Most OVERRATED guitar player

Battlehawk

Ok you guys all had your chance to pick underrated, now lets shift 180 degrees.

not to diss all my Metallica Brethern, but Kirk Hammett is overrated, although Kirk is my favorite person in Metallica because he doesn't whine and try and make people hate him, people overrate him

Jimi Hendrix is also rated, Jimi is great but when you have people constantly have him as number 1, it gets annoying, dont doubt me, Jimi is one of my guitar heroes, just overrated

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill have to say Tom Morello. I just dont like his solos, they actually sound really bad in a few audioslave songs. he just scratches , strums a little, nothing complex at all. and people rate him amoungst the best of present times. Dont get me wrong, his playing sounded allright in RATM (basically because of Zachs raps), but usually they dont sound too good at all with Audioslave (Chris' vocals so dont go with scratching guitar sounds). If he stopped trying to do all that fancy crap, he could actually sound pretty good.

Kurt Cobain, average player, (would he even be mentioned as one of the best if he was alive)

People seem to think Kirk Hammett is over-rated. Maybe he is amongst the majority of metal fans but when it comes to internet fans all you hear is "Wah Abuser", "Over-rated" bla bla bla. I admit Hammett isn't the greatest, but he used to be awesome, one of my personal favourites.

Hendrix I'd agree on.

Cobain, well he was hardly a guitarist in the first place.

Kerry King. Well he's good..........sometimes.

Yeah I'll say Kurt Cobain. He may have been a great songwriter but he was an unremarkable guitarist. He was good at what he did but his solos are unimaginative and are mostly boring.

While I agree that Hammett is a bit of a wah abuser, especially on the Reload album, I don't think he is overrated. For the most part though, his solos have gotten less impressive since The Black Album. Hope the next album actually has solos and they are better than the lacking solos on Reload.

Kurt Cobain may have been a great songwriter

He wasn't. He's one of the most overrated songwriters ever.

He was good at what he did

Garbage men are also good at what they do, but the still work with trash.

I don't think Hammett is overrated

Yeah, he is. Everyone's under the impression that he's a guitar god, but he's done virtually nothing (apart from some flashy solos) to suggest he is so.

Edited by Lumiere

Kurt Cobain, Slash, and Jack White are pretty overrated. Slash is definately a music icon, but thats partly because of his presence and stage persona. He's a great guitarist, but I HATE it when people compare him to the likes Jimmy Page. :angry:

Edit-- Add one more: Joe Perry.

Edited by shiaobundan

On these boards slash is definatly over rated ;)

Hendrix is always number one, cause he started it all, most people were moving in one direction(music wise), and hendrix took this turn and just played the most original shit. he was an icon of the time. There will never be no one like hendrix. Thats why he is the greatest. I mean he was only 24 - 25 when he died wasnt he? And look at all he accomplished.

Kirk Hammet is only over rated, cause when kiddi's first pick up guitar its usually cause of kirk hammet. And im guilty as well. For the first 6 months of playing guitar, i thought kirk hammet was the greatest ever, no one could touch him. Than i got into led zeppeln, and gnr, and queen, and hendrix :P

Kurt Cobain

Hendrix, he is a God but is slightly overrated.

Who else? Any guitarist now. Just because they put their thing at max and play random rubbish, people think they're great.

There's another one that pooped to my head but I love him so much I won't post him. Beside, he wasn't overrated, really.