Gwen Stefani

Rick

Which do you prefer?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll go for her work with no doubt. Some great songs there.

Her solo stuff, well, WYWF was a good pop tune however the two follow up singles are dire, particulary 'Hollaback Girl'. It's awful

Thoughts please.

R.

Her work in No Doubt was great , but i can't enjoy what she does in solo . Something has changed , she had certains characteristics that i liked , but she showed them in a soft way , now is too much . I see this in the songs and the videos, her new videos are awful in my opinion

Edited by love&hates

Cool topic! :D

Well... I like them both.

Its hard to compare them .. they are so different.

No Doubt is fucking amazing of course. And No Doubt are planning on putting out a new record in a few years or so, so its not like Gwen left them (just to make that clear). No Doubt has had many albums.. all of them different and unique in their own special way. If you listen to stuff like Beacon Street its incredible, pure ska. I think thats probably my favorite type of vocals as far as how Gwen sings. She has a great vibrato, which unfortunatley she doesn't use anymore really- not even with ND. Tragic Kingdom is one of my favorite albums of all time. That was probably their most powerful record. Songs like "Don't Speak" and "Just a Girl" are classic. The album is so diverse. It still has its ska roots but they branch out more to have a more pop and rock sound- depending on which song you are talking about.

Rock Steady was most similar to Gwen's solo stuff. Rock Steady was their very upbeat happy dance type album. Gwen said she wanted to make songs she could dance to at a club on that record. She was heading in her dance direction with that album.

Same with L.A.M.B.

Its supposed to be a fun guilty pleasure dance album.

A lot of people critized it and stuff and critized her for "leaving" No Doubt and selling out. Which isn't even true. While No Doubt were taking a break Gwen did this solo project as just something on the side. The purpose was to make something different (she wanted something like what she listened to when she was growing up- 80s pop like Lisa lisa and the Cult Jam and Prince). She also wanted to work with a lot of people on this record.

I like most of her songs on her solo album, not all of them.

I particularly love Hollaback Girl though. The video is so cool too.

And its a cute song "Bananas!" lol. Its just a very cool fun song.

I'm probably biased cuz I love everything Gwen does though. Her voice is really soothing and pretty.. so I love anything that has her vocals on it.

No Doubt definitley makes technically better music. What Gwen did is totally separate and different so I don't compare the two. But I'm happy she put out this album, I listen to it all the time.

No Doubt atleast had some decent songs, but her solo career is complete garbage!! She gets Pharrel to write her lame song "Holla Back Girl" and I swear everytime I hear that fuckin Bananas part at the end I feel like hanging myself! :anger: And what the hell is Gwen's obsession with chinese women, there in almost all of her videos.

Edited by GnRmaniac

No Doubt atleast had some decent songs, but her solo career is complete garbage!! She gets Pharrel to write her lame song "Holla Back Girl" and I swear everytime I hear that fuckin Bananas part at the end I feel like hanging myself! :anger: And what the hell is Gwen's obsession with chinese women, there in almost all of her videos.

Hey the bananas part is pure genious!

And they aren't Chineses... they are Japanese. But I agree they get really annoying. I don't really mind them in her video or as back up dancers but they follow her around everywhere- like even in interviews and stuff. Its just a gimmick.

Hollaback Girl is such a cool video though. Gwen looks gorgeous in it- as usual. :)

The song is actually to Courtney Love. ;)

Weird how Gwen hates Courtney.. while Axl hated Kurt. Hmm.

I don't care what anyone says, she makes some damn catchy tunes when working as a solo artist. I wouldn't find myself listening to her personally, just not my taste in music, but those tunes she brought out recently are damn good pop tunes.

As for No Doubt, I guess I never got into them much either, but they were/are good. I'd probably rate No Doubt ahead of her solo work in terms of creative music but she's to be admired as a solo artist aswell.

Definetely the stuff with no doubt, but i don't really like the solo stuff except Hollaback Girl(The shit is bananas :lol: ) but yea on another note shes really fucking hot :wub:

she's so legy in that video, as she is in the rich girl video swinging from that anchor.. :heart: