Like 1

I'm Still mad that You're Crazy which has a similar sound to the beginning of Seeker has not been played...I love the Seeker, but cmon how has You're Crazy stayed buried all this time?

overall you can never be too hard on gnr. They have shit on fans for over two decades...and here we are waiting for more. It's a sad cycle. If they weren't so god damn talented I'd hope they all go bankrupt and reside in a homeless shelter. However I still see potential in any lineup with Axl...now that Slash is in I'm more optimistic but also know we are playing on Axl's time and his rules.

What it all comes down to is a lack of material from all ends of this band. 

-last two creative albums released in 08 &91

-only two official live dvd's/bluray/VHS 

-terrible fan website

-terrible vip passes for tours 

there's so much more they could do with the fan base they have

i don't care if you never want to release another album, but how about you start putting some old concerts on your YouTube channel. I'd even pay for them. But at the end of the day the fan base is alive, the band has just been unresponsive.

ill give them an A+ on touring though. They got that down 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/07/2017 at 7:33 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah I agree about the covers. Overall, its a great set with a lot of variety but there are SO MANY covers. God damn, its insane

i wouldnt have a problem with covers if they were to pick 5 or 8 covers every night from a pool of 20 or 30 or 40 different covers

(or do like pearl jam and play 500 diffferent covers in 25 years -- that would be awesome)

problem is that they play THE EXACT SAME COVERS every single night

axl is ozzying his way onstage for much too long now and whatever is left of GNR is kinda doing just the same

22 minutes ago, Ramaaj said:

I think we are too hard with them because they have waste the huge potential they had by various means, 
not everyone is top album for their first album ...

also it is worth mentioning that not everyone goes on such a downward spiral for 26 years!

It depends. There's certain areas where they deserve it and areas where they don't. I honestly feel that some people on here get their hopes up and then get angry despite the fact that they set themselves up for disappointment and then shit on the band for not doing what they wanted. 

With that said, if they're not going to release anything new, they should at least change the setlist up and release some stuff from the vault

• Like 2

On 7/22/2017 at 3:56 AM, Zurimor said:

What a bullshit, ask Slash, Duff, Steven about their drug usage, not even close to single-handedly. Also, the band members obviously had different ideas for the band, you could even say Axl evolved, the rest of the band did not (without any judgement). It's normal that ways do part if this happens in a band.

On topic, yes, many people are too harsh. If it were just for the money, they wouldn't need to do 3+ hours shows as you said. 2 hours or even 90 minutes would be enough. Seems like some GN'R fans have difficulties to appreciate what they have. ;)

Axl evolved? He evolved into shit. He "evolved" into trying to copy every trend that came out in the 90's. Admiring shitbags like Fed Durst.  Are you serious?  When you are as great as GNR, you do not need to "evolve". Besides, UY1 and 2 is the only "evolving" they needed to do.

Chinese Democracy is a joke of an album. Thank God the other members never "evolved". Imagine evolving into hiding and never releasing shit  lol

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 11:37 AM, Estranged Reality said:

How has he ruined the GN'R legacy?

All the people who complained during the Chinese Democracy era (or lack thereof at times...) wanted him to get back together with Slash, and that has happened. They're touring, they're putting on well-reviewed and well-attended shows. I get that die-hard fans want an album, or more variety in the set lists; but for the casual fan that the reunion tour is targeted toward, they're pretty much delivering exactly what anyone would want, and I think it's overall been handled quite well. I definitely sympathize at times with the idea of changing up the songs more and all that, but again, that's coming more from the perspective of a die-hard fan following all the shows and watching performances on YT, and the average person going to see them isn't going to care about that; they just want to hear SCOM, PC, WTTJ, etc. 

Get back together only if his voice was up to it, which it is not. Without Axl's voice this band is not what it is supposed to be. Just like it wouldn't be without Slash's guitar.  What we got now is the Slash show covering Guns n' Roses songs. Songs he couldn't play unless he got back together with Axl.. That is the bright spot in this tour:   SLASH.

and also Duff.

Edited by SWINGTRADER

20 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Axl evolved? He evolved into shit. He "evolved" into trying to copy every trend that came out in the 90's. Admiring shitbags like Fed Durst.  Are you serious?  When you are as great as GNR, you do not need to "evolve". Besides, UY1 and 2 is the only "evolving" they needed to do.

Chinese Democracy is a joke of an album. Thank God the other members never "evolved". Imagine evolving into hiding and never releasing shit  lol

I like CD and many others enjoy it, too. Your opinion doesn't apply to everyone. :)

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 1