PHILLY

silverrose721

im from NY (new york rocks!) i was at both the garden show n the philly show n man wat a different in crouds the msg show.. what can i say? it was amazing, n well someof u probably know the philly shwo was cancelled... now let me explain to u wat went on there... (thos philly ppl r animals)

we get to philly while mix master mike was on (we already saw the opening acts last night), we go to our seats, everythings fine... mix master mike finishs ppl boo him, but cheer that hes gone, now usually theres a 30 min to an hour wait b4 the main act comes on... so we wait.. now 10 mins of waiting was to much for these ppl i guess, so they start to boo n chant 'ass-hole' so yea, i guess they think that booin n callin the band aholes will get them out there faster

after about 15/20 mins (yea i know the times bc i kept lookin at the clock) ppl in our row start kickin the chairs in the row in front of us, breaking 2, some random ppl r throwing stuff of the balconys...

after 30/40 mins, ppl start leaving, others r still chanting, other are turning floor seat chairs over, other r punchin ppl, more ppl start throwing drinks, crew members disemmble the pyros, the sound guys cover the equipment

at this point my friend n i are like "good i hope axl doesnt come out, these ppl are animals"

i mean we already saw them, they were fantastic, the greatest ive ever heard axl

now im reading message boards with ppl rippin axl bc he didnt show up, one of the excuses heard was he couldnt make it to phily from ny, umm if we came from ny with no problem y couldnt they?, another we heard was health problems, n well buckethead has been having a few health problems lately

so i heard that after we left there were a few arrests n some fires n stuff, f***in animals, i was tryin to defend axl on these boards n they were sayin hes such a ahole for cancelling that show, for whatever reason it was its probablt reasonable so far this is the 2nd on his entire tour that hes missed, the other was bc his plane couldnt take off!

i just heard this: (online convo)

A:some guy said "yea some people threw drinks and turned over a few chairs, but most people just left in disgust. i mean, we had to wait like 2 hours!!"

S: where is that?

A: they threw probably hundreds of drinks and turned over almost every floor seat after half an hour.... on the mailing list. i told him he was full of s**t

A: he's like "philadelphia is a tough town, and we handled this really well. if axl ever comes back here he'll get killed"

A: i asked him why the hell ANYONE would wanna go to philadelphia

S: theyre a bunch of animals  

now i think axl might have been there n just refused to go on, would u go n perform is your audience is booing n callin u an ahole??

>:(

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the deal on Philly,

According to "inside sources"

The band was in place and ready to play

and were watching the Knicks / Celtics game on TV.

Security came back and told Axl he had better get out there because things were getting ugly.

Axl said he would be out when he was ready, as per usual.

The little security geek guy comes back with the head of security and pushes his way past Axl's secuity, made a big scene and was yelling at Axl and threatened to pull the plug on the cable feed on the basketball game.

Needless to say, they butted heads with the wrong dude.

Axl WAS feeling a little rough but had all intentions of going on with the show up until arena security tried to pull rank on him and threatened to hold his cash back, which they had no authority to do anyway.

Axl told them to keep the money, no problem, and go explain  to the 20,000 maniacs outside that security cancelled the show, not him..........

you new york fans are ass-holes. get your facts straight before speaking. people didn't start getting pissed off until and hour of waiting. we knew they weren't going to show. an explanation would have helped instead the high and mighty axl ass-hole rose didn't show. new york scum should stay on there side of the bridge anyway. didn't we just bitch slap yuou guys the other night

KISS MY ASS.........speak the truth goddamn new yorkers...if its so great dont come down here.....people were not throwing shit, or goin crazy 10 mins after mix master mike left.......get your shit straight......and your damn right people got mad and started throwing shit....we waited until 11:30....thats 4 hours if you can count....and i never even heard anything announced at all about what the hell was going on and i was down in the lower section.........AXL Rose is bullshit....as was last night.....lucky for you you saw the show a few nights before do u didnt miss much did you........NO you didnt, but the rest of us all 20,000 Philly GNR fans who have been waiting for 10 damn years were angry....as we should have been......AXL owes this city big time.......STAY OUT OF PHILLY if your just gonna bitch about it......and if you wanna talk about craziness talk about the crazy ass canadians who went nuts and broke all kinds of shit.....the crowd handled it very well...we should have set the whole city ablaze.........SCREW GNR

o yea burn the city down thatll do alot of good, i was gone by 1130 shit was happening b4 that, y do all the philly ppl say that what they did was nothing n they shouldve done more? i kept my eye on the clock mix master mike got off at 10, i left at 11 the ppl in my row had already broken chairs by 1030

it pissed me off that while every1 was waiting ppl were boin n chanting ass-hole, mayb it every1 chanted "guns n roses" they would have been like "hey they really want to hear us" but y would they come out to a croud off ppl booing at them?

