Silkworms OLD leak

30 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Rapidfire I think. That's been around for a while.

Yeah, i was going to say it sounds like early stuff. I did find other people on the internet calling it a Rapidfire demo, but the style of singing sounds different than the Rapidfire tracks Kevin Lawrence released a couple of years ago. Who really knows, but it does sound awesome.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

After the show in Newcastle, a bunch of us were waiting to see if Axl would come out to grab a photo/meet him, and eventually he did.

While he was taking photos with everyone, I said 'love silkworms Axl'

and his response was, and I direct quote

"Actually we are thinking about releasing that later this year"

Gunns**2013**

My feelings on OMG, Riad, Shacklers, and Silkworms ? (since is the discussion of today).

I gotta disagree with Wagzillas assessment. Those might 3 of the MOST cut and paste songs Nugnr did. Before I get down to that, let me say of those 4 I really like OMG and Shacklers. Riad and Silkworms don't do much for me. 

Back to the patchwork remark, those songs are all over the place guitar wise. Silkworms is probably the only one that is unified, but we never got a proper version of it either.  OMG (even though I like it) has freaking Dave Navarro and Gary Sunshine on guitar. Does Finck even play on it? I love Axl's vocals and lyrics though. 

Shackler's is a pretty interesting song, and even though I DO like it (imo it's the "hardest" song on CD), it's basically a Buckethead song with a BBF solo. If it had a Buckethead solo, I would probably dig it more. That's not a knock against BBF, but him and Bucket were never in the band together, again patchwork.

Riad is another Buckethead song with BBF all over it, so it suffers from the same problem as Shacklers imo. Plus, imo, it's the weakest of these 3, it's better than Silkworms though. I just can't get past the failed Immigrant Song vibe I get. All in all, it's not a bad song, it's a solid album track. In the context of guns entire officially released catalogue, it has to come in near the bottom. Why? Because it's a weaker track on CD, therefore it's a weak guns song overall. I think it has potential, but the version that exists doesn't realize that potential. 

As far as which songs on CD sound the most like a band to me are better, if the world, street of dreams, TWAT, Maddy, sorry, and TIL. They feel less like patchwork to me, probably because Ron isn't on them much. Axl didn't alter those as much imo.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Honestly, I have to make a statement here (ive come to a realization), I don't like Rons solos on CD very much. I think he's an awesome guy, and I DO like his playing, his solos on CD are NOT very good. His Catcher solo is probably his best solo on that album, so I'll give him that one. But even that one is NOT a stand out on that album. Even though Buckethead was too weird for me, his guitar work is the best on that album. His TWAT and If the world solos are my two favs on that album. If the world is only an average song imo, but Buckethead DOES take that song to a whole new level. Which that's the role of a lead guitarist imo. 

Finck provided some great work also, but his TIL solo is NOT better than the two Bucket solos I just mentioned, at least not to me. But I would say it's the 3rd best piece of guitar work on that album. 

So IMO Ron's solos get over shadowed on that album. I'm fine with any rhythm stuff he added, but I can't help but think the album might have sounded more cohesive if Axl left Buckethead's solos on his songs. 

Which my LEAST favorite line up was the freaks and geeks 2002 line up, with 2006 being my favorite for Nugnr. Having said that, Buckethead was better on CD.

Obviously B.May was originally on Catcher and which other unreleased songs? 
In fact do we have a full list of guitarists who contributed or at one point played on demos/unreleased

tracks during the Chi-Dem sessions? It must read like a who's who of the rock industry ! :lol:

I'm glad to hear some of the praise here thrown around for Riad, always loved that one and wish Axl would dust it off live sometimes. I had never heard that studio version w/ the Bucket solo, sounds great. Is that from the Skwerl leaks? Did Skwerl leak the album before it had Ron and Frank added? 

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@Wagszilla,

I agree with the Buckethead and Brian combo. It DID have chemistry and was interesting. Not Appetite interesting, at least not for me, but did have potential.  Too bad Axl let BBF loose on those songs, he did Take something put of them.

Yeah that group had potential. That was Axl's shot at putting out a legit band. Too bad it didn't work out, I think it would have been interesting.

Bumble should've stayed off IRS too.

5 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

I'm glad to hear some of the praise here thrown around for Riad, always loved that one and wish Axl would dust it off live sometimes. I had never heard that studio version w/ the Bucket solo, sounds great. Is that from the Skwerl leaks? Did Skwerl leak the album before it had Ron and Frank added? 

only some songs, not the whole album. also there were even earlier versions leaked before that, famously the MSL leaks from 2007 and darknemus leaks from 2006:

15wgbpe.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zombux said:

only some songs, not the whole album. also there were even earlier versions leaked before that, famously the MSL leaks from 2007 and darknemus leaks from 2006:

15wgbpe.png

Was it ever confirmed that Checkmate was Jackie Chan though? I've always viewed that as more of a working title. I've also heard people say it's The General. And another title, can't remember which. 

yes, Axl confirmed Jackie Chan is a working title. the thing about The General is speculation and probably far from truth.

Dec. 2008:- Axl Rose @ chinesedemocracy.com wrote:
And Checkmate is a bogus title. The working title is Jackie Chan.

1 minute ago, zombux said:

yes, Axl confirmed Jackie Chan is a working title. the thing about The General is speculation and probably far from truth.

Dec. 2008:- Axl Rose @ chinesedemocracy.com wrote:
And Checkmate is a bogus title. The working title is Jackie Chan.

Marco Beltrami claimed to have worked on The General, Seven, Thyme and Leave Me Alone. I'm very curious about all of these. 

I'm also still very curious on the material Brian May worked on. Like the leaked Catcher, but there should be at least two more. 

"I heard most of the tracks back in 1999 at a dinner at Axl's house with Brian May of Queen - he was adding some guitar tracks. The songs were phenomenal."
(Craig Duswalt, Splat, 04/06/05)

"They played me everything. Axl actually sat down and made me listen to everything (laughs) and there's some wonderful stuff there."
(Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00)

I REALLY want to hear what Axl played them.... 

This also still fascinates me: 

Q: Axl, here's a list of rumored song titles.  Can you tell us which ones are bogus and which ones are real?

Ides Of March ('98), Oklahoma ('98), Atlas Shrugged ('99), Closing In On You ('99), Cock-A-Roach Soup ('99), Friend Or Foe ('99), Hearts Get Killed ('99), No Love Remains ('99), Oh My God ('99), Something Always ('99), Suckerpunched ('99), Zip It ('99), Silkworms ('00), Down By The Ocean ('01), Leave Me Alone ('02), Seven ('02), The General ('02), Thyme ('02), Quick Song ('05), Zodiac ('05), Motormouth ('06), We Were Lying ('06)

A: Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged,  Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Leave Me Alone, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song , Zodiac Most all titles subject to change w/out warning and r considered working titles. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008)

I'm still assuming Down By The Ocean is Izzy's song Box. But some of those other titles still sound enticing. 

10 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I really like Silkworms but I think it should be more metal like the later leaks than the electronic shitfest that Pitman made it. I mean, just listen to Rio 2001. The intro sounds like farts.

That's because it WAS farts. Axl went and ate a couple of those chili burgers he so dearly covets, waited 5 minutes, put the mic up to his ass, and farted violently for 20 seconds... Pittman then took the nucleus of those farts and created the foundation for silkworms. In essence, Axl's farts are the "meat and potatoes" of silkworms.

• Like 1