Rate: Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Days of Thunder edition

Which version of KOHD do you prefer?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Remember that Tom Crooze movie from 1990 about race car drivers called Days of Thunder? No? 

The arrangement/mixing is slightly different from the final version on UYI. I don't like everything about the Days of Thunder KOHD but most of it sounds better than the UYI release. Some of it is odd though - the spoken parts :monkey:

Was this track mixed by someone different? It sounds better to my ears for some reason compared to the weird "airbrushed" sheen the Illusion songs have.

*This version of KOHD sounds a bit raw/stripped down compared to the final version. 

And just to promote Mr. Buckethead - this is the 2001 House of Blues version of KOHD - check Bucket's solo at 3:46 :o

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

Steven doesn't play on the DOT version.

Regarding the track, I love this dryer mix but the UYI version is a classic. Only things I would remove are Axl's ad libs/over the top screeching and the stupid phone call (but keeping the breakdown, the 1998 version was a butchered edit).

Slash's solo never ceases to make me smile. Have you heard a guitar sound more beautiful than during the first solo ? Such a creamy, delicate sound.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Cole Trickle :lol:

Can't believe you remembered his character's name in the movie. :P

I had the nintendo game. :lol:

38 minutes ago, EvH said:

Steven doesn't play on the DOT version.

Edited. I thought for sure Steven was playing the drums on that version since he was still in the band then.

• Like 1

I loved all the versions from the classic Era.

The early Raw Stripped Down versions were great

The UYI versions were great.. Slash had some killer solos during some of those

The Acoustic Skin N' Bones versions were great. Even Dizzy's piano solo in it.

The new version is drawn out and kind of boring.. I don't hate it like some but they should start by ripping out the Fortus solos.. Axl doesn't sound to great on the oooh ooooh ooooh oooh parts either.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Original said:

I used to love this song live, but these days I'm kinda KOHD'd out. 

Unfortunately there a are a handful of songs I feel that way about either due to the lineup or Axl's voice...

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

Never heard the Days Of Thunder mix, thanks for posting @RONIN! Apart from the weird talking in the second verse, I would take this mix over the UYI record version, the song live was bloated back in the day (give me some fucking reggae) and has been drawn out to almost laughable proportions in recent years. The DOT mix has less reverb on it and the snare sounds rawer, definitely a fan. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, zombux said:

I dislike KOHD in all incarnations. 

Same here. It's probably a fun song for karaoke nights and a crowd-pleaser for those that like to sing along during concerts (which is a reason for me not to go to concerts at all), but it's nothing but filler on the UYI album.

• Like 1