The Darkness talk about touring with Guns N' Roses

8 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

He said he loves the first album "Big Appetite". I wouldn't take anything said after that too seriously.

He's 100 percent taking the piss when he said big appetite (but, might even be a jibe about the big man's gut for all I know). If you follow the darkness or go to their shows he's always making very dry English jokes... That may or may not land. 

As for the rest of it, I assume they were put under restrictions... But I've never read or seen The darkness say anything much, negative or otherwise about gnr so I can't explain that.

He's also spot on about those Sankey guitar solos. Totally unnecessary, and it drags the overall show down. Yep, including the godfather, extended RQ, Johnny b Goode, wish you were here and whatever else I'm forgetting. Love the t-shirts though?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

I like The Darkness for that one song that got them famous, but never really dove into the rest of their catelogue. Worth checking out? 

I thought it was cool that an actual band had a hit song in the early 2000's. Having A guitar solo and that lead singer had some range! I think he's lost some of his voice too, but I wasn't sure if they disappeared from radar due to a lack of hits or the music landscape just turned so drastically. Bc at the time I think the closest thing in rock would be Good Charlotte or All American Rejects, Green Day may have come out with American Idiot at the time haha of course VR too. But all that went away after 04 or 05  

I think they got seen as a bit of a novelty act, something people could enjoy for a short period of time. For real though that outro solo on Growing On Me is the best guitar solo of the naughties!

4 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I think they got seen as a bit of a novelty act, something people could enjoy for a short period of time. For real though that outro solo on Growing On Me is the best guitar solo of the naughties!

This. Besides going off the deep end a bit (one way ticket, and the preceding tour, the knocker riser, white tiger etc...), they wrote great songs. Permission to land is fantastic from top to bottom. And on top that the other three albums have a bunch of corkers on there too. When they reunited in 2011, management dropped the ball spectacularly, they could have went back to playing to fairly big crowds, instead of 1-2000 capacity venues.

That hot cakes album had a few songs that could have been big singles, She's just a girl eddie, and A B-SIDE Can't believe it's not love - how they decided not to turn this into a full on track is beyond me because when I saw it performed live on the tur before the album came out, it was by far the standout new track - with the correct backing from a label and management they could have been well received on the charts, instead they released that shite "everybody have a good time" and it was essentially over before they even started. Obviously they were never going to go back to Permission to land levels of exposure, but they've essentially become an underground band with a cult following... and they wrote one of the biggest songs of the last 20 years... it doesn't make much sense! Rant over :D 

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

This. Besides going off the deep end a bit (one way ticket, and the preceding tour, the knocker riser, white tiger etc...), they wrote great songs. Permission to land is fantastic from top to bottom. And on top that the other three albums have a bunch of corkers on there too. When they reunited in 2011, management dropped the ball spectacularly, they could have went back to playing to fairly big crowds, instead of 1-2000 capacity venues.

That hot cakes album had a few songs that could have been big singles, She's just a girl eddie, and A B-SIDE Can't believe it's not love - how they decided not to turn this into a full on track is beyond me because when I saw it performed live on the tur before the album came out, it was by far the standout new track - with the correct backing from a label and management they could have been well received on the charts, instead they released that shite "everybody have a good time" and it was essentially over before they even started. Obviously they were never going to go back to Permission to land levels of exposure, but they've essentially become an underground band with a cult following... and they wrote one of the biggest songs of the last 20 years... it doesn't make much sense! Rant over :D 

Yeah I dont get it. They are a GREAT live band and Im surprised they never got past club status since the reunion

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He's 100 percent taking the piss when he said big appetite (but, might even be a jibe about the big man's gut for all I know). If you follow the darkness or go to their shows he's always making very dry English jokes... That may or may not land. 

As for the rest of it, I assume they were put under restrictions... But I've never read or seen The darkness say anything much, negative or otherwise about gnr so I can't explain that.

He's also spot on about those Sankey guitar solos. Totally unnecessary, and it drags the overall show down. Yep, including the godfather, extended RQ, Johnny b Goode, wish you were here and whatever else I'm forgetting. Love the t-shirts though?

I guess I'm one of the few who can understand why Axl who is moving around and sweating his arse off may wish to change his T-shirt from time to time.

I think allowing others to have a solo helps as well because it gives them stage time. Slash always liked to do his solos as did Sorum and Steven etc. 

So to me its the best of both worlds for them, Axl can have a break to change etc and other band members get to do solos. While fans might not like it I'm sure they all do.

Not heard of much from this band but the interview didn't seem too negative to me. It seemed more like he was trying to make sowm jokes like you said.

Guys, keep in mind Justin Hawkins had his own fair share of eating disorders, he was into binge eating and did grow a lot of weight between Permission to Land and One Way Ticket to Hell, so I believe that there's another perspective to keep in mind in his tongue-in-cheek puns to Axl Rose's physical shape.