Rap/Hip Hop music

swlabr

Through out the forums, many people (not gonna name anyone) have taken the liberty to bash rap/hip hop music. Why?! I find hip hop to be art in its own form. Have you people ever heard of Nas? Awesome, even poetic song writing! I gotta admit...the new stuff is shit. Like 50 Cent, TI and the list goes on! I understand if rap isn't your type of music. You are entitled to your opinions (according to the 1st amendment). I just think that this type of music should be appreciated and looked at as art like the way we look at Gn'R! ;)

Later...

EDIT: Bash me all you want! I can care less B)

Edited by War_Pig

I'm not a big Hip Hop fan at all, but i do like quite alot of Rap music, there are some big rap/hip hop fans on the board. Mr Spoon comes to mind just now.

I like alot of the Shady/Aftermath stuff, D12 World is one of the finest rap albums of recent times. I listen to it quite alot. 'Loyal to the Game' was a great album, only one more to go :(

Rap continues to become more and more popular. The rap/hip hop situation mirrors what is happening with rock bands at the moment. Teenagers (13/14 etc) are liking older acts, Coolio, 2pac (RIP) etc, as they are liking IM, GnR etc and i think that's great :)

R.

rap + hip hop just does not affect me in a positive way. i found growing up (coz i iz black!) that i was supposed to be into it and all that shit... but if i ever purchased their albums i was sorely disappointed. personally i only ever liked a few tracks by snopp dogg, tupac, nas, mase... and to my ears i could never take all the 'foul' :rolleyes: language! but in rock music it doesnt bother me a bit...

i just can't stand the point of references and the culture surrounding it... 'gangsta' <_<

anyway i've found a good song transcends genres etc... i just find the current 'bling' 'naked woman rubbing my jewels' trend - boring as fuck.... JMHO

rock3

I dislike rap. A lot.

All I see it as is people talking faster than normal and having a beat behind it. Especially the new stuff. I do like some of the hip hop/rap back in the early '90s, thats when I think that the lyrics and beat were actually good. I don't see rap music as being songs because the lyrics these days are shit (I think) and the rappers sorta sellouts now. As you said before Estranged, newer fans are liking old material. But the old rap 'songs' blow the shit out of the new ones.

I can honestly say that I liked Deep Cover by Snoop Dogg. I think that and 'California Love' are the best two rap songs ever.

Guest Conga Fissure

I d'like quite as much as rock n roll b'cus :

+ vocally inhibiting. One constant tone for a whole album ? Natural chest voice thru every lyric. Axl/Perry Farrell used raps in rare flow. One 20-second part for rap, usually w/ varying tones compensated for such inhibitions. Rap lyrics can sometimes surpass/equate to rock n roll lyrics but predominately- seem to have the same ideals except w/ a cultural taste (which like b'cus alt.). Anti-Bush cock, love - same fabricated stylings crafted by every wrist cut rock band or ANY rock n roll band, really.

+ music is bore. "Music" can be forks bang rythym on table top. So many varied pieces of aural stimulation can be categorized under term. But rap has the trademark of "THE BEAT". In early-90s pop workings, NWA n Run DMC sounded raw, quintessential to genre a la Rolling Stones to blues rock n roll. THE MUSIC, tho, so limiting. Drum rythyms are well placed but the compositions are unimaginative. Whereas rock n roll (tho obviously now can be defined as unambitious) integrates several diff. instruments contributing to a constant rythym and tempo change w/ guitar, piano, drum, bass fusing into an organic piece. Able to be recreated in live atmosphere without a tape or record on "Max. Vol". Now effects w/ keyboards, electric distortion, etc. may contradict this - but I see as the superlative in live environments. Varying tones by singer n several instruments amalgamating to the quality of the song. Where rap is man rhyming w/ the TRITE chest talk fused w/ electronic remixes creating "track". I like techno, the ambitious kind like Crystal Method, techno = rap really in the American fabrication of both. Some techno/electronica integrates instruments for 8 min.+ w/ NO VOCALS. Yet keeps mind entranced w/ song.

Rap n Hip-Hop are alt. genres n I like. But not for a 14-track CD. This is exhibited by the "Singles" sales raping every Raccoon "Bush is Cock" anthem into a dirt lay. But "Albums" = favor'd to rock. The charts tell. 50 Cent's CD is doing quite nicely but no ALBUM sales having the same efficient rape of the Raccoon who is still direly clutching hole of pinched squeeze (from "Singles").

The Final Text Send : Rap is excellent when in sparse form contrasting rock n roll's organics. But NOT for a 60 min. album of man rhyming w/ DRUM Vs. 5 Raccoons w/ instruments.

