Most OVERRATED guitar player

Battlehawk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimi Hendrix - he's far from the best ever. He was more of an innovator, if it wasn't for him, eric clapton, and few other fellows, guitar wouldn't be like it is today.

Kurt Cobain - THis guy got 1 or 2 in mtv's top 22 guitarists? no way, hes not very good at all, very boring solos. very sloppy. don't say, "but thats grunge man", that don't mean shit.

Slash - yep, I said it, Slash. Not nearly as good as people say he is.

Jimmy Page - nothing special, but everyone acts like hes some guitar god.

I don't know if I want to agree with people who say that Hammet is overrated. I never hear anyone talking aobut how good he is or anything. He is an amazing guitar player who has wrote some of the coolest (and best) solos I've ever heard.

Not the best, but not overrated.

Edited by forcechangenow

Yeah I dont see why everybody hates Hammett. He has written great solos like Fade to Black, Master of Puppets, One, every solo in Sanitarium and many others. Yeah alot of his post-Black Album solos were pretty boring and no he is not one of the ten greatest players or anything but I love Hammetts playing.

Edited by Appetite18

on muchmoremusic's power hour they had a special top 10 guitar gods and kirk hammet was #1...he beat out people like page,slash,randy rhodes,mustaine,hendrix,angus :monkey:

the only competition Hammet has on that list is Rhoads, and maybe Mustaine, and I find him better that both of them.

I will say Eric Clapton,man I am so tired of hearing his shit on the radio,come on already! He's got the whole classic rock scene BRAINWASHED! Also this guy opened up for AC/DC one night,his name was like Invay Malnstien or something ,man did he suck!At the time(late 80s) all my friends were worshipping this dude,yuck!And don't forget Ace Frehley,I thought every other Kiss guitarist was lightyears ahead of him.

A lot of this anger towards Kurt Cobain comes from the fact that the arrival of Nirvana basically ended GNR's career

The "Nirvana Killed Metal" recieved opinion is complete crap. Think about other bands that were flourishing at the same time Nirvana were; Metallica and Faith No More, for example. They utilised metal in their sound, and still shifted stupid amounts of units. Case in point; Metallica's eponymous 1991 album (AKA The Black Album) was released in the same year as Nevermind, yet has outsold it entirely. Not a statement on quality, but a statement on the aforementioned bollocks myth.

Also, I couldn't give to shits about most GN'R post Appetite For Destruction.

Face it - what good did GNR do after the grunge scene came? I'll tell you what they did. Spaghetti Incident and then broke up.

GN'R were pretty much fucked anyway, owing to Axl's primadonna demeanour and anti-fan sentiment, and most of the band leaving/having left. The release of an appalling covers album (with one of the worst front covers ever) was the final nail in the GN'R coffin.

Most of you wouldn't know good music if it kicked you in the ass.

Funnily enough, good music does 'kick you in the ass' (to use an inept paraphrasement of a colloquial saying). Nirvana don't kick you in the posterior with their music - they bore you to tears with their [his] pretentious lyrics and shitty instrumentation.

By the way - Metallica truly suck balls. The most obvious, boring guitar riffs ever.

I'd say you'd have to be pretty fucking dense not to see Nirvana's shitty, repetetive power chord workouts coming a mile off, but then again you're fairly blinkered and ignorant.

Axl Rose Child.....You've been served

The "Nirvana Killed Metal" recieved opinion is complete crap.

Nirvana don't kick you in the posterior with their music - they bore you to tears with their [his] pretentious lyrics and shitty instrumentation.

1. Post-Nirvana, GNR died. Metallica went shit. Faith No More died. Your point is useless.

2. If Nirvana did 'bore you to tears' I highly doubt they would have gone straight to #1 in the Billboard charts with an album that recieved hardly any promotion.

(And by the way, had Nirvana have lived I assure you they would have NEVER have brought out albums as shit as "St. Anger" or "Contrband")

B)

Guest Twisted Metal

Jimi Hendrix is very overrated he is good n' all but like for his time. NO one played like the way he did in the 60s and now we have better guitarists out there. rock2

1. Post-Nirvana, GNR died.

Did you bother to read my post? GN'R were fucked after the release of Use Your Illusion I+II and the subsequent tour. The band were a wreck, band members were dropping like flies, Axl was seemingly doing his best to kill of his fanbase...GN'R were a dead duck. They killed themselves.

Metallica went shit.

So we can thank Kurt Cobain for Metallica's turn to the medicore? I suppose he contacted James Hetfield and ordered him to become shite before he topped himself? Metallica's decline in quality has nothing to do with Nirvana's (much overstated) influence on the music world.

Faith No More died.

Yet still managed to produce a belter of an album, and score two massive hits in the process?

To paraphrase yourself, your points are useless.

If Nirvana did 'bore you to tears'

Yeah, they bore me to tears. The morons that are the general public lapped it up though, like the sick puppies that they are.

I highly doubt they would have gone straight to #1 in the Billboard charts

I think you're confused as to what the term 'straight to #1' means. It means for an album to debut at the top spot. Nevermind certainly did not debut at #1.

with an album that recieved hardly any promotion.

Are you bloody joking? Before Nevermind was released, the Smells Like Teen Spirit video and single were already on constant rotation on the radio and MTV. Nirvana played a fair few in-store shows to promote Nevermind. Posters bearing the famous album cover, and the album's title and release date were splattered all over record shops.

Hardly any promotion? Bah.

Had Nirvana have lived I assure you they would have NEVER have brought out albums as shit as "St. Anger" or "Contrband"

By 1994, Nirvana were totally moribund. Fans had started to forget, the press had started to forget, the public had started to forget. Kurt's death may not have secured Nirvana fame, but it sure did grant them immortality.

OK who the hell ISN'T overrated then? You guys have listed every major guitarist there is, multiple times. Slash, Angus Young, Clapton, Hendrix, Richards, Hammet, Perry, Page, Morello...

What does overrated even mean? These people all made extremely memorable and popular music and changed music history, what do you want from them?

OK who the hell ISN'T overrated then? You guys have listed every major guitarist there is, multiple times. Slash, Angus Young, Clapton, Hendrix, Richards, Hammet, Perry, Page, Morello...

What does overrated even mean? These people all made extremely memorable and popular music and changed music history, what do you want from them?

every single guy you mentioned there, their rating is justified.

They did something right to earn the praise right?

every single guy you mentioned there, their rating is justified.

They did something right to earn the praise right?

Exactly, so this whole thread is kind of stupid :).

Slash

Overrated.

Why? Well, just look at all the adulation and praise heaped upon him on this forum. Crimony. I've heard Slash play some great solos, I've heard some nice Slash riffs - but nothing that makes him deserving of greatest guitarist ever status.

Angus Young

Great guitarist, but he relies on similar-sounding chords and self-plaigarism.

Clapton

Overrated.

He has a horrible tendency to repeat himself. He's also made some of the most turgid, boring albums ever. The only products with his name on them worth a shit are Disraeli Gears, Layla, and Roger Waters' Pros & Cons Of Hitchhiking.

Hendrix

I can never call Hendrix overrated, because he started everything. Much like idiots nowadays refer to The Beatles as overrated, just because they're hackneyed and antiquated.

As for Morrello? He's no guitarist, he's an effects-pedalist. Hammett is stupidly overrated too.