Earl: Axl Rose's Bodyguard Speaks

todcowsill

I don't believe I've seen this posted here yet:
http://www.metal-sludge.com/20QuestionsEar...arlGabbidon.htm
....looks like the tour will be back on come summer.

EDIT: The link no longer works. I've pasted below the interview of Earl, Axl's old bodyguard. I have modify the interview's format to make it easier to read.

- Downzy

METAL SLUDGE,

My name is Earl, and I’m sure you know who I am. Doug Goldstein told me about all your interesting commentary on Axl and the entire situation involving Clear Channel regarding the Chinese Democracy world Tour. You print these bullshit emails that bored, ugly 13 year olds send in. Get your facts straight. And as far as your F.U. aware Axl would love to accept it in person. So please let us know how Axl can pick up his prestigious award… or I’ll be happy to pick it up for him! Clear Channel isn’t the only promoter… Beaver is offering huge money… Well, be back out soon! Count on it… Keep the negativity coming. It fuels Axl.

Earl Gabbidon,

GNR Security

After doing a bit of research, we found out that was Earl Gabbidon and he's Axl's bodyguard. He's worked with Guns N Roses for the last 14 years! So naturally, we emailed him back and hit him up for 20 Questions because we figured he's about as close as we're ever going to get to Axl. He said to send them over and we did, and within hours we got these back!

Even though Earl is a big black man, he's very ninja like and there aren't many photos of him floating around. We only found one photo and it's up above. If anybody has anymore, hook us up. He's in a few GNR videos as well, so get some video captures of that for us because we're too stupid to know how to do that.

Enough bullshit, here's the latest from the GNR camp, enjoy!

1. What are you currently up to?

We're on hold temporarily while we regroup and see what the $$ folks have to offer. Axl has been looking forward to this tour for 5 years now. We'll be back!

2. How did you get started being a bodyguard and what other artists have you worked with?

I started doing security in Arizona locally and it turned into a nice living! There’s nothing better than liking your job! I've also worked for Prince, Madonna, Will Smith, the Stones.

3. Being that you are Axl’s bodyguard, are you with him even when Axl’s off the road? Are you at his call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?

Axl and I are very close, he knows he can ask me for anything 24 hours a day and I'd be happy to do it, but yes technically I'm on call 24/7

4. What hard rock/heavy metal band should give it up and call it a day?

Any band that gets up there and it looks like there working instead of having fun!-but if you forced me to answer at gunpoint-PEARL JAM!-WHAT ASSHOLES!

5. Last time you had to beat somebody’s ass?

Guns/Metallica Summer Stadium Tour – someone walked off with Duff’s Tour Jacket.

Last time you wanted to beat Axl’s ass?

Hahaha… I plead the 5th!!!

Last CD you purchased?

Rolling Stones, Licks cd!

Last celebrity you met?

Paul McCartney at the L.A. Forum; me and Axl went to his show… Amazing!

Last sporting even you went to?

Some basketball game? Can’t remember where or when.

Last movie you saw?

The Tuxedo, Jennifer Love Hewitt!

Last time you got a raise from Axl?

Axl’s very generous, I’m fortunate enough to be on retainer, so my pay fluctuates, but like I said Axl is a wonderful, generous guy.

Last time you punched an autograph seeker?

Not my style!!! Try to prevent violence.

Last time you worked out at a gay gym with Axl?

….

Last time you took advantage of a groupie?

Where’s my itinerary?

6. When you and Axl are on the road with Guns N' Roses, what’s Axl’s typical day like for you? Give us a breakdown of your daily duties?

Wake around 7am, eat breakfast, shower, call management and get Axl’s daily grind list. Wake Axl, do press, or go to the studio. On the road: wake, eat, press, go shopping or to the gym with Axl, then go to venue, do show, leave for next city. Make sure all of Axl’s stuff makes it to the plane, and off we go!!!

7. Ok, why Axl make it to Philadelphia? You were with him, was he really watching basketball in his room? What’s the real story?

Here’s the real deal… The basketball game story is bullshit! We stayed in New York until the last minute, that’s true! But it had nothing to do with a Knicks game. Axl had some personal things going on that would have kept him from giving the fans their moneys worth. I personally told our tour manager at 6:30 that we weren’t coming. The promoter in Pilly chose to drag it out! Not our fault.

