Teens watch a man drown

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You only have yourself to blame. I stay clear of anything like that.

Who else would I blame? I usually stay clear myself but I just wanted to see if they were as heartless as people were making them out to be. And they were.

It's awful, but that's "crowd" behaviour at it's absolute worst. Also known as "diffusion of responsibility" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility

In antisocial situations, negative behaviors are more likely to be carried out when the person is in a group of similarly motivated individuals. The behavior is driven by the deindividuating effects of group membership and the diffusion of feelings of personal responsibility for the consequences.[6] As part of this process, individuals become less self-aware and feel an increased sense of anonymity. As a result, they are less likely to feel responsible for any antisocial behavior performed by their group.

Had any one of those teenagers come across than man drowning by themselves, it's highly doubtful they would have exhibited the same behaviour. 

It's truly reprehensible. A duty to act or rescue is not really enshrined in criminal law outside of some European countries - it's a common law thing (derived from judgements in past cases) everywhere else.
I know in Australia it's been applied in the past, but only under very specific conditions (ie the bystander is a paramedic).

Fucked up, but it's much more common to have laws that protect "Good Samaritan" behaviour (so you can't get sued for helping someone in peril) than it is to have laws that require it.

7 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

Lack of empathy is one of the main traits of narcissists.

Millenials grew up with social media, sometimes being ignored by their parents, so is it really surprising that a large percentage of them are now full blown narcissists ?

At the same time, this video/story is similar to the plot of the final episode of the Seinfeld tv show.  Seinfeld was celebrated for its portrayal and satire of Generation X and the Boomers.  On Seinfeld the main characters video tape and mock as an overweight person is mugged right in front of them.  They are put on trial for this and then every character from all nine seasons who they've treated similarly is brought forward to testify.  This was the plot of one of the most watched episodes of TV, a show about Gen X.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 9:35 AM, soon said:

At the same time, this video/story is similar to the plot of the final episode of the Seinfeld tv show.  Seinfeld was celebrated for its portrayal and satire of Generation X and the Boomers.  On Seinfeld the main characters video tape and mock as an overweight person is mugged right in front of them.  They are put on trial for this and then every character from all nine seasons who they've treated similarly is brought forward to testify.  This was the plot of one of the most watched episodes of TV, a show about Gen X.

i thought of that Seinfeld episode as well. i just can't believe something like this really happened. it makes me so sad :(

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i thought of that Seinfeld episode as well. i just can't believe something like this really happened. it makes me so sad :(

Right, pretty similar?  if I remember right NY had just enacted the so called "Good Samaritan" act where people had to help.  I would advise against a google search then, definitely not the first of the type, even if it is an especially blunt example.

2 hours ago, soon said:

Right, pretty similar?  if I remember right NY had just enacted the so called "Good Samaritan" act where people had to help.  I would advise against a google search then, definitely not the first of the type, even if it is an especially blunt example.

yes, no google search on that for me :( just so heartbreaking...

• Like 1

This happened about 45 minutes from where I live in Florida....tragic and downright despicable.  Although there's a good chance the man may have not been able to be saved, there is no excuse for the way these kids acted...disgusting.   At the very least, they should have called 911.  And for them to videotape it, make fun of him while he was drowning and laugh about it afterwards... and even post the video days later... is utterly reprehensible. 

Some police are recommending charges against them....failure to report a death, which is a misdemeanor in the state of Florida....

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/26/us/florida-teens-charges-drowning-man/index.html

Although it would be a slap on the wrists, at least these hooligans would have something on their record so when they grow up and commit more crimes, maybe a judge will give them what they deserve.

And the parents of these kids should be taking a long look in the mirror as well....shame on them.