i came to pilly to c my favorite band perform, i thought the ppl could b civilized

Hey listen, first off you guys from NY have no right to say anything about the Philly concert.  You SOB's got to see him the night before.  I, and probably others, waited 3 F@#$ing months to see that show.  Second,  if this whole riot was anyones fault, it was the First Union Center.  Those bastards didn't tell us till 11:15 that GNR wasn's going to play.  That was over an hour after Mix Master J or what ever his name was left.   If Axl was in NY like the news is saying, then the Center could have told us before the God Damn thing even started.  And another thing,  you guys call us animals when we all know you would have done exactly the same thing.  Maybe you guys should worry about yourselves.  It's a shame we were as orderly as we were.  I would have loved to burn that Mother F#$#er to the ground!

...we should have set the whole city ablaze.........SCREW GNR

It's guys like you who give all GNR fans a bad name. Just reinforces that stereotypical image outsiders have that all GNR fans are empty-headed thugs.  ::)

If you really have been following GNR all these years, then you would know that Axl is notoriously late for shows. It's just a fact of GNR life. He likes to get into his own space and go on when he's prepared mentally. That's the way he is, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Myself, I'm still waiting for official word on why the gig was cancelled, and I'm not rushing to make judgments until I hear Axl's side on this.

Regardless of the reasons, there is NO excuse for people to tear up the stadium, rip off seats and steal GNR's equipment. Totally out of line. Ironically, it will be these same neanderthals who will be first to b*tch and complain if Clear Channel decides to pull the plug on the rest of the tour because it doesn't want to pick up the tab for damage, injuries and lawsuits stemming from riots.

What happened, happened. GNR wasn't right (not professional, esp. for a band trying to make a comeback) and fans weren't right. Alcohol makes people stupid. Nothing good came out of last night. No sense bitchin' and moanin' and pointing fingers.

I think the overwhelming feeling was disappointment. But, when you get GNR tickets, you know that a no-show is a possiblity. It was more fun facing that back in the heyday than last night now. Maybe I just have less patience for BS.

The thing I want to know now is: Do I get my money back or get tickets to a future show? Anyone know where I can find out this information?

What happened, happened. GNR wasn't right (not professional, esp. for a band trying to make a comeback) and fans weren't right. Alcohol makes people stupid. Nothing good came out of last night. No sense bitchin' and moanin' and pointing fingers.

I think the overwhelming feeling was disappointment. But, when you get GNR tickets, you know that a no-show is a possiblity. It was more fun facing that back in the heyday than last night now. Maybe I just have less patience for BS.

The thing I want to know now is: Do I get my money back or get tickets to a future show? Anyone know where I can find out this information?

Before the Illusion tour, a no show was never a possibilty.  In 92 Axl lost it, stole (hijacked) the band name from the other members and started to just not show up.  It is his fault, no one else was never a no show.  And the best part is he was always bitching about other members substaince problems ruining the band, in fact it was all his fault.

Well, like I said, back in '87 and '90 and '91, part of the sexy thrill was "What will happen at the GNR show? Will they go on? Will they get arrested? What will happen?"

And, when you're on top of the world, hey, you can do that. That's part of the thrill to liking GNR.

But, last night just seemed lame. I certainly didn't expect him to bag a major venue show, especially this early in the tour.  If his voice was bad, then they shouldn't book back-to-back shows early on. I too was talking to security guards at 9:30 that said "He's not even in the city" not "they aren't in the city." According to a NY radio show late last night, Axl comes and goes on his own schedule. Rumor? Maybe, but the host is plugged into the scene (and no it's not Cain). He doesn't hang with the band that much. That too will be evident in the performances, I guess, though I hear the MSG show rocked.

Like I said, it was just a major disappointment. You wait all that time....and it's a dry heave.

Well, now I have my "Yeah, GNR didn't even show!" story.

I liked it better, though, when back in '91, I was able to tell people "They were so great! It was so loud in there from people cheering, I still don't know what the first song was!"

Ah well, life goes on......

... he was always bitching about other members substaince problems ruining the band, in fact it was all his fault.

That's it. Blame everything on Axl .. the band's breakup .. everything.  In fact, in your view, he's probably responsible for all of the modern world's problems. Maybe he was hijacking the planes on 9/11 or maybe you can even link him to the Kennedy assassination.  :P

Get a life.