8. What’s the most frustrating aspect of your job?

Dealing with the worlds prejudices and preconceived notions about Axl!

9. You know Axl extremely well, probably better than his bandmates. What’s the real Axl Rose like? The Axl people don’t get to see?

Axl is a warm, caring person that tries hard to make people happy. Sometimes when it’s not in his best interest to. He’s funny as hell, extremely talented, he can have his difficult days, but who doesn’t? We’ve been around the world together a dozen times. We’ve had many laughs around the world. He’s a great guy, who I’m proud to call my bro.

10. Give us a touring memory about the following cities:

St. Louis: Riverport… A little incident there. I remember rushing Axl to the car and watching the shit hit the fan!

Vancouver: Bad timing… Jet problems!

Detroit: Palace at Auburn hills, getting a $25,000 bill from the promoter because Duff got fucked up and trashed a dressing room and catering room!

Tokyo: Tokyo Dome, Love Mr. Udo. Good shoping. Me and Axl always make it a point to hit the Rapongi District.

Atlanta: Home of my man J. Duprree. What’s up son?

Phoenix: Cooperstown, best wings around! Golfin’ with Alice

Chicago: Great pizza! And fans!

Rio, Brazil: I remember Axl getting robbed for his $30,000 Rolex outside our hotel by some thugs. I was with Slash and Matt that Day. Axl went out alone, which he knows was bad. Don’t like it there. Beautiful, but dangerous.

Las Vegas: Love it! Sam Boyd Stadium 1991 we killed!

11. Have there ever been any annoying celebrities or rock stars that have wanted to meet Axl that you had to deal with, and if so, who was a pain in the ass?

Owen Wilson, he came to the MSG show in New York. He had like five guests and he tried to walk them all into Axl’s dressing room. He wouldn’t have made it to the dressing room alone, nevermind with a bunch of people we don’t know or care about.

12. Other than Axl, what rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?

Vince Neil, for running his mouth a decade later about his feud with Axl. As they say get in the ring mother fucker!

13. It was reported that Slash or any past GNR members were not allowed at the Guns N Roses concert last New Year’s Eve in Las Vegas and that Slash got the denied at the door. What was the story about that? Were you instructed to not let any past members in the venue?

More tabloid bullshit! Someone at the House of Blues said they saw Slash the night before and he said he was gonna come down. It made Axl a little uncomfortable so Dougie decided to not allow Slash passes. He could’ve come and relaxed in the back. Slash milks that store too.

14. The Chicago Sun-Times has recently reported that Axl is going to check himself in to a psychiatric clinic due to exhaustion and other emotional problems. Is that true, and if so, do you have to hang out with him in the clinic too?

….

15. Yes or no, has Earl ever:

Worn a KFC bucket on your head: Yes Bucketheads in Hong Kong.

Given Axl a bath: What do you think?

Scared a white person just for fun: Every Day!

Had sex in a Jacuzzi with a groupie: Nope. I’m always busy working

Benched 500 pounds: 475 is my best…

Had somebody throw up on you: Matt in Tel Aviv, Israel ‘91

Heard Axl talk about Metal Sludge: No, but you’ve been mentioned to Axl!

Had your own psychic advisor: Ms. Cleo

Mistaken Gilby Clarke for a fan and not let him talk to Axl: HAHAHAHA.. That’s hilarious!

Thrown somebody threw a wall or a plate glass window:

Saw Stephanie Seymour shit in a kitty litter box: That’s fucked up! Rock N’ Roll urban legend. Stephanie is too classy for that. Meow.

16. There were reports that a few members of the new Guns N Roses didn’t exactly get along. Did you ever have to break up any fights amongst band members or have to kick anybody in the nuts?

Hell yeah! All the time. I’ve pulled them all off each other over the years.

17. In the 14 years you’ve been Guns N' Roses security, what has been the scariest moment for you?

Flying to Auckland, New Zealand on the M.G.M. and hitting the worst storm you ever saw. We all thought for sure we were gonna die. I remember Gilby’s wife Daniela crying. We really thought it was the end. La Bamba style!

