Concert Posters Thread

estrangedtwat

Inspired by the fantastic lithographs on the NITL tour, mostly by Arian Buhler, I thought it would be fun to talk about other concert posters and concert poster artists here.

I'm sure there are iconic artists from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but I personally am most familiar with stuff from the 90s.

The undisputed king in my book is Frank Kozik.

soundgarden-.jpg

1b40847dfb53005ceb4c9283875da45d.jpg

sonic.jpg?w=604

Also the Ames Bros did some awesome stuff for Pearl Jam:

246o0sm.jpg

11_4571a_lg.jpeg

rs-91376-17198966-17198968-large.jpg

Here's one last Pearl Jam poster...not by Ames but by an artist named Derek Hess.  This one is a personal favorite cause it was my first PJ show:

Pearljam_94.jpg&w=450&h=

So please share pics of your favorite concert posters here!  Doesn't matter who the band is, who the artist is....I just wanna see a lot of cool ass concert posters!!

• 4 months later...
On 26/07/2017 at 4:12 AM, estrangedtwat said:

11_4571a_lg.jpeg

Here's one last Pearl Jam poster...not by Ames but by an artist named Derek Hess.  This one is a personal favorite cause it was my first PJ show:

So please share pics of your favorite concert posters here!  Doesn't matter who the band is, who the artist is....I just wanna see a lot of cool ass concert posters!!

I despise Pearl Jam but that poster is sick!

IMHO the golden age of the concert posters was mid 60's to early 70's especially those for Bill Graham's Fillmore East/ West and Winterland Venues

https://www.pinterest.com/shawn54/fillmore-east-west-posters/?autologin=true

Although there are some really great modern era artists

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/60-inspiring-concert-posters-from-10-amazing-artists/

https://www.pinterest.com/houseofblues/concert-poster-essentials/?lp=true

• 1 month later...

I love the internet.  You learn something new every day.

I've had this Pearl Jam poster for the Cleveland 1998 show almost 20 years now.  It was never my favorite image, but I kept it cause it was my hometown show.  I was jealous of the other cities that got better images.  In fact, I always considered it a bit ugly.

Today I just stumbled across some creepy old vintage photo that it's a blatant homage to.  I've had it all this time and had no idea.  Doesn't make me like it any more, but still kind of cool, I suppose.

(Jesus has it really been 20 years?  I desperately miss my youth.)

h6NPKT3.jpg

On 7/28/2017 at 1:20 AM, J Dog said:

The Crowes always had good ones.

67b102cd73d33a3658b2b8b494b29fe4--poster

7bccab481087f168fa0aae338b6a4f79--food-p

c53d9680ba4f4116e60da7177ddd468f.jpg?noi

a20791b143b8ab87a2a488_l__41468.14107994

8e50697866b5e1429751f994f071ff79--gig-po

During the summer before my senior year of high school, I went to some college student dude's apartment to buy a bag of weed.  I think it was like $30 for an 8th of really kind bud....not a bad price I think but this was 1995.  On his wall he had one of the giant "subway" posters.  Like 3 feet by 5 feet.  It had the two cartoon crows on it but I can't remember the exact design probably cause I was high.  But I thought it was awesome.  I guess it could have been from any time in the early 90s.  I'd love to see that poster again but I feel like it would be trying to find a needle in a haystack.  I still associate the Black Crowes with getting hiiiiiiigggghhh.   Me and countless others I'm sure.

Oh, and while I'm on a roll....here's another classic from the 90s combining Frank Kozik AND Neil Young!

FA2492PearlJam_lg.jpeg

Edited by estrangedtwat

OK, last one I promise....

As you can see I'm a big fan of all the unique and varied images for the Pearl Jam posters over the years.   The "gas mask" image from the 2000 Euro tour is one of my absolute favorites.   I've scoured the net and can't find my exact copy.   It's one of those big "subway" posters,  3 feet by 5 feet.   Here's what it looks like, except mine is yellow and not grey, and VERY unfortunately mine isn't signed by the band!

UFoQle9.jpg

I just love that gas mask guy....such a cool drawing.

Edited by estrangedtwat

5 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

During the summer before my senior year of high school, I went to some college student dude's apartment to buy a bag of weed.  I think it was like $30 for an 8th of really kind bud....not a bad price I think but this was 1995.  On his wall he had one of the giant "subway" posters.  Like 3 feet by 5 feet.  It had the two cartoon crows on it but I can't remember the exact design probably cause I was high.  But I thought it was awesome.  I guess it could have been from any time in the early 90s.  I'd love to see that poster again but I feel like it would be trying to find a needle in a haystack.  I still associate the Black Crowes with getting hiiiiiiigggghhh.   Me and countless others I'm sure.

Kind bud, haven't heard that term in awhile. Stuff was like gold back in the day. And yea, Black Crowes are good for the head.

poster,210x230,f8f8f8-pad,210x230,f8f8f8

Black-Crowes-_HJCling_full.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Geez, still no love for Kozik or non-GNR posters it seems.

In the early 90s I was in high school and such a PJ fanatic.

I'd have proudly displayed this poster to be all aggressive and get in the face of Pro-lifers, cause I considered them "evil brainwashed bible thumpers, maaaaan."

Ah....the stupidity of youth.   I'm 42 now and I don't give a crap either way.  Someone starts talking about abortion and I just peace out of the conversation.

But those loudmouth SJWs Pearl Jam had to have an agenda for everything.   Cool poster though.

4T7NHfI.jpg

Another great PJ from later in their career was another one with those crazy perspective letting like the beginning of a SW movie.   I'm a sucker for that:

rZkGGaJ.jpg

And I finally found a decent(ish) pic of my 2000 Europe subway poster.  I still have it.  This pic doesn't do it justice.  It was about 2 feet by 5 feet....just MASSIVE.  And I love the gas mask face.  This pic is small and sucky but it's all I could find. Mine is currently rolled up in a tube for the last 20 years but I'm so glad I have it!!

This is for sure the one I have cause the same cities are listed.  It's never for sale...wonder what it's worth? A lot of PJ poster are worth biiiiig bucks...

FwBqLtS.jpg

So come on guys....let's see come cool godamn rock posters....60s, 70s, 80s, 90s....whatever!  Let's see more!!

• Like 1