People just don't like today's music

Different styles of music, you can't turn on the TV and going to VH1 or anything with out seeing...Jay Z :unsure: or somthing. Occaionaly it will have rock but even then there specials or like when rock ruled the world. Now in our current era it's when rap pop and little rock ruled the world.

there are only a few bands that i can name individual members of from today, and those are people like Andre 3000 or Billie Joe Armstrong

some bands from today are still good, i kinda like Jet

Bono's acceptance speech at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony summed up todays music scene pretty good

Really Spud?? I didn't hear what he said. Did he say what Genesis quoted below? Haha if I am reading correctly, it could be translated as "Oh I think it's shit indeed" or something?

no, he said "i think todays music industry needs to take a hard look at itself, because if U2 came out today, they never would have gotten to were we are now"

somethin along those lines

Oh my God, did he actually say that? Because at the MTV Video Music awards which were on but a few months ago, he said this was the strongest lineup he's ever seen. The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and some other shit band he named too. LOL. What a fucking phony he is!

The Killers? Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Hives, Franz Ferdinand?

brandon flowers? karen o? howlin pelle almqvist? alex kapranos?

seriously if you're relying on the tv and the radio to give you exciting new music you dont fucking deserve the mind blowing shit thats out there brewing away and laughing at everybody.

seriously if you're relying on the tv and the radio to give you exciting new music you dont fucking deserve the mind blowing shit thats out there brewing away and laughing at everybody.

Most young people don't appreciate old music, unfortunately - and you were born on the 14th of January, 2002, so...

Edited by Nutcrazical

nice comeback mate

:lol:

And yeah, I totally agree with Mr. Fuk, there's plenty of awesome bands out there. People are just not open minded, and they just go with the idea they show everywhere: music is agonizing, there's no good music out there, blah, blah. Music era's are always like that, people that hang to the music they liked before and saying new music is shit. But there is always good music out there. You just have to look.

And I bet most people here haven't heard Hot Fuss or Antics or Your New Favourite Band or whatever cd's, just because someone said the actual scene was shit.

As Mr Fuk said, I guess you really don't deserve the new music.

nice comeback mate

:lol:

And yeah, I totally agree with Mr. Fuk, there's plenty of awesome bands out there. People are just not open minded, and they just go with the idea they show everywhere: music is agonizing, there's no good music out there, blah, blah. Music era's are always like that, people that hang to the music they liked before and saying new music is shit. But there is always good music out there. You just have to look.

And I bet most people here haven't heard Hot Fuss or Antics or Your New Favourite Band or whatever cd's, just because someone said the actual scene was shit.

As Mr Fuk said, I guess you really don't deserve the new music.

good post dude!! I couldnt agree more, it seem that a lot of people are not likeing bands cause there mates said so or the scene is that good, but as i said before, dont listen to wat youre freinds say just go youre own way.

And to whoever said kasabian are fake i also couldnt agree more! Belive me i love the music but there attitudes are fake and shit.

The Killers? Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Hives, Franz Ferdinand?

brandon flowers? karen o? howlin pelle almqvist? alex kapranos?

ok- i understand where you're coming from saying that you must go beyond tv and the radio to find good music. but still, the majority of people who claim to be interested in music get the information they know about it through television and the radio- the internet is not yet as widespread for music as you'd think...

secondly, i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but- can you honestly testify that modern music is "mindblowing?" Do you really consider anything by a band like the Hives or FF to be mindblowing? I just don't see what elements of popular indie rock-rooted music are so amazing.

lastly- isn't the whole deal with a lot of modern rock today supposed to be a play on old music? Bands with elements of "vintage rock?" That should give it away right there... that should be the first clue that the bands you hail as heros are borrowing from those of yesteryear- which of course, is fine by me- the idea is great- but the actual music that's being produced is shit!

So the following is useless, but I took some time to write it, so I'm posting it anyway.

While I was doing some chores (and ruining my hands in the process), I actually gave some thought to this topic, because obviously I'm on one of my counter-culture phases, except this time I had a new focus. Anyway:

The problem isn't the music itself, just the music scene. Mostly.

Of course, it's completely ridiculous to think that all current music is crap, because I very much doubt that Someone Up There decided to doom us with craptastic music for a decade or so. Obviously there's got to be some good music out there, maybe even some mind-blowing music, but it's just not popular.

