RICHARD FORTUS Says 'Everyone Is Excited' About Possibility Of New Album

Fortus is great but people here will never accept it because he isnt Izzy. 

You may not like the song but you cant fuckin deny the great guitar lines he did here, touching. 

Oh, Dizzy did a great job too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Yep this guy won't ever write for Guns N' Roses.

It doesn't ring any bells. Generic as hell. We're talking about Guns N' Roses here. 

Better call Izzy.

Yeah - I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I gave all those Fortus songs posted here a chance and they're all super generic. The Dead Daisies song Yesterday has some good guitar work but nothing really worth fussing over - I just listened to the song and I can barely remember anything from it.

I mean he's a good player - the guy can obvious play, but so can any session guitarist with that many years of experience. I don't know how this translates into proof of Fortus being a worthy replacement for Izzy or contributing creatively to a legendary band. What exactly is this based on? Bumblefoot can play circles around Fortus and I don't want him anywhere near a GnR song. Playing ability does not really have anything to do with being a good fit for a band. Frank is a better drummer than Steven - would anyone seriously pick Frank over Steven as GnR's drummer?

You're talking about drafting a minor league player into the majors here without any real proof of songwriting chops. He was even marginalized on Chinese Democracy by Axl and that speaks volumes really. If Fortus was such an unbelievable talent, surely Axl would have had his playing featured more prominently against the likes of Bumble, Finck, and Bucket. Fortus is a better player than Finck - yet it's Finck who is all over Chinese Democracy. Just do the math people. If you like him as a touring member - cool. But you want him writing with Slash on the next album - the album that's following up Use your Illusion 1 and 2?:blink:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

"Some" people... the mullet fans stuck in the 80's only.

Richard Fortus is the Ronnie Wood of Guns N' Roses : not an original member but he is so good that he will stay in the band until the end. 

Perhaps you are correct as Ron Wood wasn't a patch on Brian Jones or Mick Taylor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Yeah - I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I gave all those Fortus songs posted here a chance and they're all super generic. The Dead Daisies song Yesterday has some good guitar work but nothing really worth fussing over - I just listened to the song and I can barely remember anything from it.

I mean he's a good player - the guy can obvious play, but so can any session guitarist with that many years of experience. I don't know how this translates into proof of Fortus being a worthy replacement for Izzy or contributing creatively to a legendary band. What exactly is this based on? Bumblefoot can play circles around Fortus and I don't want him anywhere near a GnR song. Playing ability does not really have anything to do with being a good fit for a band. Frank is a better drummer than Steven - would anyone seriously pick Frank over Steven as GnR's drummer?

You're talking about drafting a minor league player into the majors here without any real proof of songwriting chops. He was even marginalized on Chinese Democracy by Axl and that speaks volumes really. If Fortus was such an unbelievable talent, surely Axl would have had his playing featured more prominently against the likes of Bumble, Finck, and Bucket. Fortus is a better player than Finck - yet it's Finck who is all over Chinese Democracy. Just do the math people. If you like him as a touring member - cool. But you want him writing with Slash on the next album - the album that's following up Use your Illusion 1 and 2?:blink:

That was probably because  CD was almost finished when Richard joined GN'R. Even Bumble has zero songwriting credits and he played on basically every track.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

Seems very likely misquoted/manipulated/taken out of context- by his "hometown" paper no less. Gotta love the media.

Barring some unforeseen radical shift where the industry regains control of its content- I wager that economics dictates that if we ever see another physical release from the band- it will be a proper Best Of... collection with perhaps a couple reworked/"new" bonus tracks (e.g. "Atlas Shrugged"- that was at least at one time apparently meant to be on Chinese, etc.). In other words- a guaranteed performer- as the current GH (despite selling well) is viewed as lacking by most.

That said- I don't think Richard's lying at all in saying there's significant "stuff" lying around from the Chinese-era. Additionally- I am sure there is "stuff" the NITL line-up is generating messing around at soundcheck and on tour, etc. Without better industry conditions though- IMHO it's a bit like being the farmer with sacks upon sacks of seed- but no rain.

