"Official" Reason for Tour Cancellation

Hardball

I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet.  I scrolled the threads briefly and didn't see it.  But I thought this was interesting and sounded about right.

The official word on the cancellation of the GUNS N ROSES was that Clear Channel was losing a lot of money on the lack of ticket sales. If the tour would finish they would lose around $200,000. So they wanted Axl to give up some of his money to them. Axl wouldnt so they told him they were pulling the tour after Philly. Axl said he wasnt going to do Philly then either. During the day of the Philly show Clear Channel and Axl were trying to make a compromise in NYC. The rest of the band was in Philly. Axl and Clear Channel never reached an agreement and the Philly show never happened and the tour was pulled.

http://www.smnnews.com:/

• Like 1

Clear Channel have just royally screwed themselves over. When (not IF) the album comes out there will be the huge hype again, and tour companies will be fighting over who gets to do the next GnR tour ON THE BACK OF AN ALBUM, and that WILL sell lots of tickets. IF this "Official" reason is true - sounds plausable - then I very much doubt that Axl would want to choose CC again...

see what I'm getting at??

8)

Exactly..  This tour was more like "Here I am, I'm back, look we can still kick @ss, and I need a few bucks"  When that album comes out, that tour will be the REAL tour.  I bet they are working on the album, and it will probably be released in the Spring, just in time for a big summer "sell-out" tour.  Let's hope so!

In my opinion if you are a company such as clear channel 200,000 bucks is nothing to make up.  The tour was beginning to pick up steam after a slow start.  If they couldn't come up with a more creative way to market the tour with an advertising campaign then that is their problem.   I went to the Columbus show and there was almost no promotions or advertisements concerning the show.  Most people didn't know GNR was touring.  That is CC's fault.  Besides if you sign a band to tour you honor the contract wether you make money or lose money.  You do not ask the band to give up the money they work for.  Clear channel sucks

If this is true, then I don't blame Axl for not showing in Philly.  It sounds like he was given an ultimatum.

I also agree with the people who said that CC might have done a poor job marketing it.

It's ashame it had to turn out this way.

I hope to hell this is the reason. I dont blame Axl. Wow, this is amazing..

Oh yeah, and as for the cost of tickets.. They could have made that up in merchandising if the shirts were so F**KING expensive!

60$ for a sweatshirt?! You have got to be kiddin me. It costs like 10$ to make them, if that. I would have bought 2 if they were easonably priced at around 40$

Fuck clear channel

Clear Channel should have seen the writing on the wall that the tour would lose money. The 2 small gigs at The Joint GnR did in Vegas last year were no where near sold out. How could they ever expect them to fill big arenas? Especially with no album. And lousy supporting acts. >:(

I am sure this is just speculation and rumor.  This would not happen .  CC would not ask Axl for money back if they were loosing money.  They know they wouldn't get a dime and thats silly to even think that could have happened.  If they were loosing money on the tour then they could have pulled it ,  but I'm sure this isn't the first time CC lost money on a tour and thats not the way promoters would handle it.   It happens  and  they maybe were looking for a reason to pull the plug and they found it.  Whatever that is.  There's much more to this story that we probably will never know.

SIN CITY