18. After working for Axl for 14 years, how many times has he fired and re-hired you?

2 times. Much better than everyon else…

19. You said Axl would like to pick up his FU award in person. We have parties a few times a year. Do you think Axl would like to be a guest at our next Metal Sludge Extravaganza in Los Angeles? We're sure we could arrange to have a ceremony and have a few of our fine Sludgettes hand it to him personally if that's what he really wants.

Don’t get your Hopes up! Not likely…

20. You used to play professional football. What teams did you play for and what’s more difficult, scoring a touchdown or getting Axl Rose to go on stage?

I played for the Raiders and 49ers. I played defense, never got a touchdown! But football’s harder…. Sometimes!

21. Do you believe Chinese Democracy will ever be released before we all die of old age?

It will come out and it will be worth the wait. Best Guns in a long time!

22. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.

Riki Rachtman: Skateboarder now, old friend of Axl. Not the smartest guy I ever met.

Kurt Loder: 2 faced

Doug Goldstein: Great manager, close friend. Wonderful businessman.

Alice Cooper: Dear friend, won’t let me pay at his restaurants, great golfer. I lost 400.00 to him 2 years ago!

Slash: I wish him well. Lots of fond memories.

CKY: Up and comers…

Lars Ulrich: Short, whiny, balding cupcake that would sue his won father for downloading.

Sebastian Bach: Out of control

Tommy Lee: Embarrassing himself musically….

Vince Neil: Time for detox maybe

Del James: Heart of gold… Unbelievable writer. Great soul that I care deeply about.

Thanks for your time. Come see the show yourself. Form your own opinion.

Thanks again.

Earl Gabbidon

• Thanks 1

that could be good news, but remember there is no official statement neither by Axl or GnR Management, until that happens i will be satisfied.  as much as I really want to hear good news he is Axl's staff, and maybe what he answered was supervised by GnR management, but this interview still is not official. :-/

I still want to know what really happend with the cancelled tour, Id like to know what's going on with clearchannel. with chinese democracy release.

oooh sh*t! It says "Page was no found" when I go there. I even tried to open metal-sludge.com first, but that did not work either! Could someone please sum up the most important sentences in the text for me? That would be great!

Axl Rose's Personal Bodyguard Earl Gabbidon

METAL SLUDGE, MY NAME IS EARL, AND IM SURE YOU KNOW WHO I AM. DOUG GOLDSTEIN TOLD ME ABOUT ALL YOUR INTERESTING COMMENTARY ON AXL AND THE ENTIRE SITUATION INVOLVING CLEAR CHANNEL REGARDING THE CHINESE DEMOCRACY WORLD TOUR.

YOU PRINT THESE BULLSHIT E MAILS THAT BORED, UGLY 13 YEAR OLDS SEND IN. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. AND AS FAR AS YOUR F.U.AWARD AXL WOULD LOVE TO ACCEPT IT IN PERSON. SO PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW AXL CAN PICK UP HIS"PRESTIGIOUS AWARD...OR ILL BE HAPPY TO PICK IT UP FOR HIM!

CLEARCHANNEL ISNT THE ONLY PROMOTER...BEAVER IS OFFERING HUGE MONEY.....WELL BE BACK OUT SOON!......COUNT ON IT...

KEEP THE NEGATIVITY COMING..IT FUELS AXL.......EARL GABBIDON, G N R' SECURITY

1. What are you currently up to?

....were on hold temporarily while we regroup and see what the $$ folks have to offer. axl has been looking forward to this tour for 5 years now. well be back!

2. How did you get started being a bodyguard and what other artists have you worked with?

i started doing security in arizona locally and it turned into a nice living! theres nothing better than liking your job! ive also worked for PRINCE, MADONNA, WILL SMITH, THE STONES

3. Being that you are Axl’s bodyguard, are you with him even when he’s off the road? Are you at his call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?

axl and i are very close, he knows he can ask me for anything 24 hours a day and id be happy to do it, but yes technically im on call 24/7

5. The last of Earl:

Last time you had to beat somebody’s ass = GUNS/METALLICA SUMMER STADIUM TOUR. SOMEONE WALKED OFF WITH DUFF'S TOUR JACKET.

Last time you wanted to beat Axl’s ass = HAHAHA...I PLEAD THE 5TH!!!!

Last CD you purchased = ROLLING STONES, LICKS CD!

Last celebrity you met = PAUL MCCARTNEY AT THE L.A.FORUM, ME AND AXL WENT TO HIS SHOW..AMAZING!