Because what's on the charts right now isn't really amazing. But you'd think that what is on the charts should be some of the best music out there, at least 2nd rate. So either the current music is really mediocre or the people's taste has gotten really lousy lately. I'll go for the latter.

[skip this, because it's all so obvious]

Looking at the most popular artists now, one would think that people are getting more and more physically attractive. C'mon - artists before weren't this pretty! Or this young. Just last year, a 13 year old had a huge hit. Thirteen! It's mind-boggling.

Since I doubt that people are that much more pretty and talented than before, I'll guess - you know, just a wild little guess - that the people in charge of getting people contracts are basing their decisions on how physically attractive they are and how much charisma they have. Because, and here goes another big shocker:

That's what people care about now.

Or most tweens and teens, anyway. Tweens are a huge economic force... [this fact is all over the place, so it's easy to find info. on it: et voila. I feel so professional now.] ...but they aren't exactly the most unsuperficial people ever, and they'll go for artists that look cool and whose music sounds catchy.

Of course, that's just fine for tweens, but not so for people on their late teens and on. But it can't be just the tweens who are into the image of the artist rather than how unique his/her music is, because tweens aren't that powerful.

[/skip this]

So the people's tastes are getting lousier.

Now enter someone who is looking for some good music to listen to. S/he tunes into the radio and/or TV, listens and/or watches such incredible crap, s/he figures that looking for good current music is an obvious waste of time, so s/he decides to just get into retro music. Then s/he discovers all this incredible bands and solo artists, and, looking back, comes to the conclusion that music is obviously doomed unless a new Guns N' Roses, or maybe just Guns N' Roses themselves, comes to the rescue.

And then s/he comes to this thread and agrees with everyone who says music today is crap.

The end.

^^ It's what we said before, it's your own fault. It's like with everything, if you want to be a mediocre and go only with what the pop culture tells you to go with, you don't really like music. If you look only in the past, you don't deserve today's music, because instead of looking for other alternatives that still play, you only look for old bands, because that's also what pop culture tells you to do. I'm not saying old music is bad, obviously, but that you should also look for contemporary alternatives.

It's all about not being a conformist.

Edited by atto

^^ It's what we said before, it's your own fault. It's like with everything, if you want to be a mediocre and go only with what the pop culture tells you to go with, you don't really like music. If you look only in the past, you don't deserve today's music, because instead of looking for other alternatives that still play, you only look for old bands, because that's also what pop culture tells you to do. I'm not saying old music is bad, obviously, but that you should also look for contemporary alternatives.

Ah ha! I share in your beliefs although I view them from a different perspective. You mentioned not deserving new music- and you know what? That's just it! I don't- I don't deserve this crap at all- no way... To me, mainstream rock is crap... even rock that isn't mainstream that is still considered popular, in my opinion, is crap (indie rock)... so I choose to turn away. I've chosen to look backward, yes, and either rediscover old classics or unearth new "old" bands (ala black sabbath, KISS, Iron Maiden, etc.) - NOW... in my search, I have also come across a few subgenere's that base their music off of old values and ideas (for my personal fav., see http://www.stonerrock.com. These bands write music derivitive directly from their earliest influences... so, in essance, I guess it's similar to your indie/vintage rock bands that do the same thing as mine, only mine have a different edge. I don't know... I guess this discussion is ultimately deadlocked because opinions will always differ and there are so many ways to seperate bands and sounds and test them using factors not directly related to the music, i.e. their attitudes, what they look like, etc.

but you're absolutely right: I don't deserve today's music. I'm fine with that and hope for something better to come around in the meantime.

edit: something else I realized after I finished this. I don't consider myself a musical conformist in any way, shape, or form. To me, a conformist would be someone who prefers a certain style of music because it is regarded as being the most popular of all genres. I also don't consider myself to be a deliberate non-conformist... just someone who enjoys older music over newer, popular music.

Edited by there is no dana only zool

I have to say this is a very good thread, I do see ya point, I dont think there are that great of singers out there like Axl Rose or lead guitarist that can last like Slash, there needs to be another band to come out like Guns N Roses where they can rip shit up and have wicked solos!