Hey again.  I wanted to apologize for my before message.  What I said really did not have much behind it.  What I meant by my statement about being told at 11:15 was that is was tooo late.  Peolple were boozed up and rowdy.  Heck I saw this one guy who could barely walk.  The Center most have known that there was going to be riot.  The reason I say this is because they called the police and fire department before the cancelation was announced.  The common feeling was dissapointment.  We had to listen to  a Rob Zombie CD for an HOUR!  The thing that concerns me now is if there will be a make up date.  Weather it was the fans fault or the venues fault or GNR's fault, everyone was cheated out of a great night.  If anyone as any info about what is going to happen next please post it.  Thanks.

GNR Forever!

im from NY (new york rocks!) i was at both the garden show n the philly show n man wat a different in crouds the msg show.. what can i say? it was amazing, n well someof u probably know the philly shwo was cancelled... now let me explain to u wat went on there... (thos philly ppl r animals)

we get to philly while mix master mike was on (we already saw the opening acts last night), we go to our seats, everythings fine... mix master mike finishs ppl boo him, but cheer that hes gone, now usually theres a 30 min to an hour wait b4 the main act comes on... so we wait.. now 10 mins of waiting was to much for these ppl i guess, so they start to boo n chant 'ass-hole' so yea, i guess they think that booin n callin the band aholes will get them out there faster

after about 15/20 mins (yea i know the times bc i kept lookin at the clock) ppl in our row start kickin the chairs in the row in front of us, breaking 2, some random ppl r throwing stuff of the balconys...

after 30/40 mins, ppl start leaving, others r still chanting, other are turning floor seat chairs over, other r punchin ppl, more ppl start throwing drinks, crew members disemmble the pyros, the sound guys cover the equipment

at this point my friend n i are like "good i hope axl doesnt come out, these ppl are animals"

i mean we already saw them, they were fantastic, the greatest ive ever heard axl

now im reading message boards with ppl rippin axl bc he didnt show up, one of the excuses heard was he couldnt make it to phily from ny, umm if we came from ny with no problem y couldnt they?, another we heard was health problems, n well buckethead has been having a few health problems lately

so i heard that after we left there were a few arrests n some fires n stuff, f***in animals, i was tryin to defend axl on these boards n they were sayin hes such a ahole for cancelling that show, for whatever reason it was its probablt reasonable so far this is the 2nd on his entire tour that hes missed, the other was bc his plane couldnt take off!

i just heard this: (online convo)

A:some guy said "yea some people threw drinks and turned over a few chairs, but most people just left in disgust. i mean, we had to wait like 2 hours!!"

S: where is that?

A: they threw probably hundreds of drinks and turned over almost every floor seat after half an hour.... on the mailing list. i told him he was full of s**t

A: he's like "philadelphia is a tough town, and we handled this really well. if axl ever comes back here he'll get killed"

A: i asked him why the hell ANYONE would wanna go to philadelphia

S: theyre a bunch of animals  

now i think axl might have been there n just refused to go on, would u go n perform is your audience is booing n callin u an ahole??

>:(

I would not have gone on either!  I'm glad Axl didn't go on stage.  We had a mellow concert in Tacoma, that was right after the Vancouver cancelation.  What were those animals thinking?  The security guards didn't check people out that well.  Who in their right mind would choose to be an open target. Good call Axl! :o

First off, don't bother replying directly to me, I'm only making a one time post and won't be back to check it.  I only want to speak my peace.

I was at the concert from 7:30 until 11:30.  I know what went on.

Shortly after 7:30, a band called something like "Cassy" {{I apologize for not getting the name correct, they were good in my opinion.}} played for close to an hour.  After a wait of about 20 or 30 minutes, Mix Master Mike began his act.  He played about an hour and ended between 9:30 and 9:45.  He did not endear himself to the crowd.  {{Does a D.J. really belong at a rock and roll concert anyway?  Seriously!}}  He played a few songs that got the crowd interested but then kind of slaughtered those very same songs.  {{I actually stood out in the hall for sometime to avoid his act.}}  The crowd was not enjoying Mix Master Mike very much but he did his job: using up time and getting the crowd pumped for Guns and Roses.

Now for when things really go down hill.