Last sporting even you went to = SOME BASKETBALL GAME?..CANT REMEBER WHERE OR WHEN?

Last movie you saw = THE TUXEDO, JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT!

Last time you got a raise from Axl = AXL'S VERY GENEROUS, IM FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO BE ON RETAINER, SO MY PAY FLUCTUATES, BUT LIKE I SAID AXL IS A WONDERFUL, GENEROUS GUY.

Last time you punched an autograph seeker = NOT MY STYLE!I TRY TO PREVENT VIOILENCE

Last time you worked out at a gay gym with Axl =

Last time you took advantage of a groupie = WHERES MY ITINERARY?

6. When you’re on the road with Guns N Roses, what’s a typical day like for you? Give us a breakdown of your daily duties?

...WAKE AROUND 7 A.M., EAT BREAKFAST, SHOWER. CALL MGMT AND GET AXLS DAILY GRIND LIST. WAKE AXL, DO PRESS, OR GO TO THE STUDIO,..ON THE ROAD WAKE, EAT, PRESS, GO SHOPPING OR TO THE GYM WITH AXL, THEN GO TO VENUE, DO SHOW, LEAVE FOR NEXT CITY.-MAKE SURE ALL OF AXLS STUFF MAKES IT TO THE PLANE. AND OFF WE GO!!!!!!!!

12. Other than Axl, what rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?

VINCE NEIL......FOR RUNNING HIS MOUTH A DECADE LATER ABOUT HIS FEUD WITH AXL, AS THEY SAY "GET IN THE RING MOTHER FUC*@R!

15. Yes or no, has Earl ever:

Worn a KFC bucket on your head = YES BUCKETHEADS IN HONG KONG

Given Axl a bath = WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Scared a white person just for fun = EVERY DAY!

Had sex in a Jacuzzi with a groupie = NOPE. IM ALWAYS BUSY WORKING.

Benched 500 pounds = 475 IS MY BEST......

Had somebody throw up on you = MATT IN TEL AVIV, ISRAEL 91

Heard Axl talk about Metal Sludge = NO, BUT YOUVE BEEN MENTIONED TO AXL!

Had your own psychic advisor = MS.CLEO

Mistaken Gilby Clarke for a fan and not let him talk to Axl = HAHAHAHA..THATS HILARIOUS!

Thrown somebody threw a wall or a plate glass window =

Saw Stephanie Seymour shit in a kitty litter box = THATS FUCKED UP!......ROCK N ROLL URBAN LEGEND. STEPHANIE IS TOO CLASSY FOR THAT........"MEOW"

16. There were reports that a few members of the new Guns N Roses didn’t exactly get along. Did you ever have to break up any fights amongst band members or have to kick anybody in the nuts?

..HELL YEAH!,ALL THE TIME....IVE PULLED THEM ALL OFF EACH OTHER OVER THE YEARS.

18. After working for Axl for 14 years, how many times has he fired and re-hired you?

2 TIMES.......MUCH BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE.....

21. Do you believe “Chinese Democracy” will ever be released before we all die of old age?

IT WILL COME OUT..AND IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.......BEST GUNS IN A LONG TIME!

22. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.

Riki Rachtman = SKATEBOARDER NOW, OLD FRIEND OF AXL, NOT THE SMARTEST GUY I EVER MET.......

Kurt Loder = 2 FACED

Doug Goldstein = GREAT MANGER, CLOSE FRIEND.....WONDERFUL BUSINESS MAN

Alice Cooper = DEAR FRIEND, WONT LET ME PAY AT HIS RESTAURANTS, GREAT GOLFER......I LOST 400.00 TO HIM 2 YEARS AGO!

Slash = I WISH HIM WELL......LOTS OF FOND MEMORIES

CKY = UP AND COMERS.....

Lars Ulrich = SHORT, WHINY, BALDING cupcake THAT WOULD SUE HIS OWN FATHER FOR DOWNLOADING

Sebastian Bach = OUT OF CONTROL.

Tommy Lee = EMBARASSING HIMSELF MUSICALLY......

Vince Neil = TIME FOR DETOX MAYBE??????

Del James = HEART OF GOLD....UNBELIEVEABLE WRITER....GREAT SOUL......THAT I CARED DEEPLY ABOUT!