Edited by Bongo Chasm

There's some good rap out there. Eminem's last album, much as it pains me to admit it, was a masterpiece. It had some REALLY quality songs. Qualo - a local Chicago group that you will be hearing from soon - are really good. I saw them open for an Israeli funk band at the house of blues and they were incredible. Really fun stuff. Check em out if you can.

me,i am more of a rap fan than GNR, i have to admit that.

i listened to rap earlier, and i always will prefer rap over rock. that isn't meant in any disrespect to GNR, i love that band...

Rap Music (especially 2Pac) has given me more than anybody/ any kind of music can ever give.

I feel like 2Pacs lyrics raised me more than my parents (Keep your head up showed me how to "handle" with women). his words gave me hope in bad times, and when i was in anger i felt like he knows how i feel (Hit em up)...

unfortunatly today, successfull rapmusic is mostly pure bullshit (50 cent, J-Kwon, TI, Young Buck and so on...)

but if you dig a little bit behind the surface,you see rappers, who have intelligent lyrcs again, for example Immortal Technique, a NY rapper, i like him a lot, he is very against bush btw...

for me, my favourits artists ever are:

2Pac

Guns N Roses

you see, i rank GNR over every other rapper, and 2Pac for me,is much more than rapper, he is a brother and a friend for me (now is that cheesy :D ).

i can truely understand how people can dislike Rap today...it's because that every rapper nowadays doesn't look if he can make good lyrics and rap properly, no, it's more important to have a special amout of bullet scars, huge pants and some kind of ridiculous hats ( can i call these condoms on their heads hats?)

watching rapvideos on MTV today is pretty embarassing imo.

In early-90s pop workings, NWA n Run DMC sounded raw, quintessential to genre a la Rolling Stones to blues rock n roll.

As pretentious as your post was, this just tipped the scales. You obviously have no idea about hip-hop. First off, you only commented on conventional mainstram hip-hop with the addition of some big-name old-school groups (to give yourself some credibility, I imagine).

Let's look at producers like RJD2/DJ Shadow/Controller 7/Neptunes/Madlib/Timbaland/El-P/Dr. Dre (Post-NWA, as well). Now tell me their beats are basic/boring compared to those staggering three-chord-progression-based pop songs that are considered Rock'N'Roll classics.

Even the complement you made makes me question your entire understanding of musical-theory itself. "Drum rythyms are well placed"? The hip-hop you described usually has a 4/4 beat THAT THE RAPPER RAPS OVER. Absolutely no imagination is needed for drum placement. Especially when the producing aspects are done over computer software, click-and-dragging the mouse is the extent of its difficulty.

I think you love reading your own posts, because you posted a whole bunch of nonsense.

P.S. The Rolling Stones are to Blues Rock, what Conor Oberst is to Singer/Songwriters.

Guest Conga Fissure

A text challenge ?

First off, you only commented on conventional mainstram hip-hop with the addition of some big-name old-school groups (to give yourself some credibility, I imagine).

Yes,"POP". ;)

In early-90s pop workings

B'cus no artist in hip-hop have my interest. If pop rap acts d'not interest...why scrounge for obscurities ?

Let's look at producers like RJD2/DJ Shadow/Controller 7/Neptunes/Madlib/Timbaland/El-P/Dr. Dre (Post-NWA, as well). Now tell me their beats are basic/boring compared to those staggering three-chord-progression-based pop songs that are considered Rock'N'Roll classics.

WHICH pop songs ? By whom ? :drevil: C'not compare w/ general term....do you cite Led Zepplin ? I have heard NWA (listened to the "POP BOMB" LP), I found to be a bromidic album of tasteless coffee.

I like the varying tones and instrumentals rock n roll exhibits. THE RYTHYMS!!

Analyze Jane's Addiction- integrating horns, keyboard, sax, bongos (drums of all kinds, really), bass guitar + the ELECTRIC GUITAR, centrical in most Jane's material. All of these in a resplendent concomittant relationship w/ Perry Farrell's incredible range. NOW!! This Vs. "I ryhme w/ my chest voice...AND I HAVE BEATS!" :lol:

Even the complement you made makes me question your entire understanding of musical-theory itself. "Drum rythyms are well placed"? The hip-hop you described usually has a 4/4 beat THAT THE RAPPER RAPS OVER. Absolutely no imagination is needed for drum placement.

"well placed " = a complimentive rythym to rapper's chest talk. Dueling rythyms entrance listener - yes ? The freed kinetics of THE CHIN DIP NOD !