At 10:00 the concesion stands where closed; no beer{{I'm not one of the drunks or even one of the pot heads if thats what you're thinking}}, no pretzels, nothing!  For about the next half hour, the crowd grew impatent and chanting became worse and worse.  It however did not start off bad.  The crowd would boo every time a Rob Zombie song would end and the lights did not dim for the main act.  It was around 10:30 people began to throw things, mostly from the upper levels.  {{Unfortunately, I was on the lower level were most of the stuff would lose its force and fall.}}  The stage lights flickered two different times and the crowd would cheer wildly for a few seconds then would quickly change to boos.  The crowd still wanted Guns and Roses.  At about 10:45 the event staff began to pack up the equipment quitely.  Some of the crowd noticed the electric equipment in the middle of the floor covered up and began to leave.  It was about 11:00 went the staff finally annouced the show was cancelled, giving only "an illness in the band" as a reason.  Keep in mind, this is 20,000 Guns and Roses fans, from Philly, without food or drink for an hour, without entertainment for an hour and a half, without Guns and Roses for 10 years, deeply disappointed.  A roit happened.  {{Go figure.}}

I saw many things thrown; some chairs from the floor area, many cups and such from the upper level, and even some small tables from the upper level onto empty seats.  I saw the floor chairs knocked over, which wasn't too hard since whole rows went over at once.  I saw chairs being ripped into and railings destroyed. {{I myself threw some dropped rost beef, tipped over a row of chairs, and broke off two railings.}}

Outside wasn't a whole lot better.  I saw plastic cases for binocullars kept under the seats in the upper levels scattered like newspaper on a windy day.  One case had acctually been burned.  I saw a couple who had the nuts off their wheels stolen and a tire slashed.  {{I stopped and spoke with them and felt sorry I could not help them.  I hope they got home alright.}}  I saw a group of men walking off with seat cushions and a poster from the laddies bathroom.

These 20,000 fans were not happy and wanted to vent.  {{Personally, I wanted Guns and Roses to pick up the tab for any damage I caused.}}  Don't get me wrong, that riot was illegal and dangerous.  However, that riot was also avoidable with a little fore sight of Guns and Roses.  An explanation, perferably by Axel Rose himself {{I wouldn't have wanted to come out on stage by 10:30 myself if I where him.}} would have most likely lessened the severity of this riot if not eliminate it entirely.

Afterwards I heard such things as "Guns and Roses sat courtside at the Lakers game in New York" and "The cops showed up 20 minutes after the riot even though they where called before the cancelation".

The crowd was irresponsilbe, as humanity tends to be.

Guns and Roses was irresponsible, as Axel Rose tends to be.

Even the police where irresponsible, as government tends to be.

I look at what could have been done and how the riot could have been stopped.  I see only a few people who could have made a difference.  No indiviual in that crowd could have swayed the mob.  No low level event staff could have made a decision to annouce the cancelation earlier.  Only Guns and Roses, and those who held control over those procedings that night, could have made any difference.

{{I'm sorry Axel Rose, but you F'ed up.}}

WHEN YA GOT A JOB TO DO YA GOT TO DO IT WELL

YOU GOT TO GIVE THE OTHER FELLA HELL

---Axel Rose, "Live and Let Die", "Use Your Illusion 1" 1973

thanks sherlock, yea the new york show was melow too, ppl were drinkin n smoking n stuff but they behaved, the entire place stood the whole time singin their songs was loud as they could, it was a great night

axl was great, he was so nice to the croud too, he thanked us many times about being there for him n helpin him out

Shades is most likely right.  Axl was there, CKY said that during their set.  So the whole thing saying he was still in NYC is most likely a rumor.  Idiots like jeremy0675, "formerGNRfan," Jim, and Kinslayer313 aren't even worth arguing with, so I won't even try.  

The fact is the riot happened because of the alcohol.  Plain and simple.  The only people around me that I saw destroying s-it had a drink in their hand at least once when I saw them before.  Stupid drunk f-cks...everyone knows Gn'R never goes on on time.  It should be expected.  There were other shows on the tour that had to wait just as long or close to as long as we in Philly did and they kept their cool.  They didn't start acting like a bunch of little jackass children that didn't get their way.  They didn't start ripping the place apart.  They had patience and got what they came for.  The most likely reason that the wait was so long, like I said, was either because of what Shades said or what I have said in other threads about Axl seeing the chairs and s-it onstage and just saying f-ck it and leaving.  There were a few hundred people rioting and s-it and I'm willing to bet that 98% of them had alcohol in their system.  Alcohol is a problem at things like this, it shouldn't be allowed.

... There were a few hundred people rioting and s-it and I'm willing to bet that 98% of them had alcohol in their system.  Alcohol is a problem at things like this, it shouldn't be allowed.

Agreed. Wise words Mark.

And it's unfortunate that the actions of a couple hundred drunk or whacked-out people make all GNR fans look bad.

Mark, what I said about axl being in NY was what I heard.  Nothing more.  I am not a thickheaded person.  I don't drink or do drugs.  I simply want to know what happened and I don't aprecciate it when people who actually got to see GNR comment on the behavior of people, like myself, who were cheated out of the chance to see them.  Wheather it be because of Drunk fans or a crappy venue like the rightfully titled F.U. Center.  Thing where I live never seem to work right.  God damn Philly/NJ