The Mighty Rearranger!

stevGNR666

Picked it up today...first day it came out here in the US and i'd have to say that it's the best solo album Plant's ever done. It's a good mix of riff-rock/african minor keys and beats/dreamy celtic ballads. Very innovative by Robert to put in the African influence...I knew he'd been dabbling with it since 66 to timbuktu but didn't expect an entire album fueled by it...but nonetheless it comes out excellent and DIFFERENT, which is something quite desireable.

Now, song by song breakdown...

1.Another Tribe...a decent fast paced opener with cool drums and excellent vocals...best since led zep days for him in my opinion

2.Shine it All Around...a radio favorite around here...not a good representation or *standout hit* of the album...but a good single yet somewhat repetitious at points.

3.Freedom Fries...a short one, but a short ROCKER...kinda like black dog with the riff...this song rocks the hardest on the entire album and it's a dissapointment that they stopped the tape as early as they did because the band started going off into a jam... :)

4.Tin Pan Valley...a song very much in the same vein as What is And What should never Be for all you Zep fans...Quiet verses but HOLY HELL does that chorus rock!

5.All the King's Horses...A celtic ballad...one of his most beautiful...all acoustic on this one...

6.The Enchanter...Another nice blend of rock and african backrounds...

7.Takamba...A GEM in my opinion, along with the next song...the best of the album...between the cryptic lyrics and the rocking african style...excellent playing by everyone in the band.

8.Dancing in Heaven...awesome, just...awesome...african exquisite beats with acoustic candy...it's awesome. Some of the best vocal overlaying here by Robert since...ah...i don't know...Prescense?

9.Somebody Knocking...DESERT BLUES!! the most innovative song on here...i've never heard anyone else play this kinda blues...it's quite intriguing to listen to.

10.Let the Four Winds Blow...Jazzy Rock...it certainly gets heated in the middle and the lyrics are some of the best in years.

11.The Mighty Rearranger...STOMPING WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS BLUES!! harmonica solo included!

12.Brother Ray...a nice tribute to Ray Charles with fun piano followed by a redmixed shine it all around with steller vocal reverb! quite a fitting end i must say.

Overall i think it deserves better then the 3 1/2 stars that rolling stones gave it...i don't know what they were listening to... :confused:

i give it 4 1/2 out of 5....purely for the innovation displayed and the wide range of music employed...also...let's not forget the great voice Robert shows off at a ripe age of 56...i can't wait until i see 'em in june in AC NJ! it's gonna kick ass!