P.S. The Rolling Stones are to Blues Rock, what Conor Oberst is to Singer/Songwriters

I assume this implies I am wrong ? :lol:

Rolling Stones, in my spectrum of taste ARE blues. I do not excavate music I am not interested in. My ROCK N ROLL! What inclines more to a conventional stereotypical blues rock n roll band ? : Rolling Stones or Megadeth ? I have not tapped such cavern to better fight my text battles (not implying you type while correlating hands' alternating keys w/ "The Encyclopedia of Music Vol. I" on the 2nd browser :lol: ). I s'pose I appear ignorant. Yet I can FILE IGNORANCE against your TEXT ! AHAHAAH !!! I must have shallow tastes compared to your knowledge based on envenomed spake. I prefer obscure trance artists integrating rock n roll organics + techno remix. THAT is my depth. I d'not listen to pacify impending unknowns. Content w/ CD case now. I have heard rap tracks - my ears did not smile. End. I am not forgiving to unpleasant aural dines

I think you love reading your own posts, because you posted a whole bunch of nonsense.

Do I not correlate w/ your product of mental chemistry + env. influence ?

As pretentious as your post was

AHHAHAH! Perception + relativism consume your self-gratifying catapult-text pieces. :wub:

Tho relativism quite likes the sapor of my cremed rear pinch. :confused:

edit'd : my quoting is DISGUISTING. Think the code has deceased. AT LEAST SMILIES!!

Edited by Bongo Chasm

I gotta defend my home boy Bongo here! I also think of the Rolling Stones as "Blues-Rock." And his post, yes very confusing, but dont hate just because he knows what hes talking about. Trust me, when it comes to music, Bongo knows alot!

Later B)

i like some rap like Run-DMC, Sugarhill Gang, Public Enemy and a lot of other early rap

stuff like 50 cent and all that 'gansta' crap is just annoying

bands like Public Enemy stood for something, 50 cents songs are about chicks and getting shot

I like some rap. Tupac, Public Enemy, Snoop Dogg (earlier years), Dr. Dre.. I think rap is pretty good at times.

Rap, like all music, has taken a turn for the worse and now has crap like 50 cent and people that have no creativity or musicianship. I don't know why people hate on it. Sure, the basic concept is pretty crappy, but it poses no threat to the rock world, and in fact, its a completely separate entity. Same reason I don't understand why people get so worked up over pop acts like Britney Spears. Worry about your own kind of music getting trashed, with acts like Simple Plan, if somebody else wants to make crappy music that has nothing to do with rock (if you're a rock-only person), then whats the big freaking deal? I understand if some group comes along that just REALLY pisses you off, but to hate on the whole genre so rabidly as people currently do? Thats just close-minded.

I thought it was genious once rap and hip-hop merged. Hence, Run-DMC & Aerosmith and Public Enemy & Anthrax. The music world should revolutionize and merge once again! Of course with a decent hip-hop artist (Nas, Immortal Technique, Wu-Tang) :rolleyes:

hmm... rap.... as a gnr fan i admit... i used to lkike rap and i switched to being a metalhead. call me a poser all you want, im used to it. everyone at school knows me as a poser

I used to like a little bit of rap then it became this "gangster 50 cent, i pop a cap in your ass, i got shot more than you and survived" shit its fucking annoying and you can't even call rap music, its just rhyming words together

Nice to see you posting again NikkiSixxIsABassGuru B)

Rap is stupid, i can't stand the annoying beats to it and all the other annoying stuff like constantly making fun of white people :chef:

Yeah they have complexes of white ppl,and white rappers of black.I mean :lol:

And they don't have melody line,no sensitive lyrics,right attitude(they think killin' and gangsta talk is cool),no scream in the night,or hell0raising drums,or screetchin guitars,nor rock/leather regalia.

Just to name a few reasons ;)

i love the hip hop me, ive got a bit of kmd on as we type.

no scream in the night,or hell0raising drums,or screetchin guitars,nor rock/leather regalia.

errrr because its a different style of music maybe? its hip hop, not frigging whitesnake.

How dare you put the "MUSIC" next to the words "RAP" and "HIP HOP"!

:anger:

I totally agree here. Rap isn't music it is words rhymed together with a chaotic beat that anyone and their uncle can do, and what pisses me off is when rappers steal people's beats like that "let's go" using crazy train and Vanilla Ice using queen and P.Diddy using Kashim <_< But its understandable when they don't have any creativity and all they have is a rhyming dictionary by there side. Not saying all rap is bad(theres some old school rap i like) but this whole gangster Rap shit is ruining MTV and polluting the radios with complete Shit.

On another note me and my freind were talking about rock music at school when these two black people(not stereotyping or i would have said wiggers) came up to us and said "rock n roll stars have no talent all they do is scream" and im like "no they don't, they can actually sing better than any rapper and have more musical talent" and they say "its so easy to do rock but with rap you have to mix beats and shit" and i replied "ever try playing the guitar?" and they said "oh thats easy you just move your fingers around, rapping is so much harder" Wow thats being ignorant fucks for you <_<:anger: