Whats with this hate for Hair Metal?

Civil_War

ive noticed a lot of people on the internet boards hate hair metal from the 80s. I dont understand why though. Sure they will never be as good as Guns n roses, aerosmith or led zepplin, but they didnt try to be. They were all about having fun and making fun music everyone could enjoy. Anyways i was wondering what u guys think of hair metal bands like warrant, poison, bon jovi ect....

stereotypically hair metal (or glam) has an image of guys who care for appearance and look of their band opposed to quality music. Not my opinion but a negative conatation that follows that music.... GNR is often placed under this category <_<

stereotypically hair metal (or glam) has an image of guys who care for appearance and look of their band opposed to quality music. Not my opinion but a negative conatation that follows that music.... GNR is often placed under this category <_<

what gillan said... :D

Because hair metal is an easy target for people who want to slag off a certain genre. It's popular and not too serious in its content.

I have nothing against hair metal bands, I even like some. I agree that hair metal bands are about having fun and taking the piss but some people take music too seriously and think that if a song has no "deeper meaning" or doesn't makes you think about something then it must be shit.

The early bands to come out of the hair metal scene were pretty good. Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Hanoi Rocks, LA Guns, Faster Pussycat etc. Towards the late eighties alot of the new hair metal bands were manufactured crap like Tuff, Trixter, Poison, Britny Fox, Odin, Warrant etc. Those bands made hair metal a laughing stock. Other then that, I like some hair metal music.

I love glam metal..like the early gnr stuff is awsome. Early 80's hairbands were really good..like Charisteas said, late 80's and early 90's manufactured hairbands gave a bad reputation to the genre because everybody wanted to be part of the craze. But the early glam hairbands were awsome....LA Guns, Hollywood Rose, early gnr, Hanoi Rocks, Motley,Faster Pussycat..

You have to remember that most people who bash hair metal did not grow up during the 80's. In fact, most seem to have grown up during the '90s and the grunge craze. Obviously these people will despise it.

You really had to be there I think......it wasn't serious music, it was just about having a good time.

Like any genre, hair metal had good and bad bands. Just be open minded and you can enjoy some of the stuff.

ehhh .... most hair metal sucks, agreed the earlier stuff is better, but most of it is terrible. Motley Crue is good though, I'll give you that. GN'R is sorta a hair metal band, if you go by appearance, but their sound is much different. Poison, Ratt, Warrant, etc. those type of bands are a disgrace to music.

but everyone has different opinions

GN'R is sorta a hair metal band, if you go by appearance

Aren't "hair metal" or "glam rock" bands just bands that care a lot about image, or seem to care? I don't think of it as a type of music...

I'm Okay with glam rock. I'm very open to pre-90s music... my closedness starts with the 90s and intesifies with the current decade. Just tune into any Music Video countdown - good Lord :X Hip Hop's all over the place, and not good hip hop, but the bad kind that sounds all the same. Bleh.

Okay, guess I'm the only one that likes Poison. :unsure: :confused2:

- play a lil C.C. rock4

i love glam/ hairmetal, it was just pure fun and excitement - all about Partying and having a good time, now whats there not to enjoy there. Whitesnake, Britny Fox, Ratt, Poison, Faster Pussycat, Motley, Great White, and Kix are some of my favorite bands.

It just blows, pure and simple. I would have nothing against their ridulous mullets and poodle perms if the music was cool, but it wasn't. In fact, it represents everything that's bad about music, style over substance, did these people learn nothing from bands like The Who, The Ramones, The Stones and Motorhead and practically everything that was cooler that came before them?

We owe so much, not just to Nirvana, but to bands like Faith No More, The Pixies, Husker Du, The Replacements and bands like that for coming out and killing those helmet heads with some real music B)

The main problem is that it got sooo formulaic and "accpeted" that rock fans just got fed up with it and even today it brings back painful memories , it's a genre that just got to for lack of a better word " friendly" it was "nutered-rock" by the end of the 80's IMO .

Peace GnR Nation B)

Hey i'm a big hair metal fan and think its pretty shitty how people keep going on about how it was only the look that mattered and that the music was crap, well thats unfair and wrong. :drevil:

sure you had the copycat bands who wanted to be the crue, poison and ratt hell every band on the strip did butif you look at a lot of the bands they have some kick ass ballads, some good time rock n roll songs but sadly they've been frowned upon because whiny little grunge bitch's do everything in there power to try and degrade them. :drevil:

there were some truelly classic "hair metal" bands but because of the sheer amount of them they're overlooked. The same things been happening with pop punk with Blink etc kicking it off and now you have Avril Lavign and things like Busted cashing in. in 10 or 15 years time they'll probably be lumped into the pop punk bracket. :drevil:

My final rant on this topic just now is that bands such as fucking Napalm Death and all that balls seem to get more respect even though its just a fucking noise for god sake. :drevil: