metallica

I just got done watching the metallica film "Some Kind of Monster." I liked it a lot.

My stance is that it really supliments the album "St. Anger"

I heard several songs from the album before seeing the movie and my belief was that the album was bad. I thought it was an obvious attempt by Metallica trying to appeal to the current state of popular music in their own, unique way... however, after seeing all the tension and internal struggle going on within the band, I decided that the music was a direct reflection of their moods and spirit at the time... the music was raw and without outside influence................... or maybe they just made a really good movie to further explain what couldn't be figured out by listening to the album?

what did you think of St. Anger having seen Some Kind of Monster?

I just got done watching the metallica film "Some Kind of Monster." I liked it a lot.

I heard several songs from the album before seeing the movie and my belief was that the album was bad. I thought it was an obvious attempt by Metallica trying to appeal to the current state of popular music in their own, unique way... however, after seeing all the tension and internal struggle going on within the band, I decided that the music was a direct reflection of their moods and spirit at the time... the music was raw and without outside influence................... or maybe they just made a really good movie to further explain what couldn't be figured out by listening to the album?

Awesome fucking post!

My view is a little different. I had followed the making of St. Anger since Metallica entered the studio. I had pretty much known what the album was about. I will admit that the quality of the album took me by surprise. After nearly 18 years (at that time) of being a Metallica fan, I had grown used to getting nothing but the best quality recordings from those guys. But this album was simple, it was raw, it was dirty. It's hard for me to explain to people who didn't follow the band through the making of St. Anger. To me, that album is more of a soundtrack to a therapy session, rather than another Metallica album. No, more like a journey of self-discovery. So really, I had liked the album long before I ever saw the movie. The movie is great too. For the first time, I got to see Metallica as regular people, instead of these 4 superbeings on stage. It was great. It totally made me respect them more.

I just got done watching the metallica film "Some Kind of Monster."  I liked it a lot. 

I heard several songs from the album before seeing the movie and my belief was that the album was bad.  I thought it was an obvious attempt by Metallica trying to appeal to the current state of popular music in their own, unique way... however, after seeing all the tension and internal struggle going on within the band, I decided that the music was a direct reflection of their moods and spirit at the time... the music was raw and without outside influence................... or maybe they just made a really good movie to further explain what couldn't be figured out by listening to the album?

Awesome fucking post!

My view is a little different. I had followed the making of St. Anger since Metallica entered the studio. I had pretty much known what the album was about. I will admit that the quality of the album took me by surprise. After nearly 18 years (at that time) of being a Metallica fan, I had grown used to getting nothing but the best quality recordings from those guys. But this album was simple, it was raw, it was dirty. It's hard for me to explain to people who didn't follow the band through the making of St. Anger. To me, that album is more of a soundtrack to a therapy session, rather than another Metallica album. No, more like a journey of self-discovery. So really, I had liked the album long before I ever saw the movie. The movie is great too. For the first time, I got to see Metallica as regular people, instead of these 4 superbeings on stage. It was great. It totally made me respect them more.

dude- this is weird. i just practiced heresy against metallica and napstered (actually, "limewire") st. anger. and yeah. this album is awesome.

shit, what an honest, out of this world surprise.

and yeah, i agree with what you said... it's definately more like a therapy session it sounds like, but that's great... i'm glad it is what it is. it's a very interesting and good album.

Can I just say METALLICA FUCKIN' KICK ARSE!!!

The movie brought some real insight into as to why the album turned out the way it is. I never used to like the album, but after watching the movie I began liking more and more.

I believe they should get rid of Bob Rock(producer since the Black Album). My opinion, Bob Rock is bringing Metallica down, sure the Black Album made them a hell of alot more well known, but the fans who have with them since before then, are not big fans of the Black Album, or Bob Rock.......I believe they can make way better music with out him.

And Dave and Lars tearful reunion rocked awesomely.

If Wayne Campbell saw this film he'd probably give it an "Excellent"

I just wish they showed James and Dave, I don't think those two have seen each other since the early 90s.

I kept seeing all this interviews with Mustaine and he said that he doesn't like how that bit of the film turned out. I didn't see anything wrong with it at all. In fact, I think it actually made Mustaine look better because for once he was discussing his problems in a civilized manner without whinning.

And Dave and Lars tearful reunion rocked awesomely.

If Wayne Campbell saw this film he'd probably give it an "Excellent"

I just wish they showed James and Dave, I don't think those two have seen each other since the early 90s.

I kept seeing all this interviews with Mustaine and he said that he doesn't like how that bit of the film turned out. I didn't see anything wrong with it at all. In fact, I think it actually made Mustaine look better because for once he was discussing his problems in a civilized manner without whinning.

Yeah, I agree, I liked it too. I couldn't believe I was hearing Dave talk about how he felt like he was in Metallica's shadow all the years- even after so many great albums and millions of dollars raked in, still, he wishes things could have been different.

To me, that was shining proof that money is NOT always the cure-all.

Interesting topic.

I haven't seen the movie, and probably won't. Longtime fan (typical fan of "like the old stuff, hate the new"-post 1990). St. Anger was just such a disapointment to me. I really wanted to like it, but just never could. I don't like the idea of having to watch a documentary to appreciate an album. I don't care what they were going through etc., I care about the final product of their efforts. If there was turmoil/problems etc- don't put out the record.

I wasted enough money on the Loads and Anger-let alone paying more to rent a DVD. They need one hell of a record next time around. Take 10 years if needed to put the pieces back together. Would love to see them kick some ass again on CD.

Does the Documentary explain why the snare drum sounds like a garbage can? Would love to hear Lars' excuse for that.