Ah ha! I share in your beliefs although I view them from a different perspective. You mentioned not deserving new music- and you know what? That's just it! I don't- I don't deserve this crap at all- no way... To me, mainstream rock is crap... even rock that isn't mainstream that is still considered popular, in my opinion, is crap (indie rock)... so I choose to turn away. I've chosen to look backward, yes, and either rediscover old classics or unearth new "old" bands (ala black sabbath, KISS, Iron Maiden, etc.) - NOW... in my search, I have also come across a few subgenere's that base their music off of old values and ideas (for my personal fav., see http://www.stonerrock.com. These bands write music derivitive directly from their earliest influences... so, in essance, I guess it's similar to your indie/vintage rock bands that do the same thing as mine, only mine have a different edge. I don't know... I guess this discussion is ultimately deadlocked because opinions will always differ and there are so many ways to seperate bands and sounds and test them using factors not directly related to the music, i.e. their attitudes, what they look like, etc.

but you're absolutely right: I don't deserve today's music. I'm fine with that and hope for something better to come around in the meantime.

edit: something else I realized after I finished this. I don't consider myself a musical conformist in any way, shape, or form. To me, a conformist would be someone who prefers a certain style of music because it is regarded as being the most popular of all genres. I also don't consider myself to be a deliberate non-conformist... just someone who enjoys older music over newer, popular music.

But that's what I'm saying. It wasn't directed at you, if you don't like indie, whatever, but there's people that just don't look. You like stoner, and it's still music getting made today, it's music that you don't see being played that much over the media, almost no exposure compared to pop. But there's people that don't look at all. That's what I was saying about conformists.

And yeah, conformists are people just locked to whatever musical tendencies because they're popular or they're told they're cool and they don't even really like it. They're people that just don't look beyong the popular music, and just go to the old music, without even giving a try with some of the music being made today.

There's music today that's awesome, I really don't get how people don't like it. I still think there's always a good band for everyone out there now. Just fucking look.

Edited by atto

Looking at the most popular artists now, one would think that people are getting more and more physically attractive. C'mon - artists before weren't this pretty! Or this young. Just last year, a 13 year old had a huge hit. Thirteen! It's mind-boggling.

now now, if were taking into account bands mentioned before like the killers and the kaiser chiefs, they're absoloutely arse end ugly.

and yissss these bands sound like bands before them, every band can be compared to another in the mainstream, it doesnt stop it from being any good though as long as its not absoloutely fucking blatant

simple really

- mainstream has always been watered down with shite, but there's always been summat good thats crossed over now and again, a band like interpol just keep getting bigger, par example.

- underground/semi underground is where the good stuff lies. a band like oxes, lightning bolt, make believe, mates of state, can come over here and pretty much sell out every venue they play (within reason of course), same goes with whenever they're in america, because people have finally figured out you dont need vhfucking1 or mtv to cater for good music, and bands like these are making absoloutely fucking original music in interesting ways like no one has befo', good music has always been there, if you want more 'kick ass guitar solos' and such, go to your local and check out the 15 year olds who agree with you while they're murdering nighttrain.

its there, look and ye shall find.

i like some of the music out, some bands have a couple good tunes, i lean, i'm just open to whatever music as long as i think there's talent and its original... it would be nice however to see a new band come out with the whole package, great frontlan, lyrics guitarists, everything...

we might be waiting, there are a lot of really good bands out there, a band dosent have to be around 20years to be good, New Found Glory or Hoobastank or The Used are all really good bands rock3 ...

now now, if were taking into account bands mentioned before like the killers and the kaiser chiefs, they're absoloutely arse end ugly.

I was just watching a The Killers video, and they're not ugly! But you were being sarcastic, right, unless they used actors to play them on the Mr.Brightside video, like how someone did for the "Everybody Dance Now" (that's how the chorus went, anyway) video...

*makes a big fuss*

I came here just to say that. But,

i think theyre shit live, saw them on TV, the dude couldnt hold the tune... i had to change the channel..

Yeah, I saw them on the VMAs, I think, and couldn't stand it either. Jet was there too, and they sounded nifty (Are You Gonna Be My Girl? is such a fun song and video..), but Hoobastank was as awful as their name would suggest. :X "And wreason is yooooo" is not hard to sing. What a lousy vocalist.