Just My opinion - I love Richard and his playing - I am "one of the mullet head guys from day" Richard is a rythmn player - he doesnt have to write anything but that -"hell I can rythmn on a album with SLASH and DUFF " Slash will handle all lead guitar parts if Richard throws in something cool but SLASH is a Riff MASTER HE DOESNT NEED ANY HELP - Dont worry about Fortus - if the album comes out it will have SLASH riffs and solos all over it - Duff will be thumping he is playing better than ever - SLASH can write a GNR album in his sleep - Fortus will be fine -It is the SLASH gig and always has been - no worries from me at all 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TMAC20 said:

Just My opinion - I love Richard and his playing - I am "one of the mullet head guys from day" Richard is a rythmn player - he doesnt have to write anything but that -"hell I can rythmn on a album with SLASH and DUFF " Slash will handle all lead guitar parts if Richard throws in something cool but SLASH is a Riff MASTER HE DOESNT NEED ANY HELP - Dont worry about Fortus - if the album comes out it will have SLASH riffs and solos all over it - Duff will be thumping he is playing better than ever - SLASH can write a GNR album in his sleep - Fortus will be fine -It is the SLASH gig and always has been - no worries from me at all 

NO.

Richard has been in the band for 15 years and he is as important as Slash in the band right now.

Listen to the bootlegs, we can hear him MASSIVELY. He guitar is as loud as Slash.

Richard is a key member of Guns N' Roses and will be until the end. get used to him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

NO.

Richard has been in the band for 15 years and he is as important as Slash in the band right now.

Listen to the bootlegs, we can hear him MASSIVELY. He guitar is as loud as Slash.

Richard is a key member of Guns N' Roses and will be until the end. get used to him.

Agree to completely disagree. 

• Like 2

You guys dont want Richard involved, alright but Izzy wont be involved too so... Who you'd put in his place? Who is this almighty player you'd put in Fortus place? Robin? As much as I like what he did on CD, he is no material for a real GNR album, the guy is clearly alternative/industrial/goth and no hard rock n' roll material.

Who is this music god you guys want in the band? Izzy will never return. Never.

• Like 2

Just now, default_ said:

You guys dont want Richard involved, alright but Izzy wont be involved too so... Who you'd put in his place? Who is this almighty player you'd put in Fortus place? Robin? As much as I like what he did on CD, he is no material for a real GNR album, the guy is clearly alternative/industrial/goth and no hard rock n' roll material.

Who is this music god you guys want in the band? Izzy will never return. Never.

The izzy fangirls will scratch your eyes out soon

8 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

The izzy fangirls will scratch your eyes out soon

I know, right? But watcha gonna do? I'd love Izzy to be in the band again, his songs are my favs but the guy clearly has issues that prevent him from being there and I'm not even talkin bout the loot, I think there are other issues... We all know Izzy isnt into touring, so theres that, the guy abandoned his own solo tour and never toured again... Did some shows with Axl and needed months to recover. Maybe GNR isnt that evil everyone likes to portrait.

We gotta be realistic so, who is this almight player people want in Fortus place?

Edited by default_

I don't understand the hope pinned on Izzy's return nor the fierce fan loyalty to him.  He chose not to return already.  That's it, end of story.  His mind is made up.  He tweeted his reason being money.  So unless Axl offers him whatever it is he's asking for, Izzy's not coming back.  He clearly doesn't want to reunite with the old band as much we want him to, or else it would have happened by now.  Richard, on the other hand, has committed himself for the past 15 years enduring the trials and tribulations that go with being in a band with Axl = good enough for me.  Don't get me wrong, I adore Izzy's work and what he brings to the GnR sound, but if he's not all that interested in playing his old role again, what can anyone do about it?  Except support the band with Richard, that's all anyone can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

Yes, which is why he's on salary, while Slash is taking the millions :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

NO.

Be honest with yourself, who would give a shit if fortus left tommorow? Would people stop going to shows? "no fortus no guns n roses" - no one ever. If Slash left this whole thing would come crumbling down.

You are in some kind of distorted reality with that assessment of the situation

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

NO.

"as important as slash" Come on now! He can be in the band 30 more years, but until a decent song is released, your statement is comical

No one's saying he is as important as Slash nor people would stop going on shows if he left nor he'd be the main composer or even compose at all if a new album is released.

Question is: Who is the almight guitarrist you'd chose to put in his place as Izzy is def not coming back? This is the question.

Cause Izzy is not coming back and if any of you think he will, you're clearly delusional after everything that happened in the past and last year.

Edited by default_