Rap/Hip Hop music

swlabr

The last good hip hop came from Public Enemy.Since then new rap "artists" have destroyed what was good about it.I could care less about it being popular the last few years because I realize that, like every other form of music, the kids will lose interest (which has already started)and something else will take it's place. Decrease in popularity is the best thing that can happen to rap because that means less control over it

A text challenge ?
First off, you only commented on conventional mainstram hip-hop with the addition of some big-name old-school groups (to give yourself some credibility, I imagine).

Yes,"POP". ;)

In early-90s pop workings

B'cus no artist in hip-hop have my interest. If pop rap acts d'not interest...why scrounge for obscurities ?

Let's look at producers like RJD2/DJ Shadow/Controller 7/Neptunes/Madlib/Timbaland/El-P/Dr. Dre (Post-NWA, as well). Now tell me their beats are basic/boring compared to those staggering three-chord-progression-based pop songs that are considered Rock'N'Roll classics.

WHICH pop songs ? By whom ? :drevil: C'not compare w/ general term....do you cite Led Zepplin ? I have heard NWA (listened to the "POP BOMB" LP), I found to be a bromidic album of tasteless coffee.

I like the varying tones and instrumentals rock n roll exhibits. THE RYTHYMS!!

Analyze Jane's Addiction- integrating horns, keyboard, sax, bongos (drums of all kinds, really), bass guitar + the ELECTRIC GUITAR, centrical in most Jane's material. All of these in a resplendent concomittant relationship w/ Perry Farrell's incredible range. NOW!! This Vs. "I ryhme w/ my chest voice...AND I HAVE BEATS!" :lol:

Even the complement you made makes me question your entire understanding of musical-theory itself. "Drum rythyms are well placed"? The hip-hop you described usually has a 4/4 beat THAT THE RAPPER RAPS OVER. Absolutely no imagination is needed for drum placement.

"well placed " = a complimentive rythym to rapper's chest talk. Dueling rythyms entrance listener - yes ? The freed kinetics of THE CHIN DIP NOD !

P.S. The Rolling Stones are to Blues Rock, what Conor Oberst is to Singer/Songwriters

I assume this implies I am wrong ? :lol:

Rolling Stones, in my spectrum of taste ARE blues. I do not excavate music I am not interested in. My ROCK N ROLL! What inclines more to a conventional stereotypical blues rock n roll band ? : Rolling Stones or Megadeth ? I have not tapped such cavern to better fight my text battles (not implying you type while correlating hands' alternating keys w/ "The Encyclopedia of Music Vol. I" on the 2nd browser :lol: ). I s'pose I appear ignorant. Yet I can FILE IGNORANCE against your TEXT ! AHAHAAH !!! I must have shallow tastes compared to your knowledge based on envenomed spake. I prefer obscure trance artists integrating rock n roll organics + techno remix. THAT is my depth. I d'not listen to pacify impending unknowns. Content w/ CD case now. I have heard rap tracks - my ears did not smile. End. I am not forgiving to unpleasant aural dines

I think you love reading your own posts, because you posted a whole bunch of nonsense.

Do I not correlate w/ your product of mental chemistry + env. influence ?

As pretentious as your post was

AHHAHAH! Perception + relativism consume your self-gratifying catapult-text pieces. :wub:

Tho relativism quite likes the sapor of my cremed rear pinch. :confused:

edit'd : my quoting is DISGUISTING. Think the code has deceased. AT LEAST SMILIES!!

I never said that the Rolling Stones were not Blues Rock, however, the importance you attached to them was indeed pretentious.

And please stop writing like you were just let out of your grade 12 Creative Writing class. Your zany and fun and/or loveable incoherent sentences cannot compensate for your shallow personality or hide your primitive opinions.

It's like I'm sifting through pots of someone who has a guilty pleasure of indulging in the thesaurus. I'm not claiming that you do, however, you must realize how you butcher the english language.

Now, back to the hip-hop discussion.

Kiss, AC/DC, U2, The Beatles, etc. are not exactly technically-proficient artists. Whilst, I'm not implying the product is weak, but learning the software to sample and arrange beats is more challenging than the bar chords and little scale-doodling used by these "legendary" pop-rock bands.

Now, I can list several rappers that write lyrics eons beyond Jane's Addiction, Led Zepplin (though, most people know Robert Plant's lyrics were a joke), or most of your favourites.

BTW, your lack of theoretical knowledge only continues to shine. Especially when you're impressed with horns and bongos. I'll let you in on a little secret. I can write a pop song with hundreds of different obscure instruments, just based on the fact that I play piano. It does not mean I'm some sort of Mozart.

Edited by Raincoats

How dare you put the "MUSIC" next to the words "RAP" and "HIP HOP"!

:anger:

and what pisses me off is when rappers steal people's beats like that "let's go" using crazy train and Vanilla Ice using queen and P.Diddy using Kashim <_<

Did anyone notice that Eminem took "Dream On" for that song he did called, "sing for the moment".....Well, he at least took the chorus

Edited by metallica1

hmm... rap.... as a gnr fan i admit... i used to lkike rap and i switched to being a metalhead. call me a poser all you want, im used to it. everyone at school knows me as a poser

Axl likes some rap too, he's tried his hand at it himself.

I thought it was genious once rap and hip-hop merged. Hence, Run-DMC & Aerosmith and Public Enemy & Anthrax.

Sure you weren't meant to write 'rock' somewhere in there?

Call me shit, but I don't listen to any myself.

Oh yeah...woops :lol:

As some have stated. Rap/Hip Hop for me was only good when it first debuted. There was a time when most Rap/Hip Hop artists seemed to actually put some effort and meaning into writing their lyrics, RUN DMC, 2 pac, etc. But now, it's just pure shit, and there's really nobody left that impresses me at all. But hell, that's the way I feel with Rock now too. There's nobody left that can really blow me away with their lyrics or riffs either. Music in general sucks these days.

i too liked rap way back in the good ol' days. :D

But now, it's not musci anymore, it's more like a market,a place for fast cash, and nobody always wants to hear about how many hoe's they got or how much money they have, there's no depth to it. Everything's become about image. Hopefully, the market will slow down and re-generate itself to be something more appealing, before it goes in the dump. ;)

Some stuff is cool , old stuff from the late 70's and early eighties when it was more "musical" and actually had some thing to say and everyone had thier own style unlike today where everyone s a carbon-copy of what sells .

Peace GnR Nation B)

Any one heard of Nas? He's great. And for a time where rap is all about Sex, Drugs, and Violence...he's stuck to his roots. Another good artist that has stuck to the hip/hop roots is Talib Kweli. Both great artists B)

Any one heard of Nas? He's great. And for a time where rap is all about Sex, Drugs, and Violence...he's stuck to his roots. Another good artist that has stuck to the hip/hop roots is Talib Kweli. Both great artists B)

i agree.

"Stillmatic" is my favourite Nas album, but i can't understand all the excitement about "Illmatic"...they even released a 10 Years Anniversary special edition of that album :blink: *cough* sell out *cough* ;)

Edited by Spoon87

I use to really like Rap music but it all sounds the same now. I like 2pac, Ice Cube etc but today's rappers annoy me. I hate eminem and 50 cent and the less said about Dizzee Rascal the better.

Through out the forums, many people (not gonna name anyone) have taken the liberty to bash rap/hip hop music. Why?! I find hip hop to be art in its own form. Have you people ever heard of Nas? Awesome, even poetic song writing! I gotta admit...the new stuff is shit. Like 50 Cent, TI and the list goes on! I understand if rap isn't your type of music. You are entitled to your opinions (according to the 1st amendment). I just think that this type of music should be appreciated and looked at as art like the way we look at Gn'R! ;)

Later...

EDIT: Bash me all you want! I can care less B)

I agree with you it isnt too bad, but I only like Eminem and Bone Thugs, no I dont own there albums dont be ridicous! My brotehr listens to them and u pick up on there songs, others like 50 cent and what not are wannabes! wannabes gone bad! I dont think 50 cent has had anything good come out his music is crap. Eminem is someone who has the goods, hes music is the best in rap ive herd, Bone thugs have some good songs as well, but I dont listen to them just my opinion

I don't care for rap. To me it is just hard to listen to. Half of the time I can't understand what they are saying :blink: The majority of rap songs that I can actually understand are usually all about the same things. <_< But I respect all rap and hip hop artists because they do what they like doing and sing or rap about what they know. Even though I don't care for it, a lot of others do and as long as they keep selling records and giving the fans what they want, all power to 'em! B)

Edited by -leah-

I personally don't like a whole lot of rap anymore, but I did used to like 2pac(who has sold more albums since he died then when he was alive, go figure), Snoop, Dre & Biggie. Unfortunatley, "artists" like Nelly & 50 cent have put rap right down in the crapper and I think it's a shame.

In my opinion, rap is alright. I don't listen to a lot of it, but there are a quite a few rap/hip hop songs that I do like. I think that other people should respect other's opinions on music, and it's apparent that many people on this board do not. Rap is put down for no reason, other than to look cool by some people, while those same people get very offended when someone criticizes Metallica, or